Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] The Guardian and EPL 2 ?

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
Seems a bit odd. I thought that it was already something like the 5th most watched league?

I gave up reading part way through, mainly because I thought it was awful. For me it is more a case of more money needing to go to the Football League (as a whole) than to bring more clubs in to the Premier League big bucks while others go out of business

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
I refuse to read the Guardian or Independent due to Brexit. Can you copy and paste ?

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I refuse to read the Guardian or Independent due to Brexit. Can you copy and paste ?

You realise if someone does that you'd still be reading the Guardian? :shrug:

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Doing so will involve detachment from the EFL before reducing the 24-team, 46-game format to a sleek 18-club, 34-game programme mirroring a similarly revamped top tier.

So 8 Championship teams will be relegated into the EFL.

So currently B'ham Middlesbrough, Charlton, Huddersfield, Stoke, Wigan, Barnsley and Luton all relegated. And Middlesbrough were one of the clubs being put forward by the Guardian for PL2 membership.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
At it's heart the article identifies the problem pretty well. The third most watched football league in the world has next to no audience outside of its own bubble.

The article however thinks we should remedy this by doing away with the other 42 teams in the pyramid and ditch the football league. A Premier League 2 won't solve anything apart from stopping the top six from breaking away for a little longer.

Makes far more sense to me for the EFL to repackage their TV rights and bring it inhouse. Sell it in a Netflix style on demand service across the world at a cheap monthly price, (like video below suggests the PL should) and create an income that satisfies the whole football league creating an interesting, more balanced pyramid where all clubs throughout the leagues get an equal share of TV money.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Doing so will involve detachment from the EFL before reducing the 24-team, 46-game format to a sleek 18-club, 34-game programme mirroring a similarly revamped top tier.

So 8 Championship teams will be relegated into the EFL.

So currently B'ham Middlesbrough, Charlton, Huddersfield, Stoke, Wigan, Barnsley and Luton all relegated. And Middlesbrough were one of the clubs being put forward by the Guardian for PL2 membership.

Sunderland were also put forward. Despite being dogturd in League One. Really rubbish from Louise Taylor.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
A mixture of rubbish and the bleedin' obvious.

"At present falling into the Championship feels like dropping off the edge of the world. "

No shit, Sherlock. And after the changes (if implemented) falling into League 1 will feel like dropping off the edge of the world. As dropping into the National League does now. Maybe we should just ditch promotion and relegation altogether ................... :facepalm:

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
At it's heart the article identifies the problem pretty well. The third most watched football league in the world has next to no audience outside of its own bubble.

The article however thinks we should remedy this by doing away with the other 42 teams in the pyramid and ditch the football league. A Premier League 2 won't solve anything apart from stopping the top six from breaking away for a little longer.

Makes far more sense to me for the EFL to repackage their TV rights and bring it inhouse. Sell it in a Netflix style on demand service across the world at a cheap monthly price, (like video below suggests the PL should) and create an income that satisfies the whole football league creating an interesting, more balanced pyramid where all clubs throughout the leagues get an equal share of TV money.

The PL top 6 won’t break away, we’ve heard that non-story for the best part of 30 years.

Their income from all sources grows exponentially, they’re relatively happy with their financial lot.

Besides, who are the top 6, Leicester, Sheff Utd?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
It's the height of dumbness. This is not about recognition but purely about the £s. And the facts are that the big bucks go to the top league and always will. Whether they are branded EPL2 or whatever, they will still be the second division.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería

She's also the Guardian's North East correspondent. If none of the region's clubs is in the top flight it restricts her column inches.

Having read a fair few of her Guardian articles over the years, I've never felt she's anti-Newcastle. Quite the opposite in fact. But I guess being a Mackem is more than enough to make her a hate figure among Toon fans. That blog writer's particular gripe is ridiculous though- it would've been rather remiss of her to not mention Carroll smashing Taylor's jaw, wouldn't it?

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003

Would you like us to delete all facts from the piece, and add some slogans?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here