Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Long form sports documentaries.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Chatting with [MENTION=87]Brightonfan1983[/MENTION] and ESPN's 30 for 30 series cropped up.
For those that don't know they were hour long documentaries on one specific team/race/moment.

A bit 'warts n all' but done with passion and commitment to the event in question.

The Athletic but without all the boring words!!
'Classic Albums' but without all the boring music!!

Anyhoo I was wondering if anything similar has been made recently, that's past me by.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Chatting with [MENTION=87]Brightonfan1983[/MENTION] and ESPN's 30 for 30 series cropped up.
For those that don't know they were hour long documentaries on one specific team/race/moment.

A bit 'warts n all' but done with passion and commitment to the event in question.

Anyhoo I was wondering if anything similar has been made recently, that's past me by.

Shed loads on Amazon/Netflix - I think we must be the only team left not to have a mini series. Only watched the Sunderland one in full though. But if you don't want fly on the wall ones then I only know of older ones - the Swansea one was very good. Jack to a King or some such.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
At the risk of hijacking the thread, might as well add in some decent old ones on Youtube.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Shed loads on Amazon/Netflix - I think we must be the only team left not to have a mini series. Only watched the Sunderland one in full though. But if you don't want fly on the wall ones then I only know of older ones - the Swansea one was very good. Jack to a King or some such.

Thanks, but sorry, assuming I'm right and they are 'fly on the wall', 'in the moment' programmes that's not quite what I meant.

I'm wondering if there are any Talking Heads retrospective series, tucked away one of the bazillion new channels, on say stuff like Italia 90, or Steve Redgrave, Daley Thompson, Ian Botham, et al.
Basically the stuff that influenced us and more importantly the people who have now aged into programme makers and execs.

Build A Bonfire would make a great show to be aired just before our debut in The Champions League Final.

I think Arsenal have an Invincibles film, I guess that ought to be watched before it becomes overshadowed!

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Thanks, but sorry, assuming I'm right and they are 'fly on the wall', 'in the moment' programmes that's not quite what I meant.

I'm wondering if there are any Talking Heads retrospective series, tucked away one of the bazillion new channels, on say stuff like Italia 90, or Steve Redgrave, Daley Thompson, Ian Botham, et al.
Basically the stuff that influenced us and more importantly the people who have now aged into programme makers and execs.

Build A Bonfire would make a great show to be aired just before our debut in The Champions League Final.

I think Arsenal have an Invincibles film, I guess that ought to be watched before it becomes overshadowed!

Not sure if you like your baseball but on Netflix The battered ******** of baseball is an excellent watch. Retrospective on a minor league team owned and run by actor Kurt Russell’s father in the 70s. Marvellous viewing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Not sure if you like your baseball but on Netflix The battered ******** of baseball is an excellent watch. Retrospective on a minor league team owned and run by actor Kurt Russell’s father in the 70s. Marvellous viewing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks I'll give it a whirl.

The point we were agreeing with was basically just how good the 30 for 30's are, irrespective of the sport in question.

When done properly I'll watch anything.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004

The BT Sport Films are all excellent

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here