Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Walking Poles

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
Anyone use them?

I'll be undertaking a fairly serious week's walking tour later in the year. I'm generally fairly fit but I'm slightly concerned about the ability of my increasingly arthritic frame to make it. Now I fully understand that walking poles make you look a right knob, but that aside, do they actually help take the load off knees, ankles etc?

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
gettyimages-2432344-612x612.jpg

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Yes, but it's worthwhile doing some training with them as you'll be using the muscles in your arms differently.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
They don’t make you look a knob. In my experience, a long walk without them, at any age or fitness, is ill advised. I look at the people without them and know they’re gonna wish they’d used them.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Anyone use them?

I'll be undertaking a fairly serious week's walking tour later in the year. I'm generally fairly fit but I'm slightly concerned about the ability of my increasingly arthritic frame to make it. Now I fully understand that walking poles make you look a right knob, but that aside, do they actually help take the load off knees, ankles etc?

Loads of serious ultramarathon people use them (does cause a bit of debate now and again as to whether it’s cheating’ [emoji23][emoji23]), particularly if the terrain is hilly or technical, so they must help. Definitely need practice though.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Unless you have an underlying condition, knees, hips or something, just extra energy in carrying extra weight and your arms doing more work than they need to. Pain in the arse if the terrain gets a bit rugged and uneven. Kind of one of those marketing things where you wonder for the past 1000s of years how did we get about without walking poles...

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Unless you have an underlying condition, knees, hips or something, just extra energy in carrying extra weight and your arms doing more work than they need to. Pain in the arse if the terrain gets a bit rugged and uneven. Kind of one of those marketing things where you wonder for the past 1000s of years how did we get about without walking poles...

Eh? That's exactly when they're useful no?

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
All good advice above. Most useful on descents to take some load off the knees especially: but some effort does transfer to the arms and shoulders, so practise a bit before you go. Don't skimp on price, get lightweight, telescopic with shock absorbing springs. Leki used to be the gold standard and maybe are still. Look on YouTube to understand how to set the length of the poles... depends on your height and different if going up or down hills. Hold them to the side of your walking 'path' and not in the middle or between your legs!!! Easy to get used to with a bit of prep and practice. And...enjoy your walking!!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I spend a bit of time in France in the summer and a restaurant we use is on the Chemin St Jacques route. We see loads of walkers as we go there (by car obviously!) and I’d say 99% of the walkers are using sticks. I guess that tells it’s own story as they are all pretty serious walkers. Occasionally they pop into the restaurant for a drink/meal and we have had a number of conversations with them (French restaurants being very sociable). Some of these guys and girls are on month plus walks.

Recidivist

Apr 28, 2019
Worthing
I made it up to Everest base camp and don’t think I’d have got there without them so yes, they’re really useful.

P.s. don’t recommend following my example. It’s bl***y cold up there in a tent......!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here