Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Calling the ticket office/supporter services – premium rate numbers

I called the club to move my ST seat and buy two extra tickets, all dealt with very efficiently and helpfully by the staff.

But I didn't realise the 0844 number the club use is 'Premium Rate' and the call from my mobile cost me £6!

Apparently we are one of only 17 clubs still using premium numbers, and only Palace are worse than us in the Premier League. I ran a search on NSC but couldn't find any threads on this topic before. Having been going to matches for 20+ years I've rarely needed to speak to them, but surely this is something that affects a lot of you?

Screenshot 2020-02-07 at 11.46.18.png
Screenshot 2020-02-07 at 11.46.28.png
Screenshot 2020-02-07 at 11.46.47.png

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I would only call them if I absolutely needed to. Otherwise email is the answer as I like to avoid unnecessary charges. Well done OP.

I would only call them if I absolutely needed to. Otherwise email is the answer as I like to avoid unnecessary charges. Well done OP.

I would normally email, but wanted to secure three seats together so I could bring my wife and step son to the Arsenal match. There were a few seats in a row on the seating plan, when I refreshed the page only three were left so I called the club quickly to secure the seats whilst moving from my usual ST seat to be together.

A couple of days later spotted a load of extra charges on my mobile account and started investigating.

0344 324 6282 is the non-premium number for everything, other than match day or ST purchases.

Obviously that would not have helped the OP in this instance, but his thread header included "supporter services".

Thanks. Someone told me that supporter services were the people to speak to for moving my ST seat for a one-off match, so I called that number first. But they can't help with anything that involves buying tickets.

Credit to the club, the person I spoke to did a great job of sorting it out. Just the £6 additional bill on my mobile bill was a surprise – added nearly 10% onto the cost of the tickets.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
"You've called the Seagull Line on Brighton 8049, it's the number for Albion information every day, twenty four hours a day, Brighton 8049"

Eddiespearritt

May 23, 2012
Central Europe
You're not a fan - you're a customer, to be squeezed for every penny of possible revenue.

Oh and by the way, "matchday income from customers is now largely irrelevant, TV revenue is all that matters".

So why we still have the sharp practice of "admin fees" added to ticket prices is another mystery.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
You're not a fan - you're a customer, to be squeezed for every penny of possible revenue.

Oh and by the way, "matchday income from customers is now largely irrelevant, TV revenue is all that matters".

So why we still have the sharp practice of "admin fees" added to ticket prices is another mystery.

If you actually go to the ticket office and buy an away ticket you are still charged £1 admin fee

LadySeagull

Jan 21, 2011
Portslade
https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/c...-a-premium-rate-phone-charge-or-text-message/

Complain - this is not allowed (against the law) for a customer service number. AFAIK this has been illegal since June 2014.

If you want to check a premium rate number on your bill, you can use the number checker on the PSA website. As well as identifying the premium rate service, the facility will let you know whether it is under investigation for any reason and of any action PSA is taking.

You can make a formal complaint about a PRS provider by:

- completing the online form on the PSA website
- calling its helpline - 0300 30 300 20 (open 09.30 – 17.00 Monday – Friday)
- writing to Phone-paid Services Authority, 25th Floor, 40 Bank Street, London E14 5NR.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The use of premium rate calls in these circumstances is unacceptable, and is charging a 'service charge' for selling you a ticket. It should be banned immediately - so if anyone knows of a UGov petition about this, point me to it - I'll be on it like Flynn!

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I got done for £7 buying a couple of tickets on the morning of the Liverpool game. Joke really! Luckily he gave me an extra tenner anyway. It’s good to be a tout sometimes you know.

ac gull

Jul 7, 2003
midlands
Called the shop to chase up a refund re item posted back two weeks ago - cost £5.85 re calling from a mobile - couldn't answer my question and said would call me back which they never did - missing refund went through later that day though

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Unacceptable. I called up customer services for a bus company a year or so ago regarding lost property. After a queue and 8 quid later they suggested i call back in a few days to check if the bag had been handed on. Just some wilko pens and something to hand pictures up. As their customer service didnt do outbound to call me back i pointed out quickly it would be cheaper to just buy the goods again. So i did that.

Eddiespearritt

May 23, 2012
Central Europe
If you actually go to the ticket office and buy an away ticket you are still charged £1 admin fee

Also happened to me for the HOME match against Leyton Orient in the Checkatrade Cup a couple of years ago for an Under 23 game. £10 + £1 admin fee.

Bought a ticket at the window - walked 5 yards and through the turnstile into my seat. Admin fee = another cheap way to fleece people.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Stadium is too small, nobody signs, nobody sings, you have to pay to phone up, you have to pay for tickets to be delivered, we're in a relegation scrap.

Makes you wonder why we bother.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Have had this problem a couple of times this season when the online ticketing system has not been working properly. Really hacks me off to have to pay through the nose when there is no alternative. I'm pretty much on board with anything the club does to make a bit of money usually but premium rate numbers are a scam, especially as the worse the service is, the more you have to cough up.

The red pepper kid

Dec 30, 2014
must admit I only use the company phone to ring them due to this issue , realistically speaking they give us interest free season ticket purchase and free travel, its all a far cry from the goldstone and priestfield days when the club was desperate ----- of absolutely no relevance at all !!!!!!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here