Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Drinking] Buying a beer for a mate who's running late.....

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
Had an argument at work where no one has heard of the phrase "can you put a pint in the bin for <insert name here> he/she's running late".

Over to NSC to see if this is just me :(

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Never heard of it

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Throwing their pint in the bin is a bit extreme, just sort them out when they get there or they accept they've missed a round and need to get the next one in. Probably the next as a punishment for being late too. :thumbsup:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Standard.

Often used when buying a round and someone is a bit behind - theirs is "put in the bin".

Not the sort of thing that's likely to happen on a Saturday night out in a town/city centre pub, but in your local, very much so.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Yep, if you're getting a round in and someone is on their way, its perfectly common practice to put one in the bin for when they arrive.

Bit more tricky in DICKS though. If someone is running late and I have the rare luxury of a table, then I'll buy them a pint and have it ready on the table for when they arrive, as I don't think they'd grasp the concept of one in the bin there. However, if I'm table-less then I will not buy it in advance, as I'll be stuck there holding 2 pints till he arrives, and if he's a while I'd probably end up drinking his as well anyway.

Petunia

Living the dream
NSC Patron
May 8, 2013
Downunder
Blimey. Having worked behind the bar for many years I have put hundreds of drinks “in the bin”.

Having said that I haven’t been behind the bar for a long while so maybe it’s not the done thing anymore!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Had an argument at work where no one has heard of the phrase "can you put a pint in the bin for <insert name here> he/she's running late".

Over to NSC to see if this is just me :(

Not just you. One in the bin elevated itself to a catchphrase at one point in my life. Standard for regular pub-going types.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
Regular event in the days of pints being cheaper.
It would be 'bin' or 'pipes' but always shoved one in if first in the pub for a nights drinking.

Very much this. Round my parts we leave it 'in the pipes' for them.

Or, just get the pint in and leave it on the table. If it is warm and a bit flat then they were much later than they said they would be and it's their own fault

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here