Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Has Big Sam been on the pints of wine again?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Liverpool, ManC and Wolves all successfully play long, direct passes to counter eg from defending corners or breaking a high press. Quite often by their goalies with expertly placed punts. Just another attacking bow to their armouries.

Once we have the players, we’ll mix it up more.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
maybe he meant Liverpool play a long-ball with style?

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
Well call it what you want, I’ll be happy with another 20 seasons worth ��!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
So what how the Albion purists describe Dunks delicious 40-50-60 yard cross ball passes out to the wings? Pretty tippy tappy stuff?

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
“Sam Allardyce says Liverpool play a long-ball style but "nobody will say it"

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/news/sa...gue-play-a-long-ball-style-nobody-will-say-it

He’ll be claiming he’s good enough to manage Real Madrid next......oh.

Delusional dinosaur of a manager. Not surprised he's been out of work for a few years. A bit of a job advert this article is though - hey I'm here and can manage a PL team or get one up from the Championship and all bungs greatfully accepted (allegedly).

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Should this not be in the ‘Gammon’ thread?

Classic gammon rubbish where their world has to be black and white, according to Fat Sam, you either play long ball or tippy tappy. The truth is both Liverpool and City mix up their play with quick, direct balls when it’s the right time but they also play it out from the back. It’s hardly Segers lumping it up for Fashanu to flick on to Holdsworth. Or Jaaskelainen lumping it up for Kevin Davies to flick on to Kevin Nolan more appropriately.

Playing it our from the back is not “cooked” as the dinosaur puts it, it’s another successful tactic to be used along with accurate and direct, longer balls to turn over play quickly. Moron.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Utter bobbins from Allardyce. Targeted long passes are NOT "long ball". The game at this level has come a long way from humping it aimlessly down the channels for someone to chase after in order to earn a throw-in. Thats not to say it NEVER happens, there's a time and a place for relieving pressure. But its not a consistent tactic employed by teams these days, at least not the ones I've been watching.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Utter bobbins from Allardyce. Targeted long passes are NOT "long ball". The game at this level has come a long way from humping it aimlessly down the channels for someone to chase after in order to earn a throw-in. Thats not to say it NEVER happens, there's a time and a place for relieving pressure. But its not a consistent tactic employed by teams these days, at least not the ones I've been watching.

You've just brought back memories of our once player of the season, Whing, doing what he did best back in the days when we used to clap someone being able to win us throw ins.

Not sure how i'm going to sleep now. Cheers.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Come on people read the subtext.

Big Sam spent half his life running away from 'long ball' accusations.
Yet can't shake the fact that Long Ball = Big Sam.

Big Sam now out of work embracing the words 'long' & 'ball' along with 'Liverpool'.

Not exactly an Enigma Code.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Man City for me are a joy to watch when they are on it, Liverpool sometimes with the help from officials on occasion scrape over the line, they do play balls over the top to find Sala & Marne, It’s all about opinions I guess to whether it’s direct football or not.

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
Warnock must have had a liquid breakfast a day or two ago. He was telling Alan Brazil that Jack Grealish reminds him of Eric Cantona, on the football pitch.

Barcelona and Real Madrid are apparently interested in Grealish according to the red-tops:mad:

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
No time for the man but he got one over Gus. After a dreadful negative West Ham bored a 0-0 at the Amex there was a fair bit of chat from Gus about how dull and defensive Big Sam was.
Return match 6-0.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Fat Sam talks a load of crap and is clearly a dodgy get, but I've spoken to a couple of top end taxi drivers who've ferried him around quite a bit and both said that he's a really nice bloke. Polite, down to earth and a good laugh unlike some other football "dignitaries" who are rude "don't you know who I am" type wankers.

These comments are clearly just self promotion, which he's always been very good at!

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
I think big Sam is looking at the number of long passes Liverpool make, 4th most in the league, but forgetting that because they make so many more passes of all types than everyone else, their percentage of long balls is actually 3rd or 4th lowest.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
When Glenn Hoddle played 40 yard passes, everyone used to praise his vision and technique. When anybody else tried it, it was an aimless hoof. The best teams play in a way that gets the best out of their players and if you have Salah and mane up front you'd be crazy to ask them to play with their backs to goal, hold the ball up and wait for the midfield to get up in support.

Big Sam is a clever guy and tactically underrated. He got the maximum out of some very average players at Bolton and Blackburn, but also signed stars such as Jay-Jay Okocha. And his reaction to the new interpretation of the offside law was brilliant. He realised that if players were not automatically offside until they became active, you could put players in offside positions almost on the goalline from free kicks and let the assistant referee try to remember who was where if any of them scored in a later phase of play.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here