Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Summer transfer window moving back to end of August

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Premier clubs would prefer close at start of season but when no other leagues followed had no option but to revert back in line. Was a farce at start of this season when other league could sign our players but were unable to replace them.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Premier clubs would prefer close at start of season but when no other leagues followed had no option but to revert back in line. Was a farce at start of this season when other league could sign our players but were unable to replace them.

Just out of interest, how many clubs actually suffered in that way?

Alternatively, we could start the season on 1st. September instead of invading the cricket season - 34 weekends between then and the end of April; add on a couple more weekends in May and you've only got two midweek games to fit in - if they stopped farting about with international breaks and winter breaks of course. Half the PL plays their kids in the cups anyway, and those that are in Europe? Just unlucky, I guess (and there are a lot of clubs who just wish they could be that unlucky!)

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
Why couldn't they say the window shuts at the start of August (before the season starts) and that applies to transfers in and out for premier league clubs.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Why couldn't they say the window shuts at the start of August (before the season starts) and that applies to transfers in and out for premier league clubs.

Because the issue is that it doesn’t align with the wants of the European transfer market, putting English clubs at a disadvantage.

Essentially, the PL tried to set the tone and expected the rest to follow suit. This didn’t happen.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
It seemed as if the transfers out post window (Locadia/Andone) seemed to work for us. I wonder if we voted for or against?

A1X

NSC Patreon
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Moving it was a farce. Having it before the season would be fine if everyone else did it (personally I think there should be two two months transfer windows of Dec-Jan and Jun-Jul) but doing it unilaterally was a dumb move.

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
Because the issue is that it doesn’t align with the wants of the European transfer market, putting English clubs at a disadvantage.

Essentially, the PL tried to set the tone and expected the rest to follow suit. This didn’t happen.

Before this new change PL clubs could buy and sell up to the start of the season, while European clubs could buy and sell until a few weeks later. The issue last summer was that when our window had shut for buying it was still open for selling. Why not just shut the window for PL clubs (ins and outs) before the season starts, that wouldn't be a disadvantage for PL clubs. If anything it would force the rest of Europe to act quickly if they wanted PL players.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
It seemed as if the transfers out post window (Locadia/Andone) seemed to work for us. I wonder if we voted for or against?

You really think binning off Andone after the window had closed and it was impossible for us to sign a replacement worked for us?

It left us with Maupay, a young kid and an old legend in the striker department. If one of three picks up an injury or gets suspended we are really short of viable options. If we stay up then you could possibly claim it worked for us. I would rather not have taken the risk.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
It should be for 2 hours on the first Monday of July, all recruitment teams meet in one location with agents auctioning their players off to the highest bidder. Can then be made into a tv show they can sell around the world, lets also add managers into the equation.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Just out of interest, how many clubs actually suffered in that way?

I would say 'I can think of one which would have taken the opportunity to bring in a striker'.

But as that didn't happen over the following 6 months either, it would seem a fairly moot point.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
You really think binning off Andone after the window had closed and it was impossible for us to sign a replacement worked for us?

It left us with Maupay, a young kid and an old legend in the striker department. If one of three picks up an injury or gets suspended we are really short of viable options. If we stay up then you could possibly claim it worked for us. I would rather not have taken the risk.

But it worked on the premise that the club didn't want to hold on to him for the sake of having a fourth option. Getting rid of a player that Paul Hayward noted "could hold his leaving do in a phone box" was clearly seen by the club as a better option (for squad harmony) than keeping him in and around the team. It therefore worked in our favour.

If the club wanted to bring in a better striker, they have failed miserably over the past two transfer windows. They've had ample time to get someone in - GP and DA clearly feel that it isn't a priority and fingers crossed that they are correct.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I personally think we should scrap the transfer window altogether.

Really, what is the point in it.

Think that clubs should be allowed to sign players any time up until the end of January.

In days gone by the deadline was in March although you could still sign players after that date but they couldn't play in matches affecting promotion or relegation. The downside was that clubs with the money could sign players to either avoid relegation or gain prom option up until March and no money no signings.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
It seems most clubs, including us, obviously only do any business in the last 24 hours anyway.

Open it across Europe on 1st August, close it on the 2nd August.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here