Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The Goldstone in wartime

tonyt

Feb 23, 2009
From The West Hove News via The Keep archive.
The Goldstone in wartime.
Interesting read!

E6BB20C1-C4CE-444E-AEA7-2423A2495BF1.jpeg

tonyt

Feb 23, 2009
Sorry. Not sure how to post the article properly!

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
Did Brighton get bombed that often during the war? Was it considered a target? Were Brighton children evacuated?

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Yes Brighton was bombed many times during the last war, (Newhaven where the docks were, was also heavily targetted). I believe a couple of hundred lives were lost n the area.

Many children were evacuated too, one addition concern for parents being that Brighton, being on the south coast, could be in the invasion area.

half time scores

Mar 19, 2012
Lounging-on-the-chintz
On 14 September 1940 a lone Dornier bomber had become separated from its main group and dropped twenty 100 pound bombs
across Edward Street and the Upper Rock Gardens area. Two bombs hit the Odeon cinema in Kemp Town killing four children and
two adults along with a further 48 people killed in the surrounding area. This would prove to be the worst raid for casualties inflicted
during the war

At 12.25pm on 25 May 1943 the town was attacked by 25 to 30 German Focke-Wulf 190 aircraft. 22 bombs of 500 kg were dropped
and the streets were machine-gunned during the five-minute raid. Fatalities included ten men, twelve women and two children. An
additional 58 people were seriously injured and a further 69 people were slightly injured. 150 houses were made uninhabitable and
more than 500 people were made homeless. One of the central piers in the 20-metre (65 feet) high London Road railway viaduct was demolished. There was severe damage to railway workshops and rolling stock. This was the worst raid for damage inflicted on the
town during the war with 150 homes made uninhabitable and the Black Rock Gasworks was set on fire.

Superseagull

Jul 8, 2003
Is it an urban Myth that Brighton was not heavily bombed as Hitler was eyeing up the Royal Pavilion as his UK holiday pad if the Nazis invaded Britain successfully? Thought I had read it somewhere?

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Brighton wartime stats:

July 1940-March 1944

56 raids
381 bombs

98 fatalities
790 Injured

200 Houses demolished
894 Badly damaged

Source: David Rowland- The Brighton Blitz

I had contact with David a few years back. Like my Dad he lived during the war and survived a machine gun raid. He's written a couple of excellent books. Look them up.

The above stats are for Brighton rather than Hove.

I'm not sure what the warden at the Goldstone hoped to achieve. 12,000 folk running for cover ((and during the Blitz) will still leave sitting ducks. Not sure these events should have been held.

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
Thanks for the replies everyone, all of them interesting. I’ve learnt a lot and shall look out for the book [MENTION=29192]Brighton Lines[/MENTION] mentioned.

Eeyore

NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014

Eeyore

NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
@BG is in the pic, on Home Guard duty, in between rants by telegram about the club's transfer policy.

No, Ulloa's penalty has entered a time vortex. It's in the official records. The ball landed on a house in Shoreham.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Morley Street School Clinic received a direct hit killing several as were lower rock gardens Edwards street was machine gunned my Grans house had its windows blown out when a bomb fell in the street

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
No, Ulloa's penalty has entered a time vortex. It's in the official records. The ball landed on a house in Shoreham.

That's interesting, as the ball was blasted high over the north stand roof, it should betravelling in an entirely different direction, maybe it deflected off Uranus and headed south west instead. :lol:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here