Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Ashworth has ‘major say in [the Albion’s] first team’

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
In a really good piece by Naylor, the thread title was the main thing I saw. Not just the squad (his role there is called out separately) you note, “team”.

In a separate section, Ashworth is quoted as saying that he and Potter “...don’t always agree...”.

If they don’t agree on the first 11 for a particular game, who has the final say? Someone has to.

Ashworth is also quoted as saying that there’s not much difference between the finances of the clubs at the top of the Championship (citing Leeds, WBA, Forest, and Derby) and the Albion. [MENTION=31]El Presidente[/MENTION] - any comment on that?

Last edited:

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
I read that article as Ashworth having a major say on squad development, recruitment, the long term and not so much who will be in the starting XI.
Good article though.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I read that article as Ashworth having a major say on squad development, recruitment, the long term and not so much who will be in the starting XI.
Good article though.

Here’s the full quote; I’ve emboldened the bit I quoted in the thread title.

“Player recruitment and loans are two of the six areas that fall into Ashworth’s remit at Brighton. He also has a major say in their men’s and women’s first teams, the academy and the medical and sports science department”.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Must admit that lately I have imagined Ashworth insisting certain younger players are included in the team rather than the the right players. Obviously these are only my opinions, but there have been games I have wondered why Murray hasn't started, why midfielder Alzate has played RB rather than Montoya, obviously why Webster than Duffy, why not Ali J at home where he clearly loves it, why Bissouma over Stephens (maybe contentious for some) etc according to personal conspiracy theories. With the massive income we have received from the Premier League TV deals I fail to see how the finances of Leeds, Forest etc. could even vaguely resemble those of the Albion.

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
In a really good piece by Naylor, the thread title was the main thing I saw. Not just the squad (his role there is called out separately) you note, “team”.

In a separate section, Ashworth is quoted as saying that he and Potter “...don’t always agree...”.

If they don’t agree on the first 11 for a particular game, who has the final say? Someone has to.

Ashworth is also quoted as saying that there’s not much difference between the finances of the clubs at the top of the Championship (citing Leeds, WBA, Forest, and Derby) and the Albion. [MENTION=31]El Presidente[/MENTION] - any comment on that?

Worrying, authority without responsibility.
Points gathering has not improved or even has gone south since his arrival

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Must admit that lately I have imagined Ashworth insisting certain younger players are included in the team rather than the the right players. Obviously these are only my opinions

I think Ashworth has an influence in the 1st team squad list issued to the FA, twice a year. Poor use of the word ‘team’ by Naylor when he clearly meant ‘squad’.

The idea that Ashworth has a say in the starting 11 is frankly ludicrous, no Manager would accept that.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
I think Ashworth has an influence in the 1st team squad list issued to the FA, twice a year. Poor use of the word ‘team’ by Naylor when he clearly meant ‘squad’.

The idea that Ashworth has a say in the starting 11 is frankly ludicrous, no Manager would accept that.

Bang on

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

Possibly generates more discussion if the phase was open to interpretation :whistle:

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
I'm not surprised as well as a big pay rise it was going to take something special for him to be lured away from the job he was doing with England.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach

This. Cannot think for one minute GPott would accept a meno from DA to say "you must include xxxx and xxxx in your team today".

GPott has proven at Swansea that he 'thinkers' with the team each game and in fact mid games too with his subs.

Sure DA has a major say, for example he flew to Argentina to get Max Alistair out of his loan with Boca. He's now in the squad.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton

Spot on. I didn’t read that as picking the 11 at all, just an influence as to who makes up the squad which you fully expect and hope for.

Ashworth is a very good thing for us. In modern football you have to have a director of football and he’s one of the best. If you want to have a look at the difference a director of football makes to a club compare Man United to Liverpool and Man City.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Here’s the full quote; I’ve emboldened the bit I quoted in the thread title.

“Player recruitment and loans are two of the six areas that fall into Ashworth’s remit at Brighton. He also has a major say in their men’s and women’s first teams, the academy and the medical and sports science department”.

I doubt that means an actual say in the 18 for a particular match.

More likely it is guidelines for who we should be looking to select more over time.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Doubt if he does. No manager should/would tolerate that.

Obviously has a say in signings and recruitment (that’s gone well!!).

Expecting to see some difference in the future, because yet to see anything since he arrived.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Spot on. I didn’t read that as picking the 11 at all, just an influence as to who makes up the squad which you fully expect and hope for.

Ashworth is a very good thing for us. In modern football you have to have a director of football and he’s one of the best. If you want to have a look at the difference a director of football makes to a club compare Man United to Liverpool and Man City.

Totally agree. Ashworth is here to help Graham, not interfere or meddle.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts

I’d agree. But Potter isn’t the Manager, he’s the “Head Coach”.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here