Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Arsenal U-18s v Albion, FA Youth Cup 5th Rd, Boreham Wood, tonight 7pm

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Albion U-18s attempt to replicate their best-ever performance in the prestigious FA Youth Cup tonight when they travel to face the Gunners at Meadow Park, Boreham Wood FC. A win will put them into the sixth round and match their performance in 2005-06 when victories over Port Vale, Chelsea and Blackburn Rovers saw them face Newcastle United (who included Tim Krul and Kazenga LuaLua in their ranks).

Albion overcame Leicester City 3-2 at Crawley in December and then had an excellent win at Derby County last month in the 4th round. Should Albion prevail this evening they would face a trip to either Blackburn Rovers or Preston North End (who don't play their tie until Tuesday February 18th).

Albion finished last season with 5 straight victories and commenced this campaign in similar vein. Albion were unbeaten in their first 12 matches this season, but their form has dropped off in recent weeks; they have suffered four defeats and just one draw in their last 5 league matches. They also lost to Manchester City in the U-18 Premier League Cup during that sequence. However, Arsenal have had a disappointing campaign and sit 10th (out of 12) in the U-18 Premier League South standings (Albion are still 4th).

Details of some of the youngsters who will be playing this evening can be found here - Albion 1st-year scholars for 2019-20

Lorent Tolaj (10) and Stefan Vukoje (12) have scored 22 goals between them so far this season. Jack Spong has contributed 7 goals from midfield and winger Jack Leahy has scored 5.

Albion's strongest line-up would undoubtedly include Haydon Roberts, Teddy Jenks and Jack Spong, but as all three played the full 90 minutes for the U-23s against Tottenham on Monday we will have to wait and see whether they feature this evening.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Excellent write up, [MENTION=1276]AZ Gull[/MENTION]. Yours always are and I don't want a lack of replies to be off putting for your motivation.

I'm not able to make the game but I'll look for this thread with interest tomorrow morning to see how the boys got on.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Albion U-18s attempt to replicate their best-ever performance in the prestigious FA Youth Cup tonight when they travel to face the Gunners at Meadow Park, Boreham Wood FC. A win will put them into the sixth round and match their performance in 2005-06 when victories over Port Vale, Chelsea and Blackburn Rovers saw them face Newcastle United (who included Tim Krul and Kazenga LuaLua in their ranks).

Albion overcame Leicester City 3-2 at Crawley in December and then had an excellent win at Derby County last month in the 4th round. Should Albion prevail this evening they would face a trip to either Blackburn Rovers or Preston North End (who don't play their tie until Tuesday February 18th).

Albion finished last season with 5 straight victories and commenced this campaign in similar vein. Albion were unbeaten in their first 12 matches this season, but their form has dropped off in recent weeks; they have suffered four defeats and just one draw in their last 5 league matches. They also lost to Manchester City in the U-18 Premier League Cup during that sequence. However, Arsenal have had a disappointing campaign and sit 10th (out of 12) in the U-18 Premier League South standings (Albion are still 4th).

Details of some of the youngsters who will be playing this evening can be found here - Albion 1st-year scholars for 2019-20

Lorent Tolaj (10) and Stefan Vukoje (12) have scored 22 goals between them so far this season. Jack Spong has contributed 7 goals from midfield and winger Jack Leahy has scored 5.

Albion's strongest line-up would undoubtedly include Haydon Roberts, Teddy Jenks and Jack Spong, but as all three played the full 90 minutes for the U-23s against Tottenham on Monday we will have to wait and see whether they feature this evening.

AZ

Have Roberts, Jenks or Spong played much for the u18s recently?

The impression I get that the way the club works at the moment is that once you step up a level you wouldn't usually step back, even if it means risking losing an important game.

Thanks

AZ Gull

Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
AZ

Have Roberts, Jenks or Spong played much for the u18s recently?

The impression I get that the way the club works at the moment is that once you step up a level you wouldn't usually step back, even if it means risking losing an important game.

Thanks

Roberts has been a member of the U-23 group (rather than the U-18s) since December 2018 (and that is straight from his dad, who I have had some very occasional contact with via twitter). However, the FA Youth Cup is different (I deliberately used the adjective "prestigious" in my opening post). Teams will almost always play their strongest XI's, which will include those players who are still age-eligible even if they have graduated to a higher age group.

As it happens, since I made the opening post, Roberts has put a video on social media showing himself travelling on a coach, so I assume he will start tonight.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
However, the FA Youth Cup is different (I deliberately used the adjective "prestigious" in my opening post). Teams will almost always play their strongest XI's, which will include those players who are still age-eligible even if they have graduated to a higher age group.

Yes - this /\

Molumby, for example, played FAYC matches, at a time when he was on the fringes of our first team squad.

thanks for drawing attention to this game AZ. I shall keep an eye on proceedings via twitter and that.

AZ Gull

Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Albion's U-18 coach, Mark Beard, knows all about the FA Youth Cup, captaining the Millwall side to glory by beating Sheffield Wednesday 3-0 in the 1991 final. Here is an interview with him from the summer:-

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
All the talk, earlier in the week, about Roberts filling the non void at centre back caused me to then raise an eyebrow at his inclusion into this thread.

I think some might be a bit premature drafting 17 year old Hayden Roberts into the first XI.

AZ Gull

Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
All the talk, earlier in the week, about Roberts filling the non void at centre back caused me to then raise an eyebrow at his inclusion into this thread.

I think some might be a bit premature drafting 17 year old Hayden Roberts into the first XI.

HAYDON Roberts has already made his debut for the first XI. :shrug:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Nobody was picking him 'in their first XI'. Just stating that he's currently about fifth in line, if needed. Nobody is clamouring for him to start*

*although I actually was, for the Sheffield Wednesday game. Wanted him and Jenks, in an otherwise 'senior' side. Huge talents.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
HAYDON Roberts has already made his debut for the first XI. :shrug:

That was Michael Mouse Cup, designed with the likes of him in mind.

Haydin was being talked about as one injury away from battling in a relegation 6 pointer.

I went along with it thinking he was 19, 20 or 21.
Obviously he's an Albion centre back, chances are he was ready some 3 years ago, it just caught me on the hop that's all.

AZ Gull

Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Pretty much the strongest starting line-up Albion could field; all of Roberts, Jenks and Spong start:-

Arsenal.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here