Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] The body in the pool.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
No saying this is the case with the OP, but there does seem to have been a lot of re-writing of opinions when it comes to Barrymore. He was huge, incredibly popular, and yet since the awful night that played out at his house, and the tragic death/murder of Stuart Lubbock(?) almost everyone seems to suddenly say "I never did find him funny." A bit like the reverse of the people who say they were at an event like the WC Final in 1966, if everyone is to be believed the capacity must have been 500,000. With Barrymore, if everyone is to be believed, he could never have been as popular as he was.

While I accept it's now very hard to disconnect the man with the incident, and that leaves you cold rather than in a mood to laugh, so looking back at his old work rarely raises a laugh, I can honestly say I did find him funny, warm and engaging back in the day. It was what it was, simple, unsophisticated humour, but he played the front man of a game show very well.

Just my opinion of course, but I certainly did find him quite funny back in the day. What has come out since is the tale of a man on a course of self-destruction.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Listened to the guy who made the film on R2 earlier.

It doesn't sound good for whoever clearly murdered this lad, the people who covered it up or the total incompetence of the police because they were dealing with someone famous.

He did say that the later investigations and particularly the guy in charge now are really trying to get justice for his father who is on his last legs, but still a bright spark.

Hope he sees some justice before he dies, but I doubt it.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Can’t say I ever really saw much about him until that bloke was found face down in his pool with his arse in tatters. I did catch a bit of him on Big Brother somehow and he seemed like a viscious, bullying, mental, dick.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Listened to the guy who made the film on R2 earlier.

It doesn't sound good for whoever clearly murdered this lad, the people who covered it up or the total incompetence of the police because they were dealing with someone famous.

He did say that the later investigations and particularly the guy in charge now are really trying to get justice for his father who is on his last legs, but still a bright spark.

Hope he sees some justice before he dies, but I doubt it.

Sadly it relies almost entirely on physical evidence, which must be long gone now - would love to be wrong - as it always appeared that Barrymore himself was in such a mess with drink and drugs, that he could very well have no idea what happened that night. If those were the circles he was mixing in, most of the "party" could have been off their head on something or other. Not a copper myself, but I just don't know where you'd even start with something like that.

Horrendous crime, and unimaginable for the lads family, but I fear answers will not be found.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
No saying this is the case with the OP, but there does seem to have been a lot of re-writing of opinions when it comes to Barrymore. He was huge, incredibly popular, and yet since the awful night that played out at his house, and the tragic death/murder of Stuart Lubbock(?) almost everyone seems to suddenly say "I never did find him funny." A bit like the reverse of the people who say they were at an event like the WC Final in 1966, if everyone is to be believed the capacity must have been 500,000. With Barrymore, if everyone is to be believed, he could never have been as popular as he was.

While I accept it's now very hard to disconnect the man with the incident, and that leaves you cold rather than in a mood to laugh, so looking back at his old work rarely raises a laugh, I can honestly say I did find him funny, warm and engaging back in the day. It was what it was, simple, unsophisticated humour, but he played the front man of a game show very well.

Just my opinion of course, but I certainly did find him quite funny back in the day. What has come out since is the tale of a man on a course of self-destruction.

All prejudices aside. I always thought he was a bit shit. Way better game show hosts. Dawson, Dennis, Bowen, Wogan, Walker, Grayson etc etc

Clearly millions of people didn't. But then, millions of people like Mrs Brown's Boys.

Like that and other shows, I never got it.

"Awight!" That seemed to be his only gag.

So no whitewashing as far as I'm concerned but I definitely get what you're saying.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Sadly it relies almost entirely on physical evidence, which must be long gone now - would love to be wrong - as it always appeared that Barrymore himself was in such a mess with drink and drugs, that he could very well have no idea what happened that night. If those were the circles he was mixing in, most of the "party" could have been off their head on something or other. Not a copper myself, but I just don't know where you'd even start with something like that.

Horrendous crime, and unimaginable for the lads family, but I fear answers will not be found.

Most likely mate.

8 people there, half of them young birds. Someone knows what happened but there's no evidence.

Idiot Jeremy Vine suggested earlier arresting all 8 people tomorrow and telling them that the other one said they did it to force a confession.

I know he plays devil's advocate but still.....

When he'd just had the film maker on saying how MB won a notional civil case victory v the police over a technicality. ****.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Can’t say I ever really saw much about him until that bloke was found face down in his pool with his arse in tatters. I did catch a bit of him on Big Brother somehow and he seemed like a viscious, bullying, mental, dick.

I always found him to be a wannabee John Cleese :shrug:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
All prejudices aside. I always thought he was a bit shit. Way better game show hosts. Dawson, Dennis, Bowen, Wogan, Walker, Grayson etc etc

Clearly millions of people didn't. But then, millions of people like Mrs Brown's Boys.

Like that and other shows, I never got it.

"Awight!" That seemed to be his only gag.

So no whitewashing as far as I'm concerned but I definitely get what you're saying.

Whilst I agree he was shit, to be fair he did have two gags....he also used to stand on his head.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek

Will come back and fair points,he was like the Late Jeremy Beadle poked fun at people unable to answer back or even had the option,although J/B worked hard for his choosen charities. Never liked the pair of them,give me the Late GREAT Dave Allen every time.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach

Haven't seen BB ever but I have the same opinion based on observations in interviews etc...

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Interesting that the OP has no positive or negative feelings about Oswald Mosley but don't get him started on Barrymore.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent

I haven't seen the programme, have the rectal thermometer readings claimed to have been taken by a nurse at the time, now been disproven?

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
FB_IMG_1580935533886.jpg

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
Most likely mate.

8 people there, half of them young birds. Someone knows what happened but there's no evidence.

Idiot Jeremy Vine suggested earlier arresting all 8 people tomorrow and telling them that the other one said they did it to force a confession.

I know he plays devil's advocate but still.....

When he'd just had the film maker on saying how MB won a notional civil case victory v the police over a technicality. ****.
If the police decide to follow Jeremy Vine’s advice of arresting all 8, let’s hope none of them heard his program.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here