Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Two standout Potter moments.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
1) 64 minutes. Watford away, opening day.
Murray and Locadia started and to be honest, were doing pretty well. We were a goal up, nearly halfway through the second half. Suddenly we saw two subs about to come on, Maupay and Andone. Gasps of amazement from BHA fans. Straight swap. Two big front men off for two small, quicker strikers Not used to this. Usually try and see out the win. Result ....1-0 turns into 3-0 and we all go home buzzing. We know already we are under a different style of management.
( ....24 games later, when to be honest, a lot of the feelgood factor was dissipating......)

2) 72 minutes. West Ham away.
Losing 1-3. Not looking good. Moyes had clearly decided to take off Antonio ( their undoubted match winner up to that point ) Masuaka was getting prepared, a left back/wing back, who loves coming forward but has defensive issues. That very move indicated that Moyes was going more defensive. It appeared to the majority of BHA fans that we needed to bring on at least another striker. March coming on was met with some surprise and also a level of approval but the sight of Schelotto coming on was met with a mixture of disbelief, bewilderment and anger and comments such as..." the manager has lost it....he's not up to this level....what the hell is he doing "
Result....1-3 turns into 3-3. The whole momentum swings and the two subs run West Ham ragged, to the extent where they are the team hanging on and we could even have won the game. Not even a need for a third sub from us.

Why are these standout moments? Because they define Graham Potter. He was pro-active at Watford, when he wanted to make sure he won the game. He was pro-active at West Ham when he saw an opportunity to get back in the game. No hesitation. They have given us an opportunity to attack them and we are going to do that. Football can swing in a short space of time and you have to grab those moments.
Sure he has made mistakes. Everyone does. He is still learning at this level and will, given time, re-shape the squad that he wants. He is making quite a lot of changes throughout the season but I believe that he is going through a phase of ' fine-tuning ' until he sees the ideal balance. I travelled home on Saturday, thinking about those fairly surprising substitutions at the time and realised that he was spot on. It was tactically very clever. Whatever happens over the rest of the season, I now have no doubt that we are in very capable hands and better is to come.

A1X

NSC Patreon
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I liked that bit when he fought Lord Voldemort in the graveyard

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
1) 64 minutes. Watford away, opening day.
Murray and Locadia started and to be honest, were doing pretty well. We were a goal up, nearly halfway through the second half. Suddenly we saw two subs about to come on, Maupay and Andone. Gasps of amazement from BHA fans. Straight swap. Two big front men off for two small, quicker strikers Not used to this. Usually try and see out the win. Result ....1-0 turns into 3-0 and we all go home buzzing. We know already we are under a different style of management.
( ....24 games later, when to be honest, a lot of the feelgood factor was dissipating......)

2) 72 minutes. West Ham away.
Losing 1-3. Not looking good. Moyes had clearly decided to take off Antonio ( their undoubted match winner up to that point ) Masuaka was getting prepared, a left back/wing back, who loves coming forward but has defensive issues. That very move indicated that Moyes was going more defensive. It appeared to the majority of BHA fans that we needed to bring on at least another striker. March coming on was met with some surprise and also a level of approval but the sight of Schelotto coming on was met with a mixture of disbelief, bewilderment and anger and comments such as..." the manager has lost it....he's not up to this level....what the hell is he doing "
Result....1-3 turns into 3-3. The whole momentum swings and the two subs run West Ham ragged, to the extent where they are the team hanging on and we could even have won the game. Not even a need for a third sub from us.

Why are these standout moments? Because they define Graham Potter. He was pro-active at Watford, when he wanted to make sure he won the game. He was pro-active at West Ham when he saw an opportunity to get back in the game. No hesitation. They have given us an opportunity to attack them and we are going to do that. Football can swing in a short space of time and you have to grab those moments.
Sure he has made mistakes. Everyone does. He is still learning at this level and will, given time, re-shape the squad that he wants. He is making quite a lot of changes throughout the season but I believe that he is going through a phase of ' fine-tuning ' until he sees the ideal balance. I travelled home on Saturday, thinking about those fairly surprising substitutions at the time and realised that he was spot on. It was tactically very clever. Whatever happens over the rest of the season, I now have no doubt that we are in very capable hands and better is to come.

Hopefully others will see this light at the end of the tunnel....

Players included:)

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Watford away.
The pass by Dunk and finish by Maupay....

Spurs home.
Demolition. Nothing to do with Spurs performance, we were brilliant.......

Potter gave Dunk license to come forward.
The way we set up vs Spurs.

West Ham we actually should have won, the fact we came away with a point after twice fighting back is both great and frustrating IMO. Agree with the OP though around Potter and tactically astute.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I (along with many others in the stand) had a grumpy grizzle at him bringing on Solly and Schellotto at 3-1 down, when we still had Maupay sat on the bench. But they doubled-up to brilliant effect against the LB. It helped when Moyes binned off Antonio, but this switch changed the whole momentum and changed the game. From that moment, we were getting in behind them time and time again creating havoc, they were in utter panic.

Great spot from Potter. Shows why he's managing the 15th best team in England, whilst I just bitch and grumble on the sidelines.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Villa away is one of mine, up until Mooy got sent off, I don't think I have even seen us play that good before

Newcastle away as well - we were absolutely sublime in the first half - some of the best football in years.

Albion_Dave

Jul 4, 2011
Eastbourne
Home to Everton.

2-2 in the 93rd minute & the ball goes in to Ryans arms. Instead of flopping to the floor to try & secure a draw he starts off
a wonderful move which ends in a 94th minute own goal & 3 points.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Newcastle away as well - we were absolutely sublime in the first half - some of the best football in years.

Similarly, we were like that in the first half at Bournemouth as well.

The common feature of all these games is the need to the ball in the net more

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Home to Everton.

2-2 in the 93rd minute & the ball goes in to Ryans arms. Instead of flopping to the floor to try & secure a draw he starts off
a wonderful move which ends in a 94th minute own goal & 3 points.

And that was attributable to Potter in the sense that it was a positive culture in the club which meant that the players were even thinking about trying to in the game

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Or the contrary opinion.

I've only had one WTF moment from Potter.

That was the team selection v Villa.

Having nobody anywhere near the right wing makes/made absolutely no sense and to me smacked of being 'too cool for skool'.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Watford away was a hot day and both Murray and Locadia were out of gas after 72 minutes, which must have been a factor. But I agree that keeping three up top was a bold move.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Obtaining extended contract after a third of season. He must think get a 10yr one if in top 10

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Chelsea at home. He changed the system three times to nullify their fullbacks (especially Reece James) and we went from being dominated to dominating them and nearly nicking it. Totally out thought Lampard

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
As well as the stand out moments, who hasn't enjoyed:

On the way to the ground - Guess the match day line up
An hour before kick off - After finding out your line up is no where close to Potter's, guess the formation
At anytime during the game - A change of formation (with or without subs)
Guess the time of the first tactical substitute - This was usually a given under CH (73rd minute)
Double subs
Propper or Stephens going to RB mid game.

All this, plus entertaining football.

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
Starting Connolly against Spurs along with Alzate. Two kids thrown in against a top six team was a huge moment for me in terms of his philosophy.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here