Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] What The Hell Is A Gammon?

el punal

No, not the one that is a beautiful accompaniment to turkey at Christmas or delicious in a sandwich. I’m referring to the description used in many posts on here describing, presumably derogatory, an individual. Enlighten me please, dear people. Cheers! :drink:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
No, not the one that is a beautiful accompaniment to turkey at Christmas or delicious in a sandwich. I’m referring to the description used in many posts on here describing, presumably derogatory, an individual. Enlighten me please, dear people. Cheers! :drink:

It's a quote from Nicholas Nickleby

The time had been, when this burst of enthusiasm would have been cheered to the very echo; but now, the deputation received it with chilling coldness. The general impression seemed to be, that as an explanation of Mr. Gregsbury’s political conduct, it did not enter quite enough into detail; and one gentleman in the rear did not scruple to remark aloud, that, for his purpose, it savoured rather too much of a 'gammon' tendency.

The meaning of that term—gammon,' said Mr. Gregsbury, 'is unknown to me. If it means that I grow a little too fervid, or perhaps even hyperbolical, in extolling my native land, I admit the full justice of the remark. I am proud of this free and happy country. My form dilates, my eye glistens, my breast heaves, my heart swells, my bosom burns, when I call to mind her greatness and her glory.

Who knew NSC were so well read ???

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Hate speech. Same as Boomer and Snowflake. All used as pejorative terms of abuse towards people who don't share the same points of view as the abuser.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Gammon is a pejorative term popularised in British political culture since around 2012, which received press coverage in 2018. In 2018, it became particularly known as a term to describe middle-aged or older men on the political right or who supported Brexit, who are usually, but not exclusively, white The term refers to someone excitedly and wildly expressing a point with minimal detail and much bluster, while exposing their ignorance on the subject under discussion; in particular, the colour of such a person's flushed face is compared to the type of pork of the same name.

Gammon.jpg

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

Someone who gets red faced with anger when talking about, immigration, the EU, Jeremy Corbyn, Foreign aid etc. and does so frequently

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
It is a phrase that leave voters like to pretend offends them so that they for once can try and claim other people are racist to deflect from the fact they themselves are bigoted wallys.

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
Someone who gets red faced with anger when talking about, immigration, the EU, Jeremy Corbyn, Foreign aid etc. and does so frequently

Greta Thunberg and Princess Meghan are also two absolute gammon magnets

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
It's the sort of person that rather than use google, asks the question on a footabll message board, the sort of person who calls anyone to the left of Ghengis Khan a snowflake but gets outraged by the most mundabe shit imaginable, the sort of person who unironically claims to have gone to "the university of life", the sort of person who's "not racist, but", the sort of person who used to call things pc gone mad but has just discovered the word woke, the sort of person who won't have a word said against Empire, the sort of person who thinks prison is too soft, sentences are too short, the sort of person that thinks all spped limits are wrong and you should be able to park anywhere, In summary a ****.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
the sort of person who calls anyone to the left of Ghengis Khan a snowflake but gets outraged by the most mundabe shit imaginable, the sort of person who unironically claims to have gone to "the university of life", the sort of person who's "not racist, but", the sort of person who used to call things pc gone mad but has just discovered the word woke, the sort of person who won't have a word said against Empire, the sort of person who thinks prison is too soft, sentences are too short, the sort of person that thinks all spped limits are wrong and you should be able to park anywhere, In summary a ****.

ha.

yes, that covers most of it.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
It's a quote from Nicholas Nickleby

The time had been, when this burst of enthusiasm would have been cheered to the very echo; but now, the deputation received it with chilling coldness. The general impression seemed to be, that as an explanation of Mr. Gregsbury’s political conduct, it did not enter quite enough into detail; and one gentleman in the rear did not scruple to remark aloud, that, for his purpose, it savoured rather too much of a 'gammon' tendency.

The meaning of that term—gammon,' said Mr. Gregsbury, 'is unknown to me. If it means that I grow a little too fervid, or perhaps even hyperbolical, in extolling my native land, I admit the full justice of the remark. I am proud of this free and happy country. My form dilates, my eye glistens, my breast heaves, my heart swells, my bosom burns, when I call to mind her greatness and her glory.

Who knew NSC were so well read ???

"Dickens actually intended the phrase 'gammon tendency' to mean 'bogus' or 'disingenuous', but Mr Gregsbury otherwise perfectly matches the description of his entitled modern counterpart."

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/gammon-left-wing-political-insult-twitter-racism-debate-right-charles-dickens-a8352281.html

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here