The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
From my distant memory of my Freshers’ Fair I would have been surprised to see a military presence. Sussex Uni has a lot to offer to keep your mind away from gun clubs.

https://www.sussexstudent.com/whats-on/freshers-fair-4-2679/

Wonder if Kemp’s slogan was “Springtime for Boris”.

The Cambridge University Officer Training Corps have for a very long time recruited at the Freshers Fair.

https://www.army.mod.uk/who-we-are/...rsity-officers-training-corps/cambridge-uotc/

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
Just a shame it's not true

https://www.varsity.co.uk/news/18644

Initially consisting of three clauses, the motion prohibiting firearms at CUSU events passed by 75% to 25% after an amendment proposed by a student from Fitzwilliam JCR struck two clauses from the original.

After debating the firearms motion for nearly an hour, an amendment was made which removed two clauses. The first called to prevent military organisations from attending CUSU events, including the Freshers’ Fair, and being advertised on CUSU’s social media channels. The other removed a clause which sought to prevent military organisations from attending CUSU Freshers’ Fair by using a society to front their attendance.

But if you only have the attention span of a Telegraph headline :whistle:

(Although I'm surprised at you [MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION], I'll put it down to the time of the post :wink:)

Hugo Rune

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton

Initially consisting of three clauses, the motion prohibiting firearms at CUSU events passed by 75% to 25% after an amendment proposed by a student from Fitzwilliam JCR struck two clauses from the original.

After debating the firearms motion for nearly an hour, an amendment was made which removed two clauses. The first called to prevent military organisations from attending CUSU events, including the Freshers’ Fair, and being advertised on CUSU’s social media channels. The other removed a clause which sought to prevent military organisations from attending CUSU Freshers’ Fair by using a society to front their attendance.

(Although I'm surprised at you [MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION], I'll put it down to the time of the post :wink:)

Why ruin a perfectly good thread with needless facts? I was enjoying the gammon-rage!

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Mid afternoon......semi-stupor on the beach so no fact-check [emoji23][emoji23]

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

whats not true? the headline was the student union claiming military personnel could affect students mentally, with quotes from student union rep.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Are the Russians still allowed to attend?

One for the kidz.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Let's all hate the military ..... as many do the police also, but be the first to call for in a crisis, I'm done with the current attitude that's consuming our nation, man up .... yes, I said it "man up", wow, what a crime!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Let's all hate the military ..... as many do the police also, but be the first to call for in a crisis, I'm done with the current attitude that's consuming our nation, man up .... yes, I said it "man up", wow, what a crime!

Calm down dear.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Oh of course, this is the first generation to have a bit of a stand against the military, oh how the protestors of generations passed must be impressed with the direct action being taken in the current attitude...banning a desk at Freshers Week. That should show them!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I guess Westmister Uni was too low brow for Offficer material. We did very well for Islamic State.

:lolol: A mate of mine taught Jihadi John (south bank poly, or university of the thames, or whatever it is now called). Said he wasn't very good (fancy that!). I'm sorry but I find it hard to accept places like that (including Westminster - sorry) as actual universities. Reading some of the coursework I'm currently about to resume marking, I struggle to fathom how even my illustrious citadel of learning and achievement can call itself a university. But I digress.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
Oh of course, this is the first generation to have a bit of a stand against the military, oh how the protestors of generations passed must be impressed with the direct action being taken in the current attitude...banning a desk at Freshers Week. That should show them!

Although I agree with the meaning of your post, it wasn't a desk or any group of people they banned from Freshers week, it was Firearms. Although if the Telegraph had actually said that there would be no story for people to get upset about :shrug:

(Triggaaar would be proud of that pedantry) :wink:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here