Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] US - Chlorine washed chicken vs chlorine washed salad

larus

As so many on here take issue with the potential for lower food standards if we have a trade deal with the US, I’d be interested if the same concerns which are voiced in regards to chlorine washed chicken also apply to the current use of chlorine to wash salad before it’s packed.

Personally, as long as the chicken is clearly marked, then surely it should be personal choice. Unless, of course, people just want to use it as a way yo attack any form of deal which isn’t with the EU.

larus

I’d question if the food standards of many parts of Europe are in fact, that much better than the US. As I said, if it’s clearly marked as US/Chlorine washed then people can make an informed choice.

Also, bearing in mind the level of junk which people are willing to put in their bodies (drugs, nicotine, alcohol, man made fats/sugars, etc.), I find the faux outrage over this very odd. It smacks of the fat gits going into MacDonalds for a large meal and getting a diet soda (which is worse than normal soda anyway).

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Years of complaining about bananas now moving onto fighting Mr Trump’s trade wars. Well done.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I’d question if the food standards of many parts of Europe are in fact, that much better than the US. As I said, if it’s clearly marked as US/Chlorine washed then people can make an informed choice.

But the problem is, it will be cheap because it is poor origin / quality. This then puts pressure on UK food producers to slash costs to compete. They won't be able to compete due to lack of volume and disappear out of the market.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I suppose the issue is that if the market is flooded by cheap, shit, US chicken then it'll be more difficult for people selling decent chicken to make a living? Because lots of people will just buy whatever is cheapest.

I'll carry on buying all my meat from the local butcher. Might be a little bit more expensive but it's all local stuff, isn't pumped full of water or chemicals and when you cook it, it doesn't shrink to half the size. Oh and it's really nice.

I reckon the chlorinated chicken thing is just an example of the kind of utter shite that may be allowed to be sold here under whatever wanky trade deal Trump allows us to have. Rather than a big deal in itself.

However, as you say, some people will eat complete shit anyway, but maybe if they can get five massive, chlorine washed, GM fed chicken breasts from an American mutant chicken (a ten breasted one) for £5 then more people might stop using the butchers. And it would close.

Then I'd be rather angry.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
But the problem is, it will be cheap because it is poor origin / quality. This then puts pressure on UK food producers to slash costs to compete. They won't be able to compete due to lack of volume and disappear out of the market.

A more succinct version of what I was trying to say.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
As so many on here take issue with the potential for lower food standards if we have a trade deal with the US, I’d be interested if the same concerns which are voiced in regards to chlorine washed chicken also apply to the current use of chlorine to wash salad before it’s packed.

Personally, as long as the chicken is clearly marked, then surely it should be personal choice. Unless, of course, people just want to use it as a way yo attack any form of deal which isn’t with the EU.

You have to ask why the use of chlorine anyway and Mustafa has answered that. Food hygiene in the US is appalling and that is what you are accepting if you accept chlorinated chicken.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
It's not just the chlorine washing, the use of antibiotics and other chemicals in their food production is wide spread, even epidemic given rules have been passed to start to curb antibiotics use except for medical reasons. They also administer these right up to slaughter, so often these are all getting into the human food chain.

GM crops, chlorine washing, antibiotics. So much to look forward to. Yum.

Last edited:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

Also, bearing in mind the level of junk which people are willing to put in their bodies (drugs, nicotine, alcohol, man made fats/sugars, etc.), I find the faux outrage over this very odd. It smacks of the fat gits going into MacDonalds for a large meal and getting a diet soda (which is worse than normal soda anyway).

As probably already discussed - the Chlorine is used to mask unhygienic practices and it's questionable whether it has an effect - which is why it is banned.

It's not that great at killing salmonella and E coli for instance. Manufacturers in the EU are actually moving away from chlorine washes for salad, which as it stands is only a third of the concentration allowed on American chicken.

Many studies show the rate of food poisoning from chicken in US is higher than the EU, and for making a Rees Mogg like fake comparison with other food stuffs, I suggest on day one you eat a spoon of margarine and next day a spoon of salmonella.

Check back on here to tell us how you feel after.

Last edited:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Also, bearing in mind the level of junk which people are willing to put in their bodies (drugs, nicotine, alcohol, man made fats/sugars, etc.), I find the faux outrage over this very odd.

I think you have hit the nail on the head.

As a state you have the health of society to consider and the burden of care for them. Given the poor choices society already makes, is it wise to put more poor choice on the table? Isn't taxation on nicotine, alcohol, and now sugars all supposed to be supporting better habits, not importing new poorer products to supplement bad habits.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
You have to ask why the use of chlorine anyway and Mustafa has answered that. Food hygiene in the US is appalling and that is what you are accepting if you accept chlorinated chicken.

yet due to poor hygine in the salad supply chain we accept chlorination there. lets be honests, its a lot more to do with simple protectionism.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I’d question if the food standards of many parts of Europe are in fact, that much better than the US.

In the US, producers adhere to a “Defects Levels Handbook,” which sets out the maximum number of foreign bodies like maggots, insect fragments and mould that can be in food products before they are put on the market.

For example, US producers are allowed to include up to 30 insect fragments in a 100g jar of peanut butter; as well as 11 rodent hairs in a 25g container of paprika; or 3mg of mammalian excreta (typically rat or mouse excrement) per each pound of ginger.

In the EU there are no allowable limits for foreign bodies in food products.

So clearly the EU is not much better than the US as you say.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Ouch did not know it would stoke such a chord:)

Is another nobber I have on ignore being treasonous now? Go **** off and live in America, if they'll have you, might have been my reply. :shrug:

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
It's not just the chlorine washing, the use of antibiotics and other chemicals in their food production is wide spread, even epidemic given rules have been passed to start to curb antibiotics use accept for medical reasons. They also administer these right up to slaughter, so often these are all getting into the human food chain.

GM crops, chlorine washing, antibiotics. So much to look forward to. Yum.

Agree totally with the comments so far as regards animal welfare and the use of antibiotics.

I have no problem however with GM foods - crops have been genetically modified for centuries via cross-breeding and hybridisation. Very few of the commercial crops, (if any), occurred naturally.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Why is thread badged with a knife and fork symbol? It is politics. FFS.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I’d question if the food standards of many parts of Europe are in fact, that much better than the US.

I would be interested to see the facts that led you to this conclusion ?

When you decided to stop embarrassing yourself on the Brexit thread, I didn't realise that meant you were going to create whole new threads for the purpose :shootself

It's probably best if this was merged with the Brexit thread to go along with your other equally well informed contributions on that particular subject.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here