Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Albion among leading lenders in the loan market

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
4th highest. That's a promising sign

There was a late flurry of Albion activity after the transfer window shut on deadline day as Leon Balogun and Jan Mlakar had their loan moves to Wigan confirmed.

It took Seagulls’ tally of loan players to 21 at various clubs across the United Kingdom, Europe and beyond.

The only Premier League clubs who have more are Wolves (23), Manchester City (30) and Chelsea (27).

Here is where the 21 players currently are:

https://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/18208830.amp/

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
Not great going forward as they are changing the rules on the number of players a club can load out. The idea is to stop the big clubs buying all the youth players and then loaning them out to see if they are any good.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Not great going forward as they are changing the rules on the number of players a club can load out. The idea is to stop the big clubs buying all the youth players and then loaning them out to see if they are any good.

Quote from the (blue shifted spits on the floor) Daily Mail

"Chelsea may be forced to ditch their controversial business model of stockpiling players under a new FIFA proposal that would limit the number of players clubs could send on loan. The new rule would limit clubs to loaning out a maximum of eight players aged 21 or above".

So 20 y/o or younger is fine, I can't find that there's any limit on the number we can loan out
21 years or older, we'd be restricted to 8 players loaned out.

I can't be bothered to research how many of the 21 players in that Argus article are 20 or under, but I guess it's about half of them. We're currently breaching the rules as they would be next season. We'll certainly have to stop doing this loan to sell thing. If we don't want them, we'll have to get them off our books straight away.

I'm sure we have loads in the current u23 team, eg Gwargis, Roberts, Richards, who we'd be looking to get a loan for as well, whether they are under 21 or not, is set to become a determining factor whether we keep them in the u23s or loan them out

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010

"Chelsea may be forced to ditch their controversial business model of stockpiling players under a new FIFA proposal that would limit the number of players clubs could send on loan. The new rule would limit clubs to loaning out a maximum of eight players aged 21 or above".

So 20 y/o or younger is fine, I can't find that there's any limit on the number we can loan out

I can't be bothered to research how many of the 21 players in that Argus article are 20 or under, but I guess it's about half of them. We're currently breaching the rules as they would be next season. We'll certainly have to stop doing this loan to sell thing. If we don't want them, we'll have to get them off our books straight away.

I'm sure we have loads in the current u23 team, eg Gwargis, Roberts, Richards, who we'd be looking to get a loan for as well, whether they are under 21 or not, is set to become a determining factor whether we keep them in the u23s or loan them out

The '21 years or above' goes down each year I think, until it is at 18 or above. The reason they have staggered it, is so clubs can sort their shit out.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard

What there does seem to be an explosion of is 'loans to buy' of senior players. I can only assume that there are tax / accounting / FFP advantages in loaning players rather than purchasing them, both in- and out-, even when the loan is effectively a purchase. The loaning club can still include them as an asset on their books and receiving loan fees instead of purchase fees will avoid sell-on clauses and the like. The club receiving the player won't have their wages on their books directly, and probably get a discount on the player, and, well I'm scrabbling now with no accounting knowledge in my head :lol: but I'm sure there are nice reciprocal arrangements between clubs.

Anyhow, both Murray and Mooy joined on loan and were made permanent in the winter; this season we've loaned out Kayal, Locadia, Andone, Knockaert, none of whom we ever expect to play for us again, Norwood was a permanent loanee for a while too.

Wasn't long ago that all of these would have been permanent transfers from day one. This is what the new rule will get on top of.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
This thread seems to be going in the wrong direction. I'm sure last season we reached about 33 players out on loan and were 2nd behind Chelsea. If we only have 21 players out on loan and are now 4th for loanees, that would appear to be a significant step forward towards the new requirements and prudent management of our player resources rather than something else to beat the club with?

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010

You were right, the age is at 21.

- Premier League loans between clubs remain unchanged.
- International loans limited to 6 in and 6 out. (Although 8 to start with, then down to 7 the following year, then 6.)
- Loans for u21 players who have spent 3 consecutive years at the club between the ages of 15 - 21 face no restrictions. But 3 loans max between clubs.

The above are just FIFA proposals and nothing is set yet, but they are clamping down on the loan market.
-

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
You were right, the age is at 21.

- Premier League loans between clubs remain unchanged.
- International loans limited to 6 in and 6 out. (Although 8 to start with, then down to 7 the following year, then 6.)
- Loans for u21 players who have spent 3 consecutive years at the club between the ages of 15 - 21 face no restrictions. But 3 loans max between clubs.

The above are just FIFA proposals and nothing is set yet, but they are clamping down on the loan market.
-

And it's right that they are. It's not healthy for richer clubs (including us now) to be hoarding players. It's just another way of pulling the ladder up on clubs down the food chain

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
And it's right that they are. It's not healthy for richer clubs (including us now) to be hoarding players. It's just another way of pulling the ladder up on clubs down the food chain

Hoarding players would be keeping them at Lancing and then releasing them when not good enough for our team. Letting them go out on loan is helping lower league teams who often employ the ones who don’t make it with us. The training and experience is doing the youngsters good.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
The loan system is the equivalent to fattening pigs for market.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Hoarding players would be keeping them at Lancing and then releasing them when not good enough for our team. Letting them go out on loan is helping lower league teams who often employ the ones who don’t make it with us. The training and experience is doing the youngsters good.

No.

Remember we've mostly picked up these players from lower league teams. We're letting other lower league teams have use of them very much on our terms, but we've denied the original team the chance to develop the player themselves to the point where they can attract a decent fee for them. If, for example Orient were selling Alzate now, they'd be getting very good money for him.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
No.

Remember we've mostly picked up these players from lower league teams. We're letting other lower league teams have use of them very much on our terms, but we've denied the original team the chance to develop the player themselves to the point where they can attract a decent fee for them. If, for example Orient were selling Alzate now, they'd be getting very good money for him.

Yes, Alzate came from Orient but many of our youngsters have come through the ranks or from abroad.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here