Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Petrol and diesel cars banned from 2035...

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-51366123

Not going to be much fun stuck in a electric car with the batteries running down on a day like this...

article-1339632-0C86CD04000005DC-138_634x310.jpg

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Way over the top IMHO and I say that as an air quality consultant. Diesels are by far and away the biggest problem so I would ban private diesels sooner that this, but not petrol.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
My car will idle for 7 hours on a gallon of petrol. It wouldn't be fun... but a least I could keep warm, and drive away when the road clears.

So you don't think there will be any advances in battery technology in the next 15 years, to enable an electric car to sit in low power mode for a long time?

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Way over the top IMHO and I say that as an air quality consultant. Diesels are by far and away the biggest problem so I would ban private diesels sooner that this, but not petrol.

Such a disgrace that they cut road fund license, gave them lower congestion charges and encouraged people to buy diesels :nono:

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
Up to 15 years of exhaust pollution to come, marvellous. Appreciate there is no quick fix and these things need phasing in slowly for many logistical reasons. Hopefully within 10 years most petrol and diesel cars will be gone.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Up to 15 years of exhaust pollution to come, marvellous. Appreciate there is no quick fix and these things need phasing in slowly for many logistical reasons. Hopefully within 10 years most petrol and diesel cars will be gone.

More than that, I'm afraid. The ban is on selling new petrol and diesel cars.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I'm all for it. The only way we're going to really be able to tackle climate change is with government policies like this. People are very resistant to change, sometimes you just have to force our hands.

It's going to be very challenging though. I assume there's going to be big investment in the charging infrastructure and enough renewable power to keep up with the demand.

I can't help noticing there's an ad for a 3.5L Lexus SUV at the top of the page for me :lolol:

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

Yeah, I was just wondering whether it's been said more for the Green headline without it being fully thought through. It is always swings and roundabouts, From an overall resources perspective I'm not sure a sodding great SUV is necessarily environmentally better than a small petrol hybrid, even if it is all-electric.

Private diesel cars, yeah ban 'em tomorrow - along with all SUVs.

Still, it does concentrate everybody's minds so I'm not totally opposed. If it ends up as Johnson's worst-ever decision we'll be fine!

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
Such a disgrace that they cut road fund license, gave them lower congestion charges and encouraged people to buy diesels :nono:

Very much this - Government has a very poor track record of picking the right technology. We'll all pile into electric cars, only to be told 5 years later that we have ****ed the planet by mining all the lithium.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015

Could you give Donald Trump a quick call and pass your your expertise on the subject on to him if you get a moment

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Personally it SOUNDS like a great idea - but there are SO MANY unanswered questions IMO.

Agreed. And the first question would be how on earth can a charging infrastructure be rolled out in 15 years ? Imagine many of the streets of Brighton and Hove where people have to park a couple of streets away from their house - that's a lot of very long extension cables required.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
I wonder what will they do with all the diesel, petrol and hybrid cars which have been manufactured but not yet sold when the ban kicks in? Maybe ship them to other countries which are left-hand-drive..

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Agreed. And the first question would be how on earth can a charging infrastructure be rolled out in 15 years ? Imagine many of the streets of Brighton and Hove where people have to park a couple of streets away from their house - that's a lot of very long extension cables required.

I am no expert on such technology and maybe someone with more expertise on the subject might be able to explain better.

In the 19990s and 2000s when the Cable Companies dug up all the roads to lay electric cables to roll out Broadband Facilities. Couldn't we tap into all that wiring to help roll out power points for electric vehicles ? Just a question or is it different type of wiring or cabling ?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I am no expert on such technology and maybe someone with more expertise on the subject might be able to explain better.

In the 19990s and 2000s when the Cable Companies dug up all the roads to lay electric cables to roll out Broadband Facilities. Couldn't we tap into all that wiring to help roll out power points for electric vehicles ? Just a question or is it different type of wiring or cabling ?

Equally I'm not expert BUT fibre is very thin and you can cable a lot of houses with a cable as thick as your thumb. The ducts put into the ground for fibre I wouldn't have thought were big enough to take heavy duty power cables. Also it would be a logistical nightmare to ensure the fibre wasn't disturbed / damaged if putting the power in the same ducts.

seagully

Cock-knobs!
Jun 30, 2006
Battle

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here