Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Mathew Clarke (The Forgotten CB)

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
With pages and pages of White stuff , very little has been said about Clarke in respect of his progress at Derby , from what i can gather he seems to be doing ok , 20 appearances for him so far this season , so he's getting the games , i did hear a interview with demi god Liam Rosenior , chatting about him and how they were both settling in but i can't find it anywhere online .

It's quite possible that Clarke turns out to be the better of the two CB's currently on loan but whatever happens next season i think we're covered in that position .

Iv'e not managed to watch any of Derby's games on the telly , i'm assuming they've been live on sky at some point , so how did he play ? to those that have seen him this season .

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I got to England games with a couple of Derby fans. They've not said much about him which is probably a good sign as I'd be getting stick if he was crap. I think he has done pretty well and been fairly solid in an unremarkable Derby team this season.

I watched a couple of their games and he looked good

Last edited:

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
I gather he started well, went off the boil, got injured, came back from injury, now doing ok. Scored recently.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
He is very different to Ben White. White looks a much, much better footballer.
Clarke's potential is to be a new Shane Duffy (and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that, of course)

White's POTENTIAL is much, much higher.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
I think he has suffered badly from the absence of Richard Keogh through his cruel injury blow, it was intended for him to go there and get first team experience and learn from such an experienced pro in a reral game situation the art of defending at a higher level.

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc
With pages and pages of White stuff , very little has been said about Clarke in respect of his progress at Derby , from what i can gather he seems to be doing ok , 20 appearances for him so far this season , so he's getting the games , i did hear a interview with demi god Liam Rosenior , chatting about him and how they were both settling in but i can't find it anywhere online .

It's quite possible that Clarke turns out to be the better of the two CB's currently on loan but whatever happens next season i think we're covered in that position .

Iv'e not managed to watch any of Derby's games on the telly , i'm assuming they've been live on sky at some point , so how did he play ? to those that have seen him this season .

And the even more forgotten loan centre back - Leo Ostigard, is also doing excellently out at St Pauli. One of their star players.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
He is very different to Ben White. White looks a much, much better footballer.
Clarke's potential is to be a new Shane Duffy (and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that, of course)

White's POTENTIAL is much, much higher.

Pretty much this. He’s more of an out and out defender from what I’ve seen. Throws himself in front of balls like dunk and Duffy do. Seems strong in the air as well although not to Diffy’s levels and is a bit better with the ball at his feet.
White is the sort of defender the top sides all want and pay money for. Clarke is the sort of defender everyone else wants when your backs against the wall

The Kid Frankie

Sep 5, 2012
I think it is worth remembering sometimes that players that go out on loan don't always set the world on fire, but can still go on to be solid Prem players - Alzate for example.

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen
I live in Chichester, which also has plenty of Pompey supporting skate botherers, and I LOVE the way we signed their best player (and next Bobby Moore if you believed them) and sent him out on loan to perennial bottlers Derby

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
The Athletic have an article reviewing Derby's needs and plans for the future.
They break down and review each area of the squad.
It seems their manager Phillip Cocu is keen to secure Matt Clarke for a further loan next season.

Defence
First and foremost Derby have to find a way to get Matt Clarke back on loan. Brighton have a lot to sort through themselves as they may have one of Shane Duffy, Ben White or Lewis Dunk picked off by bigger clubs, so it may not be so straightforward. However, Cocu said after the 2-1 defeat against Cardiff that he’d like Clarke back.
“It’s something we should start discussing in the next couple of weeks.” he said post-game.

https://theathletic.co.uk/1927702/2020/07/15/derby-bogle-clarke-martin/

I haven't been following Matt's progress very closely but it must be encouraging that Cocu trusts him and would like to keep him.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
I'm also not too sure about "Shane Duffy being picked off by a bigger club".
Perhaps Shane Duffy moving on as his style of play doesn't fit with Graham Potter's passing philosophy would be more accurate.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
The Athletic have an article reviewing Derby's needs and plans for the future.
They break down and review each area of the squad.
It seems their manager Phillip Cocu is keen to secure Matt Clarke for a further loan next season.

Defence
First and foremost Derby have to find a way to get Matt Clarke back on loan. Brighton have a lot to sort through themselves as they may have one of Shane Duffy, Ben White or Lewis Dunk picked off by bigger clubs, so it may not be so straightforward. However, Cocu said after the 2-1 defeat against Cardiff that he’d like Clarke back.
“It’s something we should start discussing in the next couple of weeks.” he said post-game.

https://theathletic.co.uk/1927702/2020/07/15/derby-bogle-clarke-martin/

I haven't been following Matt's progress very closely but it must be encouraging that Cocu trusts him and would like to keep him.

He's played very well since the restart, was inconsistent earlier in the season but appears to have blossomed with the responsibility of being the only fully fit centre half. A good sign IMO.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
He's played very well since the restart, was inconsistent earlier in the season but appears to have blossomed with the responsibility of being the only fully fit centre half. A good sign IMO.

Thank you, that’s an honest and balanced assessment of one of our players out on loan. Nice change from Leeds fans informing us that a player would prefer to remain at a ‘big club,’ that they would get back to us when they have sorted out his future and that they may sell him to Liverpool and take him back on loan.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Thank you, that’s an honest and balanced assessment of one of our players out on loan. Nice change from Leeds fans informing us that a player would prefer to remain at a ‘big club,’ that they would get back to us when they have sorted out his future and that they may sell him to Liverpool and take him back on loan.

You're welcome - I've no time for egos when it comes to the 'size' of one's football club. It will ALWAYS come back to bite you at some point!!! I always try to be honest and think I have been previously about Clarke, not always favourable but balanced.....

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I think he has suffered badly from the absence of Richard Keogh through his cruel injury blow, it was intended for him to go there and get first team experience and learn from such an experienced pro in a reral game situation the art of defending at a higher level.

Lovin' the irony!

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here

Tehehe

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
I don’t agree with comments likening Matt Clarke to a Duffy type.. at all.

1. we know Potter approved the signing as he attended a game to watch him shortly before the deal concluded. We know the sort of player he likes.

2. he was actually GP’s first signing for us I believe

3. look at this incredible run and dribble Matt Clarke made for this goal. This is not something Duffy would do.

Yes, obviously we have to bare in mind the level of opposition, but you have to be a total footballer in defence to even attempt it let alone execute it.

https://youtu.be/pcnoeIBa9S4

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here