Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Mathew Clarke (The Forgotten CB)

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Clarke has looked solid when I've seen him since the lockdown. He's a brave trier with some quality. Whether he is PL standard I wouldn't like to say, yet.

Given our abundance of riches at CB, if we keep all we have plus White coming in (as an upgrade on Balogun), another year at Derby (for a suitable loan fee) makes sense.

I've seen a fair bit of Ostigard at St Pauli and whilst he has some quality, I'd say he's further off PL standard than Clarke. Champ loan for him too would make sense.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
It could be (in regards to our defence)......

Out: Duffy & Schelotto

In: White & Clarke

Potter loves centre backs & central midfielders on the flanks. White looks like he can play at least three positions effectively so he could be a utility player where as Clarke would be a replacement for Duffy.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
No idea how good Clarke is, but as somebody else has already said: it tickles me no end that we nicked Pompey's best player by far just for a laugh only to farm him immediately out to a mid table Championship side. I confess to glancing at their forums in the last week or so (pretty much since about the time they fluffed the Third Division play offs on penalties, as it goes). They don't seem to have adequately replaced Clarke in any way shape or form yet, which is pleasing. And now the FL are talking about introducing a significant wage cap for lower league sides, which- in Pompey's case- would mean them having to reduce their existing wage bill by a fair bit, never mind making loads of Disney-funded new signings. Marvellous stuff. Keep them down there forever!

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
It tickles me no end that we can rightfully refer to Wayne Rooney's Derby County as a mid table Championship side.

Average, even. Ordinary. Mediocre. On a par with Blackburn Rovers and Sheffield Wednesday. That sort of level?

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
What's happened to Keogh anyway? I'd heard he was planning to appeal against his sacking. Has that happened yet or has he ditched it and gone quietly into the night?

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
It could be (in regards to our defence)......

Out: Duffy & Schelotto

In: White & Clarke

Potter loves centre backs & central midfielders on the flanks. White looks like he can play at least three positions effectively so he could be a utility player where as Clarke would be a replacement for Duffy.

this, but I reckon we could very well need a new lb too, reckon Bernardo will want out this summer

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
And now the FL are talking about introducing a significant wage cap for lower league sides, which- in Pompey's case- would mean them having to reduce their existing wage bill by a fair bit, never mind making loads of Disney-funded new signings. Marvellous stuff. Keep them down there forever!

Perhaps John Westwood could flog his bell to help out. #twats

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Potter initially scouted him to sign him for Swansea, but I guess what he saw convinced him that he could turn into a good PL defender. Now when Ben White turned out to be great in the Championship, it's possible the Clarke signing is turning out a bit redundant though I'm sure Potter will have a look at him in the pre-season.

As he was reportedly signed for a little less than £4m he will fairy likely be a good piece of business even if he would get sold without doing a single game for the club.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Potter initially scouted him to sign him for Swansea, but I guess what he saw convinced him that he could turn into a good PL defender. Now when Ben White turned out to be great in the Championship, it's possible the Clarke signing is turning out a bit redundant though I'm sure Potter will have a look at him in the pre-season.

As he was reportedly signed for a little less than £4m he will fairy likely be a good piece of business even if he would get sold without doing a single game for the club.
Sell him back to Pompey for 5 million.....result.

Oh

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Clarke has looked solid when I've seen him since the lockdown. He's a brave trier with some quality. Whether he is PL standard I wouldn't like to say, yet.

Given our abundance of riches at CB, if we keep all we have plus White coming in (as an upgrade on Balogun), another year at Derby (for a suitable loan fee) makes sense.

I've seen a fair bit of Ostigard at St Pauli and whilst he has some quality, I'd say he's further off PL standard than Clarke. Champ loan for him too would make sense.

Sounds about right to me, he is wanted back on loan - One things for sure, Derby won't be throwing money around but neither will most clubs, I suspect.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Sounds like Duffy could have yet more competition next season. We really are stacked at the back but lacking depth up top aren't we (resisted a joke about Belle Delphine or Mrs HS here ??? 2020 for you :shrug: ).

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Sounds like Duffy could have yet more competition next season. We really are stacked at the back but lacking depth up top aren't we (resisted a joke about Belle Delphine or Mrs HS here ??? 2020 for you :shrug: ).

Surely Duffy will go.
I just hope his fee would be his value to the right team.
Not his value in our team.

Clarke sounds good. I’d like to see him back.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
if Duffy goes which I think he will.. then surely just bring White and Clarke back into the squad. Dunk, Webster, White and Clarke sounds great to me as a 4 to choose from.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here