Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] How to improve NS and Amex atmosphere?

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Personally I think the atmosphere in the North Stand is 90% dead and only springs to life when we play Palace and the few rare occasions but since we have gone Premier League it's gone downhill
We had a far better atmosphere in there when we were a Championship side.

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

Well yes doesn't that directly correlate to the excitement on the pitch, the atmosphere wasnt very good during the Hyypia months.

Jordy

Exiled Seagull
Dec 1, 2009
I think it’s a fantastic idea from [MENTION=3552]Moshe Gariani[/MENTION] and something needs to be done as the atmosphere is piss poor bar the odd game here and there.

As others have said and from when I was young, it was always a case of you only stood on the North Stand if you was going to vocally get behind the stripes, and back then it was PotG.

Sadly the problems we have now IMO is three fold. 1) we live in a must have a season ticket culture and with all seater stadiums and capacity limits firmly in place etc you can understand the rationale behind the want/need to have a season ticket. 2) a lot of people like to be in amongst the atmosphere, but don’t really add to it. They love the noise and the passion, but only perhaps join in with one song when we’re winning. 3) the season tickets in the North Stand are the cheapest in the stadium, so regardless of their singing preferences they have bought one there is its what they can afford or perhaps more so because that’s all they’re prepared to pay.

All the while we’re in the Premier League the need/want for a season ticket won’t change, and while we stay in the division if anything the waiting list will grow as our support grows. If we go down and sales drastically reduce then we could potentially do something on that front and move people in/force others out. Supporters could be offered seats elsewhere for the same money which is a great idea, but realistically I can’t see the club going for it and losing money when someone could then take their place in the North Stand who is exactly the same or worse than the fan/s coming out.

Reality is we’re a but fudged to do anything about it as for me the main problem is the many who think that clapping along to GOSBTS pre match and giving one rendition of Albion, Albion is enough, as these fans won’t want to move regardless of any offer.

Only real way to combat our problem is for CCTV to be used to full effect and spotters who report supporters for not singing and they’re immediately removed by stewards and directed to the ticket office to re-allocate their season ticket or given supporter services number/email to do the same. But it might be frowned upon by the powers that be, potentially violating human rights etc. Or another way is those that sing moan and have a dig at those sitting/standing and not joining in, but that could lead to confrontations and flash points so perhaps best not to sadly.

Edit: Perhaps the club could change the terms and conditions of sale for season ticket and general admission sales for the North Stand, and have it built in that getting behind the Albion is a must if buying these seats, failure to do so could lead to possible ejection and having to reallocate your season ticket etc. Advertise it well as of now so supporters have plenty of time to decide whether they want to stay and sing or go elsewhere in ground.

Last edited:

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
We went into N1E on the cup game, my specific intention for this was so junior could hear and sing the songs. I obviously let him know that bad language in the North Stand stays in the North Stand. The only thing that was done collectively were the goal kicks.
By the time one half of the North Stands song had reached our half and we worked out what the song was, the song stopped just as we'd started singing. Then our side started a song and then the same thing happened when it reached the other side of the stand.
I can appreciate that the cup game possibly wasn't the best game to experience the North stand atmosphere as understandably, it was flat but the principle is probably the same for all games. I have no idea what the answer is but I certainly don't think kicking sth's out of their seats, Palace style is.
And to all of you who say that putting the words to GOSBTS on the screens is 'tinpot' or unnecessary, it is actually quite important for the juniors that don't go to every match. As much as you may all know the words, they aren't actually very clear from the East or West stands that we usually frequent because not everyone in there knows them either. If you move about different stands it's actually quite evident. You can't actually hear about ploughing, mowing, reaping and sowing it's just a mumble. I suppose I could make junior learn the words off by heart before we go to the match but having the words on screen at the match, so he can sing along will probably make it a more enjoyable experience.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
First you need fans who actually want to sing.

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
I'm in NG1 and there is a good little section of singers who pipe up regularly, rarely in sync with the centre lot or the group near the West corner though. All fairly random really, just as it has always been as far back as I can remember (1977). I think there are less fans who want to sing in the North for various reasons but there are a lot of fans who just don't know the words so don't join in. I don't want BHA hymn books handed out but a thread of the newest, oldies and most sung BHA chants would at least give those who would like to have a go the chance to have a go.

No drums, song-sheets, uniforms, clackers or choirs please.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Each to their own and all that but I can't help but giggle piss when I see for a millisecond on TV those band of soppy milk tray men waving their 3 flags between them at Cladallover FC, cheers me up that does, so yes go for it, may I suggest everyone has to wear a sombrero and a biodegradable poncho.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Campaign to create a Singing Section in the North Stand for 2021/22 Season

Each to their own and all that but I can't help but giggle piss when I see for a millisecond on TV those band of soppy milk tray men waving their 3 flags between them at Cladallover FC, cheers me up that does, so yes go for it, may I suggest everyone has to wear a sombrero and a biodegradable poncho.
Suggest away. My preference is for no changes to clothing at all. Just for some of the North Stand clans to be close enough to each other to sing the same chant.

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
Can't believe this thread!

If we are winning then people sing, that's why the atmosphere was banging in the championship. Not so successful in the prem.

I think you’ve missed the point a bit.

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
I think trying to get the singing groups together is a great idea, and now that the club aren’t afraid of moving fans, then why not? The two central blocks should be standing the whole game for a start. We need people in there that are going to do that, because at the moment nearly half of them sit down for most of the game. No need to kick people out, just let fans know that it will have constant standing, and if they don’t like that, then they can move.

Right now, it seems to me that there are two main groups, and two smaller groups, but they are all pretty much spread over the back rows, this leads to uncoordinated singing and less volume. The potential is there, just need to get us all together.

I don’t think the club will do this though, and the only way we can make it happen is if we get relegated to, probably, League 1 where we’ll get sub 20,000 crowds and the North will be half empty. I suspect a lot of the singers will stay and the sitting down lot will have disappointed.

I also believe the atmosphere would be much better if the away fans were closer to the North, or even possibly in the North. That probably wouldn’t have much effect on the match day revenue.

Failing that, the singers should just move to the South Stand, next to the away end. I’m willing to do it. We should trial something like that in a cup game.

Tokyohands

Jan 5, 2017
Tokyo
The authorities have killed the fun of going to the football and therefore the atmosphere has gone down the pan at most grounds, not just ours. I hate sitting when watching my team, even when i'm watching at home i'm standing so I think bringing back some standing room will help.

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen
I think 12.30 ko times do us no favours either, not much time for a couple of jars before hand so everyone loosens up and isn't inhibited.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
While we are at it , can’t we sort the north stand limbs out .

Looks pretty lame when we score . Maybe the 2 things are related .

Agree with an earlier post . Those with balls need to start calling the non singers out .

It’s more lively wsu than our supposed noisy end

As for the palace on here . Was no need for a drum the night we beat you with 10 men . Oh how we laughed

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
The stand is too small and, save for a few groups, full of deadly silent frauds who sit on their hands all game.

I've been in there a few times and every time I regretted it, there's more passion on display in my WL section.

'Home end' my arse. It's ****ing dismal. Won't be going back unless a conscious effort is made to liven it up.

Agree the stand is too small, even with a singing section it won't generate the noise levels people expect from a home end.

The few times the Amex has been a cauldron, is when the West Stand have got properly involved ( Sheff Wednesday most notably)

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Perhaps we could take a leaf out of the church’s book, and leave song sheets on the seats, but instead of psalm numbers we have minutes when we are supposed to sing, or flash up song 4 or 6 on the big screen with lyrics.

Embarrassing tinpot discussion.

It should happen organically, we will never turn into a German style ultra super group, if 20% of the crowed leave to catch the bus or train early nearly every game, embarrassing. Plus it’s hard for some in the stadium to get enthusiastic about singing for their second team.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Palace have got potentially the best singing section in the Premier League. Only spoiled by the Always Ultras and their Euro droning and drummer.

In our North Stand we must have 300 proper Albion fans who would do a great job of leading the atmosphere if allowed to group together.

I wasn’t going to bite on this preposterous idea, until you used the phrase “proper fans”... so you’re only a proper fan if you can sing loud.

Forget the fact you may have followed the club for 50 years +, you’re not a proper fan as you don’t know all the words to the latest terrace (seats) chant! W@nker...!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here