Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Southern scraps off-peak Brighton to Victoria trains

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Being a non habitual user of trains i assume this not only means less trains but also not discounted fares, so how much is it likely to cost to got to London for the day?

Is it more feesable to drive?

On one of the rare occasions had to go yesterday but found it was a bus replacement service so drove up to Tower bridge instead and found that the traffic weren't too bad to be fair.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Trying to unscramble this. Looks like there will be no direct trains off-peak. Change at Haywards Heath.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I have recently started hearing radio ads from Southern saying they are investing in building extra roofing on stations, so punters don't have to wait in the rain so long when their service is cancelled, I suppose the money has to come from somewhere ?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
depends on how broad their definition of "peak is" and if they remember the evening Victoria-Brighton route. there's 4 trains an hour, during the day can be 1/10th capacity.
real question here is why it takes 2 years to do the work, seems an awfully long time.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Not sure this is too big a deal.

There are plenty of Thameslinks. And Gatwick Express.

If they run of course.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

But don't a lot of Southern off peak tickets say not valid on Gatwick Express.

Certainly going to hit getting to the Amex from up the line next season

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
When did this start, or when does it start? I know there are going to be some changes due to the redevelopment of Gatwick Airport but it doesn't appear that they have already got rid of direct trains from Brighton to Victoria.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I have recently started hearing radio ads from Southern saying they are investing in building extra roofing on stations, so punters don't have to wait in the rain so long when their service is cancelled, I suppose the money has to come from somewhere ?

You have to salute their faultless logic.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Their press release suggests (but it's not clear) that they're scrapping a couple of trains per hour, or rather sending them to Eastbourne instead.

"We recognise that this will involve change for passengers at Brighton. We are maintaining eight trains to London per hour in the high peaks, and while outside of these times, the service will reduce to six trains per hour, we will be running longer trains."

https://www.brightonandhovenews.org/2020/02/03/southern-scraps-off-peak-brighton-to-victoria-trains/

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
Their press release suggests (but it's not clear) that they're scrapping a couple of trains per hour, or rather sending them to Eastbourne instead.

"We recognise that this will involve change for passengers at Brighton. We are maintaining eight trains to London per hour in the high peaks, and while outside of these times, the service will reduce to six trains per hour, we will be running longer trains."

https://www.brightonandhovenews.org/2020/02/03/southern-scraps-off-peak-brighton-to-victoria-trains/

not clear at all. the press release as presented doesnt mention the train changes at all, only the reasons. the bit at the end, as you quote, is a long way from all off-peak trains will be cancelled.

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
May 20 to May 22.

The cause is the Gatwick work, according to the Argus.

I tend not to read the Arsegas, especially when it comes to the railway.

So they're not scrapping them, they're reducing them to ease congestion through Gatwick while the works are happening? And they're forewarning people about it as well? String 'em up.

Edit: Just read the press release myself, so they are indeed stopping the direct services off peak for 2 years. That'll be fun.

You can read all about it on the Southern website here.

Last edited:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
You have to salute their faultless logic.

I definitely recall large canopies at West Worthing and Portslade stations years past that covered to the edge of the platforms, I think they became slightly dangerous ( ergo, in need of repair, ergo costing money ) and were subsequently ripped down as a short term cost saving exercise. Sad really, the Victorians really built things with style and to last and we just do bodge jobs on everything these days.

Jul 7, 2003

The excuse is that they can't have the splitting service for Littlehampton & Eastbourne/Ore so will instead run those as two separate trains and lose a Brighton service. They also said that passengers wanting to use tickets can either pay more to use the GE services to Victoria or change at Haywards Heath to pick up one of the other services.

Good news for those along the coastway as we generally get longer trains up to Victoria but will also likely mean harder to get a seat on the way home.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here