Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Play like this all the time

mefromringmer

Aug 9, 2013
I've just watched the excellent extended highlights on Seagulls TV of yesterdays match. I ask this question why can't we play like that at home? 66% possession, 19 shots at goal, Schletto, Montoya and Bernardo breaking forward and overlaping and putting in dangerous crosses. Propper and Stephens playing forward not side ways. i could go on. Defend set plays better with Burn back. Play like this for the rest of the season no cause for relegation!!

West Upper Seagull

Oct 31, 2003
Woodingdean
Was at the game yesterday and I would say - “play like we did in the second half for the rest of the season”, because trust me we were very poor in the first half and really looked like relegation fodder at half time.

We need to show and maintain our second half performance for a full 90 minutes on a consistent basis and if we do that we’ll be fine.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Was at the game yesterday and I would say - “play like we did in the second half for the rest of the season”, because trust me we were very poor in the first half and really looked like relegation fodder at half time.

We need to show and maintain our second half performance for a full 90 minutes on a consistent basis and if we do that we’ll be fine.

Isn't that the story of our season? Play Spurs off the park and don't turn up for Sheffield United a few weeks later.

Still not certain that we'll survive but we have it within us to do that and I hope GPott is learning from his very short time in the PL and gets more of an understanding of the league and our players so we then turn out more consistent decent performances.

I think we might be able to after yesterday.:albion2:

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
I've just watched the excellent extended highlights on Seagulls TV of yesterdays match. I ask this question why can't we play like that at home? 66% possession, 19 shots at goal, Schletto, Montoya and Bernardo breaking forward and overlaping and putting in dangerous crosses. Propper and Stephens playing forward not side ways. i could go on. Defend set plays better with Burn back. Play like this for the rest of the season no cause for relegation!!

I can't take too many games like that. Nerve wracking and emotionally draining. Playing really well at times, looking pretty ordinary at other times. Felt drained afterwards. Massive point in the scheme of things. At HT we looked set for the bottom three. At FT, we were still 15th.
Crazy game. Their three goals, resulted from a free kick where Antonio cheated and dived and the other two were massive deflections. Ours were a freak OG, a terrible defensive mix up and a desperately close call for handball. In between all of that , we had the better chances and could have won about 6-4. As it was, a point was a very good days work.

West Upper Seagull

Oct 31, 2003
Woodingdean
Isn't that the story of our season? Play Spurs off the park and don't turn up for Sheffield United a few weeks later.

Still not certain that we'll survive but we have it within us to do that and I hope GPott is learning from his very short time in the PL and gets more of an understanding of the league and our players so we then turn out more consistent decent performances.

I think we might be able to after yesterday.:albion2:

The Spurs game was one of the exceptions, the story of our season so far is playing really well for a half or parts of the game but not being able to maintain it for a full 90 mins like we did against Spurs. I wouldn’t say we didn’t turn up against Sheff Utd, we dominated the play but struggled to break down a very organised team that doesn’t play expansive attacking football like Spurs do.

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
Looked like Potterball how we know it in the 2nd half yesterday and in the 2nd half v Bmuff, begs the question why have we lost a bit of confidence to play that from the start like v Spurs at home and switch to a more positive style once 2 goals behind.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I can't take too many games like that. Nerve wracking and emotionally draining. Playing really well at times, looking pretty ordinary at other times. Felt drained afterwards. Massive point in the scheme of things. At HT we looked set for the bottom three. At FT, we were still 15th.
Crazy game. Their three goals, resulted from a free kick where Antonio cheated and dived and the other two were massive deflections. Ours were a freak OG, a terrible defensive mix up and a desperately close call for handball. In between all of that , we had the better chances and could have won about 6-4. As it was, a point was a very good days work.

Not desperately close at all, one camera angle showed it was nowhere near his hand/arm. The angle the ref had in fairness looked as if it did but sitting in the WSU sometimes it looks like the ball is about to nestle in the top corner of the goal but is in fact flying out for a throw in.

scooter1

How soon is now?
We play better against better teams because they allow us to. Sheffield Utd at home was the changing point, they turned up and crowded out the midfield and defence, and then countered very quickly. We’re not quick enough at the back or in midfield to defend against pace, and with a crowded box there isn’t space to play through the channels. Since Sheffield Utd, opposing teams have looked at how to contain/stop us

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

Well in the second half yes, just a crying shame we had to go two goals down before we woke up.

HalfaSeatOn

Mar 17, 2014
North West Sussex
Under no illusions after yesterday. Very entertaining but poor in terms of quality from both sides. After the confidence busting B'muff, this was about getting a result and starting to build that confidence back up. Job done.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
The Spurs game was one of the exceptions, the story of our season so far is playing really well for a half or parts of the game but not being able to maintain it for a full 90 mins like we did against Spurs. I wouldn’t say we didn’t turn up against Sheff Utd, we dominated the play but struggled to break down a very organised team that doesn’t play expansive attacking football like Spurs do.

Kind of, our game is very effective when teams tire and stop working as hard, give us a little bit of space and we are very difficult to play against. Teams on a downer often don't work as hard - spurs, arsenal, Watford away, Bournemouth at home ; or teams that get complacent like Chelsea second half. Others like West ham, Bournemouth away, Everton away worked exceptionally hard for an hour, but we dominated late on in all those away games. We can expect that effort from teams fighting for survival which is why these games are hard for us. Then there's those like Sheffield, Palace, Newcastle who sit compact so they can keep competing and nullifying the opposition for 90 minutes, and have their own energy late on to get goals, we will find those hard to beat if we can't get the early goal or fail behind.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield

Have to agree. We have been missing him at both ends of the pitch.

Jul 7, 2003

That's why they are called highlights.

For most of the match we were dreadful and the only saving grace is that West Ham were even worse and yet we still went 2-0 and 3-1 down to them. If we play like that for the rest of the season we will be relegated. Too many people getting carried away by the comeback and ignoring the reasons why we were twice two goals down in the match.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here