Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Player Ratings - West Ham (A)

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Can’t see any so here goes...

Ryan - 6 - Made a good save from the first free kick in the first half. Not sure about his decision making for the first goal.
Montoya - 5 - great overlap and cross for Mooy’s early chance but just couldn’t handle Antonio.
Webster - 3 - feel sorry for him. Looks all at sea. Played about three players onside for the first goal. Scored their second which was arguably going wide after making a poor attempt at a headed clearance. Struggled against Antonio when asked to pick him up and gifted them an excellent chance midway through the second half when he couldn’t deal with a simple long ball. 84% passing accuracy for a ball playing centre half?
Dunk - 7 - not his best game but he is playing alongside Webster. Our best defender
Bernado - 6 - decent game
Stephens - 6 - another struggling for form. Feels a generous score but looked far more comfortable in the last twenty minutes when he had more mobile options to pass to.
Propper - 8 - MOTM - great assist, beautiful pass for Trossard’s one on one. Classy
Gross - 6 - good tenacity, especially for the goal. Not influential with the ball
Trossard - 6 - frustrating. Had two very good chances but fluffed his lines
Mooy - 5 - very quiet. Should have scored with the header
Murray - 7 - typical Murray. Bought fouls, intelligent runs and a good finish from a pass that should never had reached him

March - 8 - brilliant impact substitution. Looked sharp and very unlucky with the shot and the free kick.
Greyhound - 7 - injected some much needed directness and pace

mashman156

Aug 7, 2009
Southampton
Ryan 6 - Couple of good saves, helpless for the goals

Montoya 5 - Struggled against Antonio

Webster 5 - Poor defensively, brought ball out well at times second half

Dunk 6 - Good enough but not at his best

Bernardo 6 - Adds something to the side attacking and tracks back well. All their good moments came on the opposite flank

Stephens 5 - Dire first half, the odd moment second including excellent cross field to Schelotto in build up to 3rd goal

Propper 6 - At times looks pure class, and others so sloppy

Mooy 5 - Anonymous throughout and missed a sitter early on

Gross 6 - Gave the ball away regularly but good link up with Propper for 3rd goal and good awareness to score his

Trossard 6 - Missed 2 good chances but adds a spark to the side. More composure needed in final 3rd

Murray 6 - I doubted his inclusion and first half felt justified, second half he helped get the team up the pitch in the way he so often does. Good finish for the goal.

March 7 - Looked sharp and prepared to take on his man, could have sealed a famous win

Schelotto 7 - Bundle of energy and provided width we hadn't had for the first 65 minutes.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
6 - average.

Ryan - 5 - difficult for him on the first as pointed out on the other thread, but needs to do better
Montoya - 5 - tough afternoon
Bernardo - 6
Dunk - 6
Webster - 5
Stephens - 6
Mooy - 5
Gross - 7 - can pick a pass, definitely look better when he plays.
Propper - 8 - everything we did revolved around him
Trossard - 6 - pretty pirouettes but generally wasteful
Murray - 7

Schelotto - 7 - didn't defend once, but didn't need to
March - 7 - bright and purposeful

Potter - 8 - good starting line-up with Murray (Maupay off form), good subs.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I always think for a game like yesterday's, ratings should be done separately for the first and second halves.

Yes.

In fact in the 80's I was aware of at least two professional teams who did this at reserve and youth level. (3 - being average).

Eggman

Jul 8, 2003
West Sussex
Ryan - 6

Montaya - 5
Dunk - 7
Webster - 6
Bernardo - 7

Mooy - 5
Stephens - 6
Propper - 9
Gross - 6
Trossard - 7

Murray - 7

Schellotto - 7
March - 8

LowKarate

Jan 6, 2004
Wombling free
Can’t see any so here goes...

Ryan - 6 - Made a good save from the first free kick in the first half. Not sure about his decision making for the first goal.
Montoya - 5 - great overlap and cross for Mooy’s early chance but just couldn’t handle Antonio.
Webster - 3 - feel sorry for him. Looks all at sea. Played about three players onside for the first goal. Scored their second which was arguably going wide after making a poor attempt at a headed clearance. Struggled against Antonio when asked to pick him up and gifted them an excellent chance midway through the second half when he couldn’t deal with a simple long ball. 84% passing accuracy for a ball playing centre half?
Dunk - 7 - not his best game but he is playing alongside Webster. Our best defender
Bernado - 6 - decent game
Stephens - 6 - another struggling for form. Feels a generous score but looked far more comfortable in the last twenty minutes when he had more mobile options to pass to.
Propper - 8 - MOTM - great assist, beautiful pass for Trossard’s one on one. Classy
Gross - 6 - good tenacity, especially for the goal. Not influential with the ball
Trossard - 6 - frustrating. Had two very good chances but fluffed his lines
Mooy - 5 - very quiet. Should have scored with the header
Murray - 7 - typical Murray. Bought fouls, intelligent runs and a good finish from a pass that should never had reached him

March - 8 - brilliant impact substitution. Looked sharp and very unlucky with the shot and the free kick.
Greyhound - 7 - injected some much needed directness and pace

I think that's a fair assessment for virtually every single player.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Ryan - 6

Montaya - 5
Dunk - 7
Webster - 6
Bernardo - 7

Mooy - 5
Stephens - 6
Propper - 9
Gross - 6
Trossard - 7

Murray - 7

Schellotto - 7
March - 8

And I think this is a fair assessment for virtually every player. Webster's quite apparently our new boo boy, but giving him 3 is just ridiculous. He is a totally different defender than Duffy in that he takes risk and he's encouraged to take risks by our manager. Fans only seem to notice his mistakes, of which there are generally a few a game, but he's been instructed to try and win the ball higher up the pitch so we can launch counter attacks. It's up to other players (RB and DCM especially) to cover him when he leaves the established CB position.
He made one very poor error yesterday IIRC, and it's that one that the OP picked up on and that was reminiscent of his howler that led to Sheff Utd's winner. He certainly needs to eradicate these howlers from his game.
Someone else mentioned that his successful pass rate was only 84%. I think that's about par for the course, precisely because he also takes risks with his passing, for the very reason that he will attempt a bolder (read forward) pass.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Ryan - 5.5 - Not his best game but I really can't be giving a 6 to a keeper who has conceded 3 - deflections were unfortunate, but caught in no man's land for the first.
Montoya - 6 Average - does a decent enough job but never seems to do anything particularly special. I may see things differently after I get through the post -Bruno mourning period ( 2021/22 season)
Dunk - 6 - Decent enough but not the level of performance expected from him - part of a defence which conceded 3 goals for teh second game in a row
Webster 5 - He is the weak link in the defence I'm afraid.
Bernardo - 6 - Not his best game, but has very good moments in all games.
Stephens 6.5 - Struggled first half but was a different player when given some width and mobility in front of him.
Propper 7.5 MOTM - Really good throughout the game, some exceptional passes and quickness of thought.
Mooy - 6 - shackled by West Ham, who generally had his number. Should probably have scored in the first half
Gross - 6.5 - Decent performance throughout - great awareness for the goal.
Trossard - 6.5 - Should have had 2 goals - The guy has a lot of talent and hopefully we will see his performances improve.
Murray - 7 - Did what Glenn does better than anyone else at the club. Hold up play was excellent. Typical Muzza goal and according to Ina Wright an assist for the first with some undetected dark arts on Fabianski.

Scelletto - 7 - quite the impact sub today. Gave some weary West ham defenders absolute nightmares today. Really like the guy, not sure I want to see him start a game though.
March - 7.5 - Showed today why managers have consistently chosen him ahead of others - he is a very talented player. Deserved a goal. Glad to see him back

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
And I think this is a fair assessment for virtually every player. Webster's quite apparently our new boo boy, but giving him 3 is just ridiculous. He is a totally different defender than Duffy in that he takes risk and he's encouraged to take risks by our manager. Fans only seem to notice his mistakes, of which there are generally a few a game, but he's been instructed to try and win the ball higher up the pitch so we can launch counter attacks. It's up to other players (RB and DCM especially) to cover him when he leaves the established CB position.
He made one very poor error yesterday IIRC, and it's that one that the OP picked up on and that was reminiscent of his howler that led to Sheff Utd's winner. He certainly needs to eradicate these howlers from his game.
Someone else mentioned that his successful pass rate was only 84%. I think that's about par for the course, precisely because he also takes risks with his passing, for the very reason that he will attempt a bolder (read forward) pass.

All well and good but can you really afford a ' luxury ' CB at this level, when he is clearly still learning. It is not unfair to say that he makes at least 2-3 dangerously critical errors every game and some cost us dear. I see he is more mobile than Duffy and offers more coming forward but he is a long way from being a Lawrenson or a Beckenbauer. It feels like we are definitely more vulnerable in the air this season, without the regular defensive cover of Duffy and Murray.
He seems to lose his touch on the ball too often. Regularly underhitting or overhitting simple passes. I don't know whether this is a lack of confidence, lack of concentration or lack of ability. It could be some or all of these. GP clearly sees him as his player for the future but he has thrown him in game after game, even following some pretty poor performances. I spoke to a number of fans at Bournemouth and West Ham and didn't find one who was convinced by Webster. He is a £20m player after all, not a lower league signing for £4m/£5m.
I hope he shows the consistency needed for the next few games but at the moment, for the majority of fans, the jury is out. He could be the future with White ( who also looks like Potter's type ) but before then, a lot of improvement is required. 4.5/10 for me. Somewhere between poor and below average. May seem harsh but it was a performance full of errors again.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Only from a live stream:

Ryan - 6. Good save first half. He is not a commanding keeper and I shit myself at every set piece. No chance with any of the goals though tbh.

Montaya - 5. Energetic, couple of good crosses in. Couldn't match Antonio's physicality and thank god Moyes erroneously felt the game was won and to rest him. Lamptey is incy wincy, I hope he can deal with the physicality of the prem, seems odd Chelski let him go.

Dunk - 6. Was adequate. Seems to have lost confidence partnered with Webster? Can't remember any of his good, long range, passing. Even though he's captain he should not be allowed to take freekicks. He was sharp at United but he does not have the skill for them (in fact I'd go as far as to say they are embarrassing).

Webster - 5. Don't take risks if you're not capable/confident/lost your mojo, despite orders from the boss, it'll only destroy your confidence further. If things aren't going well then isn't the rule to keep it simple, go back to basics? Unfortunate deflection but... then again none of us were surprised it was him?! Can still come good but it seems Potter wants him to play through and out of his bad form and that can go two ways of course.... Unfortunately, his facial expressions (gob open and a bit gormless) and his body language post mistakes is annoying me more than it should. Again, he will can still come good so we mustn't be too harsh.

Bernardo - 7. Like him, played well, should keep his spot. What to do when Burn is back though?

Mooy - 5. Over hyped recently imo. I like that I can spot his bald head easily though. Not influential in this game and should have come off earlier - but is he being played too out of position?

Stephens - 6. Did ok and got better as the game went on. His long passing was a bit off though.

Propper - 8. Best midfielder (until Solly). Some excellent passing.

Gross - 7. I still like him in the team because of the cliche of his corners and passing. Good anticipation for the comedy goal (in a game of comedy goals) and very unlike him to have the agility to "nip in". Well done, son.

Trossard - 6. His face frightens me but his ball at feet retention is excellent. Was surprised he didn't score with his chances as previously he has been clinical. As mentioned, a question mark on his delivery but considering he's a Super-Sub he did well as a Starter. The biggest question for me is can he man-up to the physical elements of the Premier league? If he keeps getting brushed off then he ain't gonna be much use to us in a relegation battle.

Murray - 9. Surprise starter and even bigger surprise he did the 90. Well done Glenn. Looked his old pain-in-the-arse-and-clinical-with-a-chance self. Must be on drugs. Hopefully, it will have annoyed Maupay into form too.

Schellotto - 8. Always looks like we've plucked Clint Eastwood's Mexican cowboy nemesis from his horse and onto the pitch for the first time. I really do not know what his attributes are and what he does but (cowboy) hat's off to him he has galvanised the team a number of times from the bench. He unsettles.

March - 9. Game changing performance, love seeing him back. Gutted that freekick didn't go in. Did brilliantly to keep the earlier shot low, saved well. Obvs, the big question is: was that a one-off? If only he can replicate this (even just as a super sub).

Potter - 9. Bloke must have been physically and emotionally tired but he did very well.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Good exciting game and after 2 down great point. However after 70 mins of very poor play cant understand so many high marks

Deano's Invisible Pants

Mar 1, 2008
As others have said, a game of two halves, when we forgot our principles in the first half and played hoof all, but then discovered them again in the second.

Ryan - 6. Decent handling but at fault for their first goal when he came for it but didn’t get there. Some aimless kicking in the first half.

Montoya - 5. Struggled with Antonio and lacks quality going forward. The greyhound was a clear upgrade.

Dunk - 6. Solid enough - but not at his best at the moment, playing in an incontinent defence.

Webster - 5. Feel sorry for him. He’s a classy player but he looks shot of confidence and needs to be taken out of the firing line. Just too many mistakes.

Bernardo - 7. Good game. Offered an outlet going forward.

Stephens - 6. Poor in the first half, better in the second.

Mooy - 5. Very quiet game by his standards - but was more or less bypassed in the first half because of our ‘direct’ tactics.

Gross - 5. Same as Mooy and Stephens.

Propper - 8. MOM. Oozed class and was our stand our player - especially in the second half.

Trossard - 6. Some nice moments but needs to be more clinical.

Murray - 7. Doubted his selection and thought he was pretty anonymous in the first half. But really came into his own and deserved his goal.

Subs: Greyhound - 7.5. Great impact and energy; March - 7. Also did well and caused them problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
Webster 4 - played on side for first goal, hit second into own net, gave away ball a lot.
Mooy 4 - missed sitter and pace of a snail today
Montoya 5 - got raped by Antonio but Bernardo probably would have too
Dunk 7.5
Propper 8
Murray 8
March 9.5 - best ever seen him play. Had a free roaming role
Rest 6.5

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Ryan - 6.

Montoya - 5.

Dunk - 6.

Webster - 4

Bernardo - 7.

Stephens - 3

Mooy - 4

Gross - 7

Propper - 8.

Trossard - 7

Murray - 8

Subs: I questioned his subs at the time. Apparently Potter spotted a weakness in their left hand side as the game wore on so loaded our right side with fresh legs and pace. Clever move which yielded a result.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park

I’m sorry but you’re taking crap. I was at the game, watched MOTD and the extended highlights. He was atrocious In pretty much every aspect of his game. He just can’t play in a two IMO.

- he was bullied at the free kick and played loads of their players onside
- unlucky, but ultimately poor for the second
- bullied by Antonio when he went more central in the second half to the point where it looked like he gave up when Antonio got his last chance on target
- made a terrible error similar to the one that led to our second
- regularly poor distribution. Dunk by comparison had 95% passing accuracy and played two more long balls than Webster. His passes included the delightful one that released Trossard for the early Mooy pass.

None of his errors were caused by a lack of cover from Stephens or Montoya, they were caused by his own sloppiness.

That’s not an agenda, that’s not making a scapegoat, it’s an assessment of his game. What exactly did you think he did well yesterday?

Last edited:

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I’m sorry but you’re taking crap. I was at the game, watched MOTD and the extended highlights. He was atrocious In pretty much every aspect of his game. He just can’t play in a two IMO.

- he was bullied at the free kick and played loads of their players onside
- unlucky, but ultimately poor for the second
- bullied by Antonio when he went more central in the second half to the point where it looked like he gave up when Antonio got his last chance on target
- made a terrible error similar to the one that led to our second
- regularly poor distribution. Dunk by comparison had 95% passing accuracy and played two more long balls than Webster. His passes included the delightful one that released Trossard for the early Mooy pass.

None of his errors were caused by a lack of cover from Stephens or Montoya, they were caused by his own sloppiness.

That’s not an agenda, that’s not making a scapegoat, it’s an assessment of his game. What exactly did you think he did well yesterday?

I was also at the game, saw MotD and the Extended Highlights. You might have noticed that I agreed with another poster that gave him 5 (this seems to be the most popular score that he's received), so I'm hardly saying he was magnificent. There were plenty of interceptions, tackles, headed clearances (eg before the final whistle), blocked one Antonio effort, carrying the ball out of defence and decent passes.
-- he wasn't at fault for their first. Diop ran from deep. You're right that he was our deepest defender, but are we going to produce lists of deepest defenders at free kicks (they had a fair few in the first half)?
-- ditto with Bernardo for their third but, yes, I agree that he might have done better there
-- I mentioned one poor missed header (reminiscent of Sheff Utd howler) in my previous crap post. Don't know if Antonio was involved. He certainly gave the ball away in a dangerous position in the second half but, fortunately, it came to nothing
-- not sure what you're referring to
-- I don't remember too many poor passes, I do remember him miscontrolling the ball a few times but that didn't lead to anything

I haven't accused you of having an agenda. Merely that Webster is our new boo boy. FWIW, provided Duffy's fit, I'd bring him in for Watford, because Deeney will be after Webster, and I think that we need to match their physicality. The Stephens, Montoya issue isn't relevant as I was making a general point about how Webster plays and has been encouraged to play.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
I was also at the game, saw MotD and the Extended Highlights. You might have noticed that I agreed with another poster that gave him 5 (this seems to be the most popular score that he's received), so I'm hardly saying he was magnificent. There were plenty of interceptions, tackles, headed clearances (eg before the final whistle), blocked one Antonio effort, carrying the ball out of defence and decent passes.
-- he wasn't at fault for their first. Diop ran from deep. You're right that he was our deepest defender, but are we going to produce lists of deepest defenders at free kicks (they had a fair few in the first half)?
-- ditto with Bernardo for their third but, yes, I agree that he might have done better there
-- I mentioned one poor missed header (reminiscent of Sheff Utd howler) in my previous crap post. Don't know if Antonio was involved. He certainly gave the ball away in a dangerous position in the second half but, fortunately, it came to nothing
-- not sure what you're referring to
-- I don't remember too many poor passes, I do remember him miscontrolling the ball a few times but that didn't lead to anything

I haven't accused you of having an agenda. Merely that Webster is our new boo boy. FWIW, provided Duffy's fit, I'd bring him in for Watford, because Deeney will be after Webster, and I think that we need to match their physicality. The Stephens, Montoya issue isn't relevant as I was making a general point about how Webster plays and has been encouraged to play.

So you disagree, yet think he should be dropped?!

In terms of passes, 1 in 6 didn’t reach their man compared to 1 in 20 for Dunk. We’re told that’s the reason he’s in the side, yet he’s not even delivering on that count and Dunk was more adventurous yesterday. As soon as Duffy is fit he needs to be taken out of the firing line. We’ve conceded six goals against Bournemouth and West Ham and he’s been by far the worst of a bad bunch. It’s early days still for him at this level but we’re leaking like a sieve and he’s not bringing anything to the table.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here