Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] How did we get so bad at defending free kicks?

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
We're setting the line too high and remaining static when the kick is taken. Its costing us a goal a game at the moment. It just seems to be an obvious error in our tactics. Looking at all the similar free kicks on MOTD tonight, the defenders must be mobile and already on the move as the kick is taken. Ours are rooted to the spot and we seem to be relying on the attackers breaking the line and being offside. Its suicidal and so easy to beat. We used to be good at these.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Wasn’t the opener today simply because Webster blinked first and stepped back, playing the scorer onside? Easier said that done, as it must take great discipline and nerve to NOT move until the free kick is struck.

If anything VAR might be able to give defenders to do that, with all offside goals chalked off eventually.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Wasn’t the opener today simply because Webster blinked first and stepped back, playing the scorer onside? Easier said that done, as it must take great discipline and nerve to NOT move until the free kick is struck.

If anything VAR might be able to give defenders to do that, with all offside goals chalked off eventually.

From MoTD, the goalscorer was WAY onside, as he came from behind the rest of the players.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
From MoTD, the goalscorer was WAY onside, as he came from behind the rest of the players.

https://youtu.be/yZ4Vklcm51s
I stand corrected, you’re right. At 00:23.

The commentator is saying we have defensive line issues with these type of deliveries. What could we do differently to stop that goal? A runner with Diop? It seemed a dogs dinner.

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon

The commentator is saying we have defensive line issues with these type of deliveries. What could we do differently to stop that goal? A runner with Diop? It seemed a dogs dinner.

The line is too high. Drop it 2 yards. The defenders are too static and watching the ball as the attackers run through the line like a knife through butter.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
All defending has been shit. It's Potters BIGGEST DOWNFALL. It's what will ultimately send us down

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton

The opener was Ryan's fault. Clearly shouts "keeper" and inexplicably comes off his line but I guess we can always blame Webster again.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
We are just poor at defending full stop. For there first goal Gross was clearly marking there scorer. For unknown reason when he made run he just stayed and didnt go with him

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
https://youtu.be/yZ4Vklcm51s

You get defenders/ midfield closer together and don’t allow straight runs. Also if you are deeper, only a few yards there’s more of an option for Ryan.

Yesterday although he looked bad on their goal very difficult ‘stick or twist’ situation for him IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Our defending of set pieces is non-existent. It isn’t only one player it is the who unit. It seems to have happened since big Fan got injured, but I can’t see how that can be the cause! It is true that Webster has totally lost confidence and needs a break out of the team, but we make mistakes all over. Maybe we have a new back 4 with new right back, Duffy, Dunk and Burn very soon. I certainly think Duffy and Dunk will bring organisation.

GloryDays

Jul 5, 2011
Leyton, E10.
Urm...wasn’t this a massive problem last season as well, that we conceded pretty much every set piece against us...like 12 corners in a row or something? Annoyingly nothing new. It was the same last season only that was even more remarkable since Duffy wins everything in the air all the time, apparently.

GloryDays

Jul 5, 2011
Leyton, E10.
The opener was Ryan's fault. Clearly shouts "keeper" and inexplicably comes off his line but I guess we can always blame Webster again.

Surely if the GK shouts, “Keeper” they have to come off their line to get the ball? I would think the opposite of inexplicable.

Not watching it back but from memory we were too high. A chasm of space between MR and defensive line. Ryan looked silly but not his fault IMO.

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
Urm...wasn’t this a massive problem last season as well, that we conceded pretty much every set piece against us...like 12 corners in a row or something? Annoyingly nothing new. It was the same last season only that was even more remarkable since Duffy wins everything in the air all the time, apparently.

No - that was the season before. It was recognised and we changed it, giving Duffy a freer role at corners. After the change we were good.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I don't think it would be any different with Duffy in there. I do think its something they have to work on and doubt its passed Potter by :lolol:

It wasn't an issue til very recently though. I was thinking at half time how much we are missing Dan Burn. His versality meant that when we were sitting deep or defending set-plays we effectively had three big centre-backs, switching to a more traditional 4 at the back when attacking. It was very effective, I can't think of set-play issues in the first half of the year. I wonder if GP was thinking of replicating that in reverse with Webster on the right, but Duffy's injury has kiboshed any of those thoughts

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Most goals are conceded when our midfield players fail to pick up their man. Gross and Propper are terrible in their own area, so static.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I thought this was going to be a thread about Watford.

Pascal must really want a crack at their corner defending, next week.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here