Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Copyright law

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Anyone good on copyright law ?

I posted a picture on twitter that I took yesterday which was then picked up by a Belgian journo.

He posted it with no reference to me and without my permission.... tbh wasn’t that bothered but just thought he was a dick.

However since then I’ve seen it all over the place including Sky Sports, but crediting him for the picture.

I assume there is nothing I can do, but just annoyed he hasn’t even asked my permission.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

I posted a picture on twitter that I took yesterday which was then picked up by a Belgian journo.

He posted it with no reference to me and without my permission.... tbh wasn’t that bothered but just thought he was a dick.

However since then I’ve seen it all over the place including Sky Sports, but crediting him for the picture.

I assume there is nothing I can do, but just annoyed he hasn’t even asked my permission.

Have a read through this. http://gakuran.com/daily-mail-used-my-photos-without-permission-and-without-payment/

I'd also tell Sky Sports you are the original author

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

I don't know Copyright law, but if it helps, I've retweeted your question to the journo.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
Not sure to be honest. However it is an interesting one and would be keen to know the answer if anyone has it

More importantly - what is the picture?!

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Not sure to be honest. However it is an interesting one and would be keen to know the answer if anyone has it

The picture was long term NSC topic Sander Berge.

Was working in Sheffield this week, and yesterday morning was sat in reception when Sander strolled in and so did Chris Wilder. Naturally I took a picture.... of fact it’s even on the Sander Berge thread posted by someone who saw it.

Kristoff Terreur obviously saw it and rather than share it crediting me just copied the picture and posted it as his own. And since is being credited for its use !!!

I contacted him saying any chance of crediting me but ignoring me.

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
The picture was long term NSC topic Sander Berge.

Was working in Sheffield this week, and yesterday morning was sat in reception when Sander strolled in and so did Chris Wilder. Naturally I took a picture.... of fact it’s even on the Sander Berge thread posted by someone who saw it.

Kristoff Terreur obviously saw it and rather than share it crediting me just copied the picture and posted it as his own. And since is being credited for its use !!!

I contacted him saying any chance of crediting me but ignoring me.

Reply on twitter to his followers that he has stolen the pic without your permission although he will probably block you

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now

No, no, no! Surely the important question is, What was the OP doing in Sheffield Utd's reception? :whistle:

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003

First thing to do is to screengrab every use you see ASAP.

But then go to these guys... https://www.pixsy.com/

EDIT: Actually, has it only been re-published around Twitter? Bit of a minefield, that. If it's used on websites, you could invoice them.

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en...hUKEwjx1Zm44K3nAhWNTsAKHVQOD8gQ4dUDCAs&uact=5

Last edited:

Spadge

Sep 21, 2011
I can assist a little bit here.

1st you need to prove the original photo is actually yours.

Did you take it on your mobile or a DSLR Camera?

Either way your photo will contain a lot of info that you cannot see in a photo via the Metadata.

If taken on for example an Apple iphone then the Metadata will show that, it will also show the date and time it was taken, can you prove you was there at the date and time, if you checked in before it was taken and out after then yes that's easy for you to prove, but can the other person claiming the image is theirs?

Did you post it online anywhere? was this posted before anybody else has posted the image anywhere else?

Lastly if taken on a DSLR do you have the settings set so your name is in the Metadata? If yes then its win, win.

If you are confident on the above then I suggest you seek legal advise as you will be due royalties for the use of the image.

As an example Getty image will charge £39 for an image to be used online for 3 months, after that the license will need to be renewed. (Remember this when posting a photo on facebook that's not yours, it might seem harmless to you)

Anything after that date depends on how big the publication is using it and there audience, so a publication that hits 1 million people online in the uk only could expect £90 for the image.

Now if its used in a Newspaper with over 5 million UK viewers the image is £298, if its worldwide its £595 for the license.

Copyright is a very messy scenario but aslong as you can prove its your image you should fight tooth and nail for it, don't let someone else gain from your work.

Bit long winded but hope that helps

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
I can assist a little bit here.

1st you need to prove the original photo is actually yours.

Did you take it on your mobile or a DSLR Camera?

Either way your photo will contain a lot of info that you cannot see in a photo via the Metadata.

If taken on for example an Apple iphone then the Metadata will show that, it will also show the date and time it was taken, can you prove you was there at the date and time, if you checked in before it was taken and out after then yes that's easy for you to prove, but can the other person claiming the image is theirs?

Did you post it online anywhere? was this posted before anybody else has posted the image anywhere else?

Lastly if taken on a DSLR do you have the settings set so your name is in the Metadata? If yes then its win, win.

If you are confident on the above then I suggest you seek legal advise as you will be due royalties for the use of the image.

As an example Getty image will charge £39 for an image to be used online for 3 months, after that the license will need to be renewed. (Remember this when posting a photo on facebook that's not yours, it might seem harmless to you)

Anything after that date depends on how big the publication is using it and there audience, so a publication that hits 1 million people online in the uk only could expect £90 for the image.

Now if its used in a Newspaper with over 5 million UK viewers the image is £298, if its worldwide its £595 for the license.

Copyright is a very messy scenario but aslong as you can prove its your image you should fight tooth and nail for it, don't let someone else gain from your work.

Bit long winded but hope that helps

Many thanks for the response.

I can easily prove it’s my photo, I took it on an iPhone so it has all the data.

Secondly the picture I posted is slightly cropped from the original I took which hasn’t been posted by me anywhere.

I posted on Twitter, I have a screenshot of the time I posted it and a screenshot of the time it was reposted without any mention of me.

I’ve found it on several websites and have screen shot it, however HLN have copyrighted the picture on their website.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

They can claim copyright, but they are wrong to do so. It is theft of copyright, and not only can you claim, but you can sue.

As per Spdge's post above, you can put in the claim that it is your copyright, and with the supporting evidence, this will very quickly be corrected. Deliberate theft of copyright is still fairly taboo in certain (professional) publishing circles.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
however HLN have copyrighted the picture on their website.

They can't claim copyright on something that's not theirs. Go after them.

(Note: If you *don't* go after them, you might relinquish the rights by default. So definitely register a complaint with them as first step).

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Deliberate theft of copyright is still fairly taboo in certain (professional) publishing circles.

"Fairly taboo"?

Using - and claiming copyright of - an image which isn't yours is a criminal offence!

hln.be will try to brush it off as an admin error, but they'd have to pay compensation to keep it out of court.

It's a prominent image on a major story on a major website.

I'd be claiming £250 usage fee (as it's an exclusive pic) and £250 damages (for using without permission).

Plenty of discussion on the subject on https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/talk-photography.19/

Spadge

Sep 21, 2011
I cant argue with any of the comments here.

Its yours, go after them and get the credit and payment your entitled too.

Keep us updated.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here