Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] C4 The Supervet (Noel Fitzpatrick)

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
This evening’s episode has been a tear jerker. Noel and his team are simply amazing. Obviously highly skilled, they’re also so compassionate to the pets and their owners.

A gorgeous English Bulldog was in for an op, but they found other serious issues, so he had to be put to sleep. For anyone here who’s faced that decision as a pet owner and have been there at the farewell, you’ll empathise.

The best of humanity.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Indeed ....

I've always found it hard to square off that we are kinder to our pets than our own human race.
We euthanase pets regularly, in the name of doing the right thing, but a human, in pain and with no hope of recovery has not choice but to go on living / suffering ....

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Guys a legend and really cares and gets emotional. Great bloke.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Very popular programme in the tackle household.

Don't agree with the sweeping statement above conflating putting down sick animals but not legalizing human euthanasia. Is today the day of inappropriate comparisons?

Edit: Humans can give informed consent and euthanasia isn't legal here. Animals can't give informed consent. This is a minefield for discussion perhaps, but maybe not on this thread? That's all I meant.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Took me straight back to 4 years ago when I had to make that awful decision to let my girl go. A few tears tonight.

Same here tonight. Really felt for that family, unexpectedly losing their beloved pal.

I said goodbye to our gorgeous 21 year old cat 4 years ago. No complaints about her innings, but we had a special bond, she adored me ... the feeling was mutual. I always remember the positives ... we gave her a pampered, amazing life.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
What is it about certain dog breeds, bulldogs are a classic, hideous inbreeding. Poor thing should never have been born.

I sincerely hope that behind the scenes and post grief some serious questions are asked.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
What is it about certain dog breeds, bulldogs are a classic, hideous inbreeding. Poor thing should never have been born.

I sincerely hope that behind the scenes and post grief some serious questions are asked.

Supporting that, Noel discovered that due to genetic issues, the bulldog had in effect been “breathing through a straw” for quite a while. Starving the lungs and brain of oxygen. The family were genuinely unaware.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Supporting that, Noel discovered that due to genetic issues, the bulldog had in effect been “breathing through a straw” for quite a while. Starving the lungs and brain of oxygen. The family were genuinely unaware.

I wonder how much homework they did before selecting a breeder, or whether other factors were a consideration, like price. They did seem genuinely unaware and clearly upset. But BUll dogs, along with several other prominent breeds, are well known for genetic in breeding problems.

I'll refrain from suggesting ignorance is bliss as we don't know facts, but it did cross my mind.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I wonder how much homework they did before selecting a breeder, or whether other factors were a consideration, like price. They did seem genuinely unaware and clearly upset. But BUll dogs, along with several other prominent breeds, are well known for genetic in breeding problems.

I'll refrain from suggesting ignorance is bliss as we don't know facts, but it did cross my mind.

I suspect that most people aren’t as analytical as us (not said sarcastically), and just get a rescue or bought dog/puppy based on their heart.

I agree, the unnatural breeding lines, creates abnormalities and is cruel in a way.

I’m not a dog owner.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

A year, almost to the day since losing our fabulous, loving 16 year old dog, we have bitten the bullet and bought a puppy which arrived with us today.

We have gone for a miniature Pinscher and were a little concerned about potential in breeding. It cost more but we have a kennel club registered dog with history of the parents. The mother was brought over from Poland and mated with an English dog. No guarantees on designer dogs but I hope that we have avoided the worst of inbreeding.

It’s great to have a dog again but the hurt from losing our last dog has been hard to get over. The time is now right. All our other dogs have been rescue dogs and it’s a long time since we got a dog as a puppy. Not sure we know what we’ve let ourselves in for :ohmy:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
A year, almost to the day since losing our fabulous, loving 16 year old dog, we have bitten the bullet and bought a puppy which arrived with us today.

We have gone for a miniature Pinscher and were a little concerned about potential in breeding. It cost more but we have a kennel club registered dog with history of the parents. The mother was brought over from Poland and mated with an English dog. No guarantees on designer dogs but I hope that we have avoided the worst of inbreeding.

It’s great to have a dog again but the hurt from losing our last dog has been hard to get over. The time is now right.

How lovely, wishing you years of happiness with your new pal!

(A distraction from football too).

p.s, Look forward to seeing you in the ring at Cruffs.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Good luck. icy, it's like having a toddler in the house again . . . . If I'd realised a new young dog was like another child I'd never have agreed to it, but they're very much part of the family, and once settled arguably better behaved than some of us!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here