Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Racism v. Foul Language. Which is Worse?

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
With all the current attempts to cut racism out of sport, aided by the Kick It Out campaign, and with stewards at the Amex and outher football stadia jumping on individuals who show even the slightest racist tendencies, it got me thinking.

To my mind what is just as bad, and far more common, is the use of foul language across the game, now l absolutely abhor the C word, especially when it is used around women and children, but of course absolutely nothing is done to stop or even curb that.

Now l know that many people will say that swearing is just a part of life nowadays, and to an extent that's true, but l think people can go much too far at times, and at it's worst l see it as just as big a problem as racism.

Doubtless some will vilify me for my opinion, but l've got a thick skin!

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Swearing is deemed acceptable now whereas racism isn’t.
Years ago people were shocked when the f word was used on television. It’s unusual to watch anything in the evening which doesn’t use it.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It’s not the words which are offensive, it’s the person who spouts them. So it depends what was said, and who said it.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Swearing is deemed acceptable now whereas racism isn’t.
Years ago people were shocked when the f word was used on television. It’s unusual to watch anything in the evening which doesn’t use it.

Accepted by a lot of people yes, but that doesn't make it right in my book.

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc
Racism is worse.

The difference being that racism is used to vilify or alienate a minority for something they are not in control of and has no impact on their character, whereas foul language tends to be used more passively in general (this is f****** shit, stop passing to the opposition), or more directly as a result of someone’s action (i.e. calling a player a c*** after a bad foul).

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
What the **** is this thread?! Seriously?

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
When a yoof I was educated by the original North Stand to some swear words and other vocal stuff......
When visiting the Amex I / we get to hear the occasional old fashioned language, plus have heard 'get up you ponce' and 'get up you ape', which can be taken in connotation.

If fans hear something derogatory, then they are quite right to report.
If the stewards here something, then they are right to act in a manner, providing they are sure where it has come from.

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
When a yoof I was educated by the original North Stand to some swear words and other vocal stuff......
When visiting the Amex I / we get to hear the occasional old fashioned language, plus have heard 'get up you ponce' and 'get up you ape', which can be taken in connotation.

What’s wrong with using the word ponce?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here