Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Alistair stewart

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Highly respected journalist and newsreader, apparently sacked or forced to resign for quoting Shakespeare at a belligerent tweeter. Yes the word ape was used but in the context of a lengthy paragraph. Stewart is known as a bit of an intellectual and has used the same phrase before when responding to another tweet from someone white last year.

The tweeter who complained had previous for referring to people by their colour and highlighting so called white privilege and also just being white.

Andy Naylor has shown his support for the black man who complained by tweeting Stewart had been sacked. But most people on Twitter feel that the man has used his colour as a reason to complain and get Stewart sacked and it was not racist .

I’ve not seen many examples of Naylor supporting any other minority but several supporting black issues. I’m not saying that is wrong and he is entitled to tweet and show his support for whatever he likes but it does seem very heavily focused on black issues which as a mainstream sports journalist seems a little unusual .

What do NSC think ? Unfair or not unfair .

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
I’m not outraged at all. After reading about this incident and previous tweets from both Stewart and the man who complained, it seems like something doesn’t add up in this particular instance.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Grossly unfair,,I would never call him a racist ,but unfortunately, in this day and age of political correctness what did he expect?

Some twenty odd years ago working in the old ITN building in Wells Street, l came across Alastair Stewart quite frequently in the bar, and he seemed like a really likeable level headed guy, (not that one can glean too much from that of course).

So beware you tweeters, once you press that send button, what you say will be out there forever, and can come back to haunt you in your dotage!

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
This I think may be the issue certainly with the so called woke generation. It is grossly unfair to accuse someone of racism or anti Semetism or islamaphobia etc without a reasonable degree of evidence . You can’t just accuse someone that maybe doesn’t agree with you on something as a means to shut down debate. This undermines all the brilliant work done by the various racism groups who help to educate people in the right way about these issues.

By the way I would never eat gammon. Tastes disgusting . !

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
I hope this breaks no rules, and please dont call me racist, but as a Shakespeare fan I was intreagued ,so I culled this from another site (a newspaper ) . The quote from "Measure for Measure"

"But man, proud man,
'Dress'd in a little brief authority,
'Most ignorant of what he's most assur'd—
'His glassy essence—like an angry ape
'Plays such fantastic tricks before high heaven
'As makes the angels weep; who, with our spleens,
'Would all themselves laugh mortal'

I doubt if any slur was intended, but its easy to see how a person could take offence

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Even though he was quoting Shakespeare, you just can’t say those sort of things any more.

I finding myself more annoyed with those expressing the outrage. The default response is that every white person who doesn’t agree with them is racist. Cf Lawrence Fox or the criticism of Meghan Markle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
I hope this breaks no rules, and please dont call me racist, but as a Shakespeare fan I was intreagued ,so I culled this from another site (a newspaper ) . The quote from "Measure for Measure"

"But man, proud man,

I doubt if any slur was intended, but its easy to see how a person could take offence

dont get it, am i missing something? What is offensive from that Shakey piece?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
In context the sister of her condemned brother is pleading for his life from an authority who has decided to take the law strictly after years of ignoring certain bylaws. She is basically calling the man arrogant and ignorant for not realizing he himself will be judged and ends with the angles dying of their own laughter at the foolishness if they had our mortal passion (spleens)....or something like that...

Isabella:
Merciful heaven,
Thou rather with thy sharp and sulphurous bolt
Splits the unwedgeable and gnarlèd oak
Than the soft myrtle; but man, proud man,
Dress'd in a little brief authority,
Most ignorant of what he's most assur'd—
His glassy essence—like an angry ape
Plays such fantastic tricks before high heaven
As makes the angels weep; who, with our spleens,
Would all themselves laugh mortal.

Measure For Measure Act 2, scene 2, 114–123

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
dont get it, am i missing something? What is offensive from that Shakey piece?

I don’t think anyone has said it was offensive, ITV called it a ‘misjudgement’ which from a serious impartial reader of the news likely has to be held to a standard above many others in broadcasting.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Alistair's error was quoting Shakespeare, far too high brow for many to understand.
Strange that Alistair has to go, but Piers Morgan is able to tweet with immunity.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

"But man, proud man,

Well for anyone to take offence at that, they must be very insecure.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Not dissimilar to the gaffe that cost Danny Baker his job.
No intent, but if you are deemed expendable, it will be punished severely.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
I don’t think anyone has said it was offensive, ITV called it a ‘misjudgement’ which from a serious impartial reader of the news likely has to be held to a standard above many others in broadcasting.

Still dont get what part is potentially offensive or a misjudgement :shrug:

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Even though he was quoting Shakespeare, you just can’t say those sort of things any more.

I finding myself more annoyed with those expressing the outrage. The default response is that every white person who doesn’t agree with them is racist. Cf Lawrence Fox or the criticism of Meghan Markle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Of course you should be able to, it's liberal PC madness that quoting Shakespeare and having done so before (with a white man) is now deemed racist because it's distorted out of context.

Anybody who differentiates with intent against any person because of skin colour, should rightly be called out and severely sanctioned. Quoting Shakespeare is not racism, it's playing the race card, which is so often used as a weapon of choice by Liberal society. Brexiteers are all racists, those critical of Meghan Markle are just racist. I'm sure most brexiteers or anti royalists are not racist and would always stand against real prejudice.

Would Sir David Attenborough be a racist if he mentioned apes (in the context to his programme) to a person who was not of white skin colour?

If Alistair Stewart was using a Shakespearean reference he'd used before without any context to another humans skin (as he suggests) he should stand his ground when that's thrown back as rasicm.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven

"But man, proud man,

I quoted it in my local pub, the landlord was far from happy, he shouted " Get out you're bard " :smile:

SollysLeftFoot

Mar 17, 2019
Bitchin' in Hitchin
Weaponised outrage, i'm afraid it's more frequent than you think. I've personally seen others and myself been accused of racism if someone doesn't like what I've said (often with out any reference to race or culture). I was once accused of being racist for saying Kenya's on the top of my list of countries to visit. I was subsequently accused of wanting to relive the empire and I wouldn't go there for the culture..

I don't think there's a case of "Misjudgment or discrete racism" here at all, I think it's a case of someone wanting to be outrage for the sake of being outraged.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Why on earth did he even bother with a Twitter account ?

No good comes of anti-social media if you are in the public eye.

He should have had a professional run his account for him if he really had to have one.

As for the tweet ? Absolute nonsense to suggest any racism.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Imagine I'm having a Twitter spat with Rachel Riley and the math wizz is getting a bit pearl clutchy. I consider responding with a Maud Flanders "won't somebody think of the children" or maybe to go high brow with a bit of Merchant of Venice;
"Justice, the law, my ducats, and my daughter!"

What would be the sensible choice here?

I'm not saying Stewart is racist or deserves to be let go but he didn't really think it through, did he?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here