Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Tariq Lamptey

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
For a guy with 3(?) First team appearances?

Sadly yes, if they don't release him (when wages would go mental anyway) then being English and an England youngster's player, if we're in the PL and want to buy him they won't have any shortage of clubs offering 6M with clauses.

I hate it and the way football's gone but if any fee is paid without 50% sell on type clauses then you're gonna have to pay over the odds I expect. Especially in January.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
He doesn't seem like the type who'd come for 1M and sit in the reserves for 3 years. If you're paying 6M for him he has to play some games and be a first team squad player. That instantly makes clubs want to insert clauses or a bidding war.

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
Why would he be much more than 6m?! He has 5 months left on his contract where tribunal fee would be about that. Maybe 7-8 million.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
He is going nowhere, this is all his agents doing, trying to get the best contract he can during negotiations. He has been with Chelsea ever since he was seven, he’s not going to throw his toys out the pram after a first team appearance and especially since in Lampard they have a manager willing to give development players a chance. If he does leave unfortunately Palace are front runners with a former England manager and the young lad wanting to stay in London.

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
He is going nowhere, this is all his agents doing, trying to get the best contract he can during negotiations. He has been with Chelsea ever since he was seven, he’s not going to throw his toys out the pram after a first team appearance and especially since in Lampard they have a manager willing to give development players a chance. If he does leave unfortunately Palace are front runners with a former England manager and the young lad wanting to stay in London.

Erm you do realise they have Reece James ? This guy won’t ever play unless he’s injured.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
So we’re interested in a player other clubs are also interested in but we won’t pay the asking price?

Unlikely to be coming here then.

Unless he can slot straight in it’s no big deal

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Erm you do realise they have Reece James ? This guy won’t ever play unless he’s injured.

Yep, and he would probably still end up staying with his boyhood club, and believe it or not a team in a relegation scrap just might not be that much of an alluring opportunity.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
This is the sort of player you should look at in a Summer Transfer Window.

When you are on the fringes of a relegation battle. That's not the time to try and incorporate a young 20 year old with limited first team experience at PL level into the starting line up that is making so many mistakes defensively.

Everyone assumes that every youngster at Chelsea is a World Beater in Waiting.

Has anyone ever seen him ?

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham

When you are on the fringes of a relegation battle. That's not the time to try and incorporate a young 20 year old with limited first team experience at PL level into the starting line up that is making so many mistakes defensively.

Played against Arsenal this season looks about 12 rapid and skilful.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003

Saw him in his debut against Arsenal and he looks a positive player, likes to get forward and very quick, tiny though, he'll be the Muggsy Bogues of the Premier League if he's any good.

Normally I'd agree about waiting till the summer, but Lamptey is out of contract at the end of the season. Clearly we are trying to test Chelsea's resolve and if they are willing to risk losing him for either a tribunal fee in the summer (or for nothing if someone like Lille get him). I imagine a lot more clubs could become interested once he's out of contract, so getting in early might work in our favour this time.

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
There was a tweet about a week ago by some bloke who mentioned his source said we were close to signing him and that (crucially) he wanted to come here.

Yes he is pretty small but it depends whether he gets knocked off the ball easily? He could be the next Paul Parker for all we know

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
There was a tweet about a week ago by some bloke who mentioned his source said we were close to signing him and that (crucially) he wanted to come here.

Yup. Don’t buy the ‘must stay in London so Palace are favourites’ line.

He’ll be just down the road from the Capital but our faculties and set-up could not be more different from those at Palace. Budget or 5 Star, it’s a no brainer.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Apparently has 5 offers on the table, Sheff Utd and Palace also linked.
Will he get first team football here or be stuck in the U-23s for a couple of years making the odd cup appearance like he is now at Chelsea?
Judging by clubs being also linked to Lille and AC Milan and also comments by Chelsea fans, looks like he has potential but like Taylor Richards who also left City with rave reviews, how close are they to first team football?

Don't want to hijack this thread, but Taylor Richards, burst onto the scene when he starred, & scored, in that pre-season win at Crawley, and all has gone quiet since.

Still performing well for the Under 23's presumably?

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Yup. Don’t buy the ‘must stay in London so Palace are favourites’ line.

He’ll be just down the road from the Capital but our faculties and set-up could not be more different from those at Palace. Budget or 5 Star, it’s a no brainer.

Premier League more or less Guaranteed next season/ Top half Ligue 1 side or relegation scrap and Championship football....

I think I know the two main choices there that will swing it for a young ambitious footballer.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Not sure I'm on board with throwing money at kids at bigger clubs in the hope they come good. I hope we don't perish due to a surfeit of Lampteys.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here