Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Tariq Lamptey

Richy_Seagull

Oct 7, 2003
Brighton
He's a teenager on £20K a week, FFS, and contracted until 2023, apparently. Yes, I'm sure he'll get a pay rise at some time during that period, but do we really need to give him one already?

Simply put - yes.

Whether you like it or not tieing down our best young talent on long term deals that reflect their status in the squad is a must if we are going to evolve.

He seems like a very level headed bloke, and in the long run will only be for the benefit of the club when the bigger teams come in for him.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
He's a teenager on £20K a week, FFS, and contracted until 2023, apparently. Yes, I'm sure he'll get a pay rise at some time during that period, but do we really need to give him one already?

I would imagine he will be happy knowing he is an integral part of the team, and maybe he will repay our faith in him should another team come knocking. Plus any release clause and add ons can be ironed out with this interest from the European Champions and to gain a maximum fee should he want to go.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

We don't have to but if we want to keep him then maybe yes. We signed him cheap and he's proved his worth.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London

Let's be serious here for a second, Reece James, who is less than a year older, is on £100k a week. Tariq left Chelsea despite knowing that if he stayed and signed the contract that was on offer, he'd probably be in line to earn similar. He also turned down a pre-contract offer from at least one other team currently in the Europa League (Lille OSC) in favour of a move to us. £20k a week is a bargain and with some of Europe's elite sniffing around, the club probably want to keep a hold of him for as long as possible. In short, players are assets and by offering a new deal we are protecting our asset for as long as possible.

If it was me, and I moved to a different job that paid well but not outstandingly and then a year later a similar job at the best company was offered to me at 5 X the wages, I would have no intention of staying regardless of how nice the original employers were.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Have to ? No, not at all. Does it make sense to ? Obviously - especially ahead of the January transfer window when we'll almost certainly get enquiries and he'll be told by his agent and others that a move will get him 3x his current wage at least.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
It’s right to give Tariq a new deal.

This is the football business, it’s not like most normal careers. When he signed, I suspect the trajectory planned was a little slower, bed him in some games, have him be on the bench from time to time.

As it is however. He has exploded into the PL and utterly nailed down a first team slot. And justifiably so.

So he deserves a deal befitting of a guaranteed first teamer. And by doing so we no doubt get a bit more security on our contract with him. Win win for all.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Simply put - yes.

Whether you like it or not tieing down our best young talent on long term deals that reflect their status in the squad is a must if we are going to evolve.

He seems like a very level headed bloke, and in the long run will only be for the benefit of the club when the bigger teams come in for him.

Within the parameters of PL wages, there's no other option as you explain, but implicit (rather than explicit) in your response is that Lamptey signing a new deal will not only be about increasing his wages, but extending his contract which will ramp up his transfer value.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Silly booking again in an area where opposition can’t hurt us and at an important stage of the match. Got to be careful 2nd half now.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Silly booking again in an area where opposition can’t hurt us and at an important stage of the match. Got to be careful 2nd half now.

I’m still angry about the non assist in FPL (I get it) and now this!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
If you read this, congratulations on your first Premier League goal , Tariq, and another Man of the Match performance.

You’re going to be a massive star.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
There will be big bids for him come the end of the season. To have any chance of seeing him in the flesh playing at the Amex we need to avoid relegation

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
There will be big bids for him come the end of the season. To have any chance of seeing him in the flesh playing at the Amex we need to avoid relegation

I wonder if we'll be able to keep him anyway even if we do stay up, he is an unbelievable talent. I can't think of many better players from any team in the premier league, in any position, this season to be honest.

At first I understood why he left Chelsea as I think James is a really impressive right back but the more I watch him and Lamptey, I think Chelsea made a huge mistake letting him go as Lamptey is just a better player. He will be England's right back ahead all of the competition before too long.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here