Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] QR Codes, does anyone use them?

• Thread starter Deleted member 2719
  • Start date

D

Deleted member 2719

Being a more mature sort of person and a hunter-gatherer type, I have never used these codes.

What are the pros and cons?

Do they have a shelf life?

Should I get a tattoo?

:shrug:

Dunk&Disorderly

Mar 29, 2019
Brighton
I showed up a few years ago for a graduate digital marketing agency role, with a QR code on my CV that linked to my LinkedIn profile and they said to each other 'huh, remember these' and sniggered. I felt like a ****.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I guess I might use them, or at least consider it - if I had the foggiest idea what they were! - or even if I'd ever heard of them!

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
I showed up a few years ago for a graduate digital marketing agency role, with a QR code on my CV that linked to my LinkedIn profile and they said to each other 'huh, remember these' and sniggered. I felt like a ****.

Ironically, out of all the people in the room I'd argue that you were the only person who was not a ****

D

Deleted member 2719

I paid someone about £300 to write my CV once and they put my Linkedin profile QR code on it too.

It didn't work either, I probably would have been better off browning my nose up and saying, I am good at saying yes!

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Yeah I have used them and they can be useful.

My work has QR codes on the doors to the meeting & training rooms which link to the rooms diary so you can quickly how long a room is free for or if you've got the right venue.

Think the problem when they first came out is most phones needed an extra app to scan them and most people hadn't installed those apps so they were quickly considered useless.

D

Deleted member 2719

My work has QR codes on the doors to the meeting & training rooms which link to the rooms diary so you can quickly how long a room is free for or if you've got the right venue.

Think the problem when they first came out is most phones needed an extra app to scan them and most people hadn't installed those apps so they were quickly considered useless.

My phone never had the app and it's only a year old!

So what age group do you think the users are in?

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
My phone never had the app and it's only a year old!

So what age group do you think the users are in?

No idea about age groups. Think the trouble was marketers thought "this is great, we'll put QR codes in adverts and everyone will scan them" but trouble is most people couldn't give a monkey's about adverts. Unless you have specific reason to zap a QR code I doubt you ever will.

As an aside my Android phone is 2 or 3 yers old and just opening the camera up and pointing it at a QR code it reads it.

D

Deleted member 2719

No idea about age groups. Think the trouble was marketers thought "this is great, we'll put QR codes in adverts and everyone will scan them" but trouble is most people couldn't give a monkey's about adverts. Unless you have specific reason to zap a QR code I doubt you ever will.

As an aside my Android phone is 2 or 3 yers old and just opening the camera up and pointing it at a QR code it reads it.

Thanks for that just opened my phone up and it does the same!

So if you could coax a fox into the hen house, you may get some action with QR code as so to speak?

Like, 'you scan me, and I will scan you'!

Albion in the north

Jul 13, 2012
Ooop North
About 10 years ago I set up one of those "fresh food in a box" businesses and used QR codes on the boxes. The recipient would scan the code and a video recipe made with the boxes contents would appear. Dont think it was used that much.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Vodafone use them on their broadband routers for rapid wifi connectivity. Shame the routers are absolute rubbish.

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill

But a bar code would do the same thing wouldn't it?

The only time I use a QR code is to check a lottery ticket. Otherwise I wouldn't bother with them at all either.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Cineworld use them for digital tickets. Brighton and Hove Buses use them, both on the app and on paper tickets. Picturehouse have them on their digital tickets, but no one has ever scanned them when I've gone.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I did some work at Exeter University around 8 years ago, we put up temporary signs for 3 years all around the development with QR codes linking to a webpage explaining about the works. At the end of the project I was told by the University IT bods that they’d been used maybe 10 times during the entire project.

Vodafone use them on their broadband routers for rapid wifi connectivity. Shame the routers are absolute rubbish.
Strange, I’ve been with Vodafone for the past 18 months, switched from BT, can’t fault the Vodafone service or router at all. Had Sky also previously, and to be fair the Vodafone one has been the most reliable out of all of them. All of them have poor customer service but theirs is by no means the worst.
:shrug:

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I use them for setting up 2FA on a few sites, but not much else apart from that.

They have their uses, but only for those in particular industries/areas I think.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
Nope - I have never once used a QR code, and I like to think of myself as 'down with the tech' to a degree... A great idea by some guy in a black roll-neck with a beard and some clear-lensed Hugo Boss glasses no doubt.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
..........and I just got the app. Do you think there will be some in China? I heard traveling to China was really cheap now.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Capture.PNG

scan this

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here