Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Are we guilty of starting the chant, that has now hit the headlines in Huddersfield.....

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
We haven’t had to lately because as far as I know the gay thing hasn’t been sung at us this season, certainly not at home games.

Maybe when Palace comes...

I’d say still sing it. It’s a good riposte and if it offends anyone... well, if they want to take offence that’s their choice. It’s patently not meant to give offence.

As for the body image aspect. It’s a shame that such a superficial thing as physical appearance is treated so seriously and causes such anguish. It doesn’t reflect well on our society, but it’s not a new phenomenon. Ancient Greek statues of 3000 years ago were of attractive people. And before anyone says it, small willies were seen as desirable in those days, with big ones being used as a way to mock people, saying they’re no better than animals.

Born too late, that’s my trouble. Bah! :annoyed:

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
NEITHER is the correct answer. We always sang that. Long before fake social media outrage was ever invented.

:thumbsup: quite so.

As pointed out I have no recollection of us being subject to homophobic chanting at home games this season and therefore we haven't sung "our song" in response. But if the homophobic chants start up again, I'll be singing our riposte with great gusto as I have always done.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
People from Yorkshire in "are ****wits" shocker

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
So gay men are now receiving comments that women have had to put up with for centuries. I don't think there is anything wrong with our song in response to homophobic abuse.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I did enjoy the last season at Highfield Road.

Coventry's 'top boyz' off to the right giving it plenty.
We sing the customary reposts.
They stood in silence.

Then I could actually see...

...listen...

...think...

...listen...

...think some more...

...finally the penny dropped and they went nuts.

Bless them.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
People from Yorkshire in "are ****wits" shocker

Oi. Shut it you soft southern shandy drinking blouse wearing poof

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
My dad lays claim to having started it up at Peterborough in response to the usual “we can see you holding hands” and I’ve always taken it as a positive in support of our brothers or sisters or, erm, them/they who choose to live their life their way in this wonderful of democracy of ours.

In short we shouldn’t stop singing it because it forces the issue IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
So gay men are now receiving comments that women have had to put up with for centuries. I don't think there is anything wrong with our song in response to homophobic abuse.

Trying to get my head round this.

Are you saying that because women have had to “put up with” comments about their appearance gay men should as well?

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
Trying to get my head round this.

Are you saying that because women have had to “put up with” comments about their appearance gay men should as well?

No not at all, but men think it's OK to talk to about women's appearance and if women get annoyed they are being irrational according to the said men. You can read it on here all the time, wags of players threads, the YYNNN of pictures on the women's football team. All I am saying is that gay men now are getting the same treatment. I did not say it was right.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Huddersfield, Lincoln? **** me, they’ll have gays in Stoke next.

ConfusedGloryHunter

He/him/his/that muppet
Jul 6, 2011
It is all about context. When sung as a comic response to homophobic chants then it is fine in my book, as being too ugly to be gay is ridiculous and therefore funny. When said to an individual gay person who is not classically attractive then it is just bullying.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
A person who is not classically attractive

Oh I like that one “classically attractive” so much wiggle room in that.

If the gentleman in question was told sorry you can’t come in and your too ugly to be gay, are they (whoever said it) insinuating all straight people are ugly and only pretty/handsome people are gay ?

I worry about where all this will lead, pretty soon we won’t be able to sing my favourite song at Selhurst Park
“You dirty northern bastards”

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
“.................”

(That’s the sound of silence. Do not (NOT!) have an opinion of any kind on race, religion, gender, nationality or colour. Especially if you’re straight, Christian, male, English and WHITE! It’s 2020, and you’re only a twit away from witness protection, the latest member being Alastair Stewart tonight...

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
We haven’t had to lately because as far as I know the gay thing hasn’t been sung at us this season, certainly not at home games.

Maybe when Palace comes...

I’d say still sing it. It’s a good riposte and if it offends anyone... well, if they want to take offence that’s their choice. It’s patently not meant to give offence.

As for the body image aspect. It’s a shame that such a superficial thing as physical appearance is treated so seriously and causes such anguish. It doesn’t reflect well on our society, but it’s not a new phenomenon. Ancient Greek statues of 3000 years ago were of attractive people. And before anyone says it, small willies were seen as desirable in those days, with big ones being used as a way to mock people, saying they’re no better than animals.

Born too late, that’s my trouble. Bah! :annoyed:

Is that a good thing when gay ridiculing becomes old and passe'?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here