Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Jack Wings from Leon

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
A few beers after work in London yesterday and a quick stop off at Leon London Bridge to onboard some fuel. Going with the current trend for all things vegan, I decided to sample the Jack Wings. A warts and all review follows;

Jack Wings - the idea is that this is a vegan replacement for chicken wings. In all honesty these are probably midway on the spectrum between chicken wings and bodyform wings. That is to say there is no way you could ever imagine you were eating a chicken wing, whilst tucking into this jack fruit delicacy.

Jackfruit is a "healthy" meat substitute and these things are actually quite pleasant to eat. The fruits stringy texture mimics meat and takes on the flavour of whatever it is cooked with. A breakdown of the Leon version is included below.

I have to say, I had no trouble eating these and I would probably favour them over chicken nuggets (which I never eat). They didn't really fill me up probably because they don't pack much in terms of protein.

So what is the point? If you want to avoid meat and need something on the go, these work.

If you don't follow this stuff more about jackfruit below;

https://foodrevolution.org/blog/what-is-jackfruit/

Lots of positives called out in this article, so for balance the negatives.

1 A UK diet based on tropical fruits is not going to save the planet.
2 The meat substitute uses unripe fruit. All the nutrition information, seems to focus on ripe fruit.
3 Take a look at the ingredients list below and consider making your own. As I mentioned these did not make a convincing substitute for chicken wings. I am going to source some tinned stuff and see how a pulled pork substitute fairs.

Jack Wings

gluten-free
vegan

Ingredients

Jackfruit, Rice Milk (Water, Rice, Sunflower Oil, Calcium Phosphate, Stabiliser (E418), Sea Salt], Water, Rice Flour, Gram Flour, Coconut Based alternative to Cheddar (Water, Coconut Oil, Modified Starch, Starch, Sea Salt, Flavourings, Preservative (...
Nutritional information
Energy (kcal) per portion 304
Protein (Grams) per portion 4
Carbohydrate 38
Carbs of which sugar (Grams) per portion 2
Fat (Grams) per portion 14
Saturated fat (Grams) per portion 3
Mono-unsaturated fat (Grams) per portion 5
Poly-unsaturated (Grams) per portion 6
Salt (Grams) per portion 1.6
Total portion weight (Grams) 155
Fibre (Grams) 4

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Not a French striker with an exotic English (Australian) name.

#Disappointed.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Not a French striker with an exotic English (Australian) name.

#Disappointed.

THIS.

Equally as disappointing as the product in question.

Tried them a few weeks ago, a few comments:

Stop making veggie or vegan options to mimic their meat equivalents. Ridiculous notion.

They were dry, powdery and flavourless.

The less said about the accompanying vegan alioli the better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I too thought this was signing rumour and thought it an oddly British sounding name for a foreigner from the thread title :shrug:

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I had some BBQ Jackfruit from the salad bar at the local Morrisons not long ago, that was quite tasty. Never had it on its own yet though.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
North Stand CHEF :drool:

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
The Joker on Preston Circus do Jackfruit wings with a sugar cane bone, which is a nice touch. £12 for 4 of them though! I'll stick with the chicken.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
To be fair for the people moaning they thought it might be a transfer thread, a jack fruit might still get more minutes for a Potter side than Glenn Murray.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
The vegan kitchen at the hope and ruin use jackfruit as an alternative for pulled pork. I like the food at the hope and ruin, especially their vegan kebab.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
To be honest they seemed more like a cheese croquette to me. Edible but there’s much better vegan food out there. The KFC burger was particularly good.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here