Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Huawei - Our Country Right Or Wrong?

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
I want to know what they are serving:

supper.jpg

Attachments

• supper.jpg
    supper.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 115

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
sensible comment on the issue.

its absurd how the debate is framed, as if the government is giving Huawei access to 5G. this merely allows them licence to be used, up to the network operators whether they do. the security angle ignores they have >20% market share in 4G networks, so already widely deployed. US is wetting themselves that US providers wont get into the market, indirectly raising all sorts of questions about just how secure networks are (think about it...)

this decision is sensible, allow Huewai into the transmitters and edge devices, where they have technical/cost advantages, while not in the core network where they probably arent used anyway. keeps Chinese happy, keeps US happish, lets the networks get on with deploying.

meanwhile the question do we need 5G is missed.

Agreed. Huawei has largely been used for the RAN in the 4G/5G space which typically have no direct internet access. The ‘risk’ would be in the core but that has not happened nor been approved. Let’s not forget what Edward Snowden leaked regarding US manufacturers and the ‘backdoors’ hardcoded. At this stage there is more evidence of backdoors in US manufacturers than Chinese..

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
What's fun about this decision is that people like IDS and Liam Fox have been part this Tory government (if not in cabinet at all times), whilst they did absolutely **** all to develop our own tecnhnology, and are now crying because we have to use Huawei because they are the biggest and cheapest provider. Why have we not been getting together (I don't know, with EU partners or what the US) to avoid this situation I don't know.

Or am I being a bit simple like usual?

Possible government defeat on the horizon.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
What's fun about this decision is that people like IDS and Liam Fox have been part this Tory government (if not in cabinet at all times), whilst they did absolutely **** all to develop our own tecnhnology, and are now crying because we have to use Huawei because they are the biggest and cheapest provider. Why have we not been getting together (I don't know, with EU partners or what the US) to avoid this situation I don't know.

Possible government defeat on the horizon.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marconi_Company - this was the UKs offering in this space. Unfortunately when broadband was taking off it became very price driven and ultimately BT started to invest heavily in Huawei because it had a strong track record and it was cheap.

Huawei have been clever and it has taken them 20 years to get to this point and unfortunately we're hooked on it. If we banned Huawei and had to pay 30-50% more to deal with the other players - US or Nordic that cost will come down to the consumer.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

there's not really a situation, its just normal market in novel tech, someone gets there first or in this case cheaper. for previous generations its been Ericsson or Nokia, as far as i can tell Huawei beat the competition this time by simply committing to development and delivering, while others took wait and see approach, because the business case is thin. in 2-3 years it wont be an issue.

not sure there can be any defeat, the matter is giving a licence and doesn't go through parliament.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
not sure there can be any defeat, the matter is giving a licence and doesn't go through parliament.

Gaurdian

Boris Johnson is now facing the threat of his first Commons rebellion since the general election, over his decision to let the Chinese firm Huawei play a role in building the UK’s 5G infrastructure. Conservative MPs expressed their concerns in the Commons yesterday and, although they were not quite as outspoken as some were when the same topic was discussed on Monday, talk of a revolt is firming up. The government announced yesterday that it plans to legislate to ensure that “high risk vendors” (ie, Huawei) can only run 35% of the 5G network. Legislation means votes, and voting means backbenchers have leverage (because the main opposition parties, Labour and the SNP, are also very critical of this decision on national security grounds). On Newsnight last night Sir Iain Duncan Smith, the former Conservative party leader, said that there would have to be “modification” to the government’s plans and that the 35% threshold was too high.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003

fair enough. would be a queer situation though if legislation gets defeated, and the government could grant licence without the constraints suggested.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I'm a bit fick on these things, but I don't really understand this "35% threshold" malarky. Thats still a fairly sizeable chunk, and surely if Huawei have their foot in the door to that extent, its not going to be all that difficult for their tech bods to harvest data we'd rather they didn't have access to.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
I'm a bit fick on these things, but I don't really understand this "35% threshold" malarky. Thats still a fairly sizeable chunk, and surely if Huawei have their foot in the door to that extent, its not going to be all that difficult for their tech bods to harvest data we'd rather they didn't have access to.

question is what data can they harvest? they'll know a device was in an approximate location and thats about it*, everything else is encrypted. 35% is slightly more than their existing market share for 4G, and probably sensible to limit any major supplier in infrastructure.

* if we assume network engineers allow traffic forwarded outside the network to third party.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Trump is having a trade war with China so is trying to block Huawei and pretending it's a security issue. I have a Huawei phone so can't be that fussed about it I guess :)

So do I and President XI already counts how many steps I take every day. A slippery slope I tells ya.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

Albion Prem

Nov 23, 2018
Lindfield
Agreed. Huawei has largely been used for the RAN in the 4G/5G space which typically have no direct internet access. The ‘risk’ would be in the core but that has not happened nor been approved. Let’s not forget what Edward Snowden leaked regarding US manufacturers and the ‘backdoors’ hardcoded. At this stage there is more evidence of backdoors in US manufacturers than Chinese..

It has not happened YET!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
I have to confess I have a very small vested interest in this. So make what you will of my comments.

It is partially about trade wars, but certainly not all. They have “acquired” a lot of knowledge over the years.

In general you need to be careful what you wish for. They are cheap “for now” let’s revisit once we have sold the Crown Jewels off to them.......
There are Several non American/Chinese companies that supply this 5g infrastructure as well. They cant normally do it as cheaply as Huawei.

Personally I don’t trust them one bit. That said, I don’t Trust Trump one bit either. Or should that be byte :smile:

I used to work for a big pharma company, and spent some time in China in mid 90's. Conditions of our doing business with them, required the use of high tech analysis equipment to test the drugs we were wanting to sell there through "Joint Ventures". All of this equipment was subsequently "lost"? Sub plot and discussions with my Chinese counterparts, it was clear the state was stealing the technology. After a brief tour of a state pharma facility, it was clear they were still in the 1950's when we were in 1995.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
If it makes Ian Duncan Smith more angry I say give Huawei even more business.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I have to confess I have a very small vested interest in this. So make what you will of my comments.

It is partially about trade wars, but certainly not all. They have “acquired” a lot of knowledge over the years.

In general you need to be careful what you wish for. They are cheap “for now” let’s revisit once we have sold the Crown Jewels off to them.......
There are Several non American/Chinese companies that supply this 5g infrastructure as well. They cant normally do it as cheaply as Huawei.

Personally I don’t trust them one bit. That said, I don’t Trust Trump one bit either. Or should that be byte :smile:

The advantage of going with Trump is that he will only be there for a max of 4 more years whereas the communist party will be there for decades. The Chinese National Intelligence Law of 2017 means Huawei are obligated to help the state security services when required!!!

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
The advantage of going with Trump is that he will only be there for a max of 4 more years whereas the communist party will be there for decades. The Chinese National Intelligence Law of 2017 means Huawei are obligated to help the state security services when required!!!

restricted to the radio network there is nothing they can do to help the state security services. should be far more concerned with sales of Huawei (and other Chinese brand) handsets with potentially compromised encryption. not a dicky bird mentioned about this.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
restricted to the radio network there is nothing they can do to help the state security services. should be far more concerned with sales of Huawei (and other Chinese brand) handsets with potentially compromised encryption. not a dicky bird mentioned about this.

So you think that was all they were pitching for?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here