Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Interesting Summary of the Olympic Stadium and what it’s done to West Ham

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
Highbury, The Boleyn, two grounds full of character traded for something much less. The yanks get it right with their modern build but retro look baseball stadiums.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
My favourite kind of football writing. Captures the emotion, the sentiment, the belonging.

It makes you realise how it's the same for everyone regardless of which team they support. Or at least those who aren't 'plastics'.

I like West ham because they are an 'old school' club. Not been to the new stadium. I'm not normally influenced by such thoughts as the article in isolation. But I'm happily put off the idea of going there.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Football Weekly today were talking about West Ham's facilities.

To paraphrase the conversation the general point being made was:-

'West Ham's training facilities are worse than palace's' :ohmy:

Moyes was only allowed to appoint 1 (one) assistant.
The appointment of Stuart Pearce was blocked by the Dildo's because he has been less than flattering about them on the radio.
The have no recruitment department or scouting network.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away

The appointment of Stuart Pearce was blocked by the Dildo's because he has been less than flattering about them on the radio.

Yet they have a 21 yo full England (and Ireland) international

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The Next Level and the London Stadium Match Day Experience

So, you travel by train to the OS, or London Stadium, call it what you will, and you get out at Stratford or maybe one of the smaller stations nearby.

If Stratford, you go along with the masses and pass through a sanitised shopping centre that really doesn’t want you in there. You take the exit and go along the concrete concourse towards the big stadium you see ahead. It’s your stadium, it’s our stadium, but where’s the claret & blue?
The crowd around you gets bigger the nearer you get and there might be an occasional shout here and there “Come on You Irons”. There’s no stalls, no merchandise, no programme sellers, no fast food, nothing you normally get on the way from a station to a game on match days elsewhere. It’s a home game, but if feels like an away day, no matter how many times you have done it.

If you’ve come from a smaller station, Bromley-By-Bow maybe, you walk almost alone crossing main roads as you go. The crowd builds a little, but not much. You get within sight of the ground, you are less than five minutes away, but it’s like you’re intruding on someone else’s game. It’s almost as if you are sneaking in after the kick off – so bare are the streets as you pass Pudding Mill Lane. Up the back, across the Greenway, and finally you mix and mingle as you approach the club shop – the only place you see where they are selling something football related on the day.
In you go, up those concrete and steel steps, all nice and neat and grey and silver. There’s no West Ham, no claret & blue, nothing making you feel at home. After the scaffolding and tarpaulin covered gaps, you see “Welcome to the London Stadium” time and time again. Maybe a beer in the bar – a little better, a splash of colour here and there, and then into the great big soulless bowl we now pretend is home. Take your white plastic seat and think to yourself the view don’t seem too bad. It’s deceiving though. You can see what’s going on, you even try to compare it with where you were in the Boleyn Ground. Doesn’t seem too bad – but human memory is notoriously myopic. You seem to have forgotten the view experienced by those down the front is absolutely nothing like what it was. No one is near the pitch. The game is going on before you realise you can’t hear the thud of the leather or smell the freshly cut grass. You can’t hear the players anymore, the refs whistle is barely audible. Your eyes drift to the giant tv screens where you see replays of what’s going on. You sometimes find yourself watching the screen rather than the game.

You are so far from the singing, you can only recognise Bubbles. Any new ditty barely gets a whimper and cannot make the rounds because only a few are singing. The happy clap has taken over simply because it can be heard and is easier to join in. You listen to the away support “You sold your soul for this ****-hole”. You don’t disagree with this sentiment.

You watch a game you do not feel a part of. You know you can shout as much as you like and no one on that pitch will hear you. The players are pretty small on the far side, the manager looks pretty isolated out there. You soon realise the players are not really getting a lift from the crowd. You know you are owned by people who do not understand you, your club, or your heritage.

When it’s all over, you move away with the masses. If Stratford, they follow you onto each train. It’s jam packed rush hour all over again. If elsewhere, you have beaten the crowd and soon find yourself in isolation once more. You are as detached from the club as you are from the pitch.

They say no man is an island. West Ham United is that no man right now. And there is your match day experience. The longer you follow, the more you become a beggar on the street of forlorn hope.

Despite modern collective amnesia, you remember walking the streets of East Ham. You remember going to and fro amongst your own. You remember the buzz when your bus went over the iron bridge at Canning Town and you saw the flood lights appearing on the horizon – even better when lit up for night games. The buzz when your train arrived at Upton Park and you got off and saw the signs “Alight here for West Ham United Football Ground”. The buzz when you parked your car down the side streets of East Ham and found yourself amongst your own going towards the ground. The endless hot dog and burger vans, street cafes, pie ‘n mash, fish ‘n chips. The multitude of West Ham pubs to meet up with your mates. The programme sellers, the fanzine sellers hollering out their wares. The stalls selling all sorts of football coloured merchandise, scarves, rosettes, badges. You passed by houses that have stood and seen the match day masses coming and going for a hundred years. You were amongst your own. You were West Ham. You were claret and blue. It was all around you.

You made your way into your favourite, lucky turnstile. Everything was painted claret and blue. You took up your seat, claret and blue was everywhere you looked. There was no mistaking it – you were at Upton Park in the Boleyn Ground.

You know we didn’t win much. But that didn’t stop you going. You knew it was something deeper – much, much deeper. You knew in your heart it wasn’t about winning. At the end of the day, it was you, your family, your mates, your life, your story, the feeling of belonging -the simply being there.

For those of us that felt this, for those of us that were as one, you know deep down this is what it was all about. There is no other level. There never was. There would never be a level above the glorious sixties - the moments we discovered ourselves under those misty lights on winter nights. There would never be another level above the European nights of 1976. There would never be another level above the coming together at Villa Park in April 1991. There would never be another level above the Ipswich play-off night or the last game at the Boleyn in May 2016. It ended there.

The soul of West Ham United was destroyed in the dust of destruction at Upton Park. The con-men responsible for the destruction are still at the helm today, churning out the same old razzle-dazzle nonsense knowing full well there is a mug born every day.

And that is West Ham London under Sullivan, Gold and Brady. A trio that cares little about anything other than sucking the last quid from your pocket. They need to go, and one day they will. Fear not where we will be when that day comes - bring it on.

But it is not about them. It never was. Regardless of who pulled the strings, at the end of the day it was all about us. It was always us. We had something special, the players felt it, the club felt it. We had each other inside our old home. We were at one with the Boleyn. We can never be at one with the London Stadium. This is a tough call – but at the end of the day there is only one solution. Either the stadium goes, or we do.

What a stunning post.

I loved Upton Park, always one of my favourite away trips. On Saturday, I will see for the first time what they swapped it for. It looks shite on TV, and I'm prepared for a shite view a mile back from the pitch. Luckily for me though, I'm not stuck with it. Thank god (and Tony) for the Amex.

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
The London Stadium is not a football ground. I can’t think of a worse ground in the Premier League (not even Selhurst) or for that matter in the next few divisions. I know a West Ham who’s given up his season ticket because he just didn’t enjoy going anymore.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Arsene Wenger was surprisingly candid earlier this month, about the Highbury to Emirates move:

He told beIN Sports (h/t Goal's James Westwood):

"I moved from Highbury, which was similar to Anfield, but there was a soul in the stadium.

"We built a new stadium but we never found our soul—we left our soul at Highbury. We could never recreate it for security reasons.

"The distance from the pitch to the stand had to be bigger as we needed ambulances to come in. The inclination of the stands had to be smaller all those things together that we didn't find to recreate the atmosphere."

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
Great post. Loved Upton Park.

The Olympic Stadium is absolutely brilliant to tick off as a one-off, by the way. But I can imagine absolutely shite to go to every single bloody week.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yet they have a 21 yo full England (and Ireland) international

as opposed to lil old Brighton who only have a:-

21 year old Colombian international
21 year old Argentinian international
20 year old Romanian international.
19 year old Irish international.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo

The WHUFC academy youngsters play their home games on a junior school playground. Appalling set up.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
The Next Level and the London Stadium Match Day Experience

So, you travel by train to the OS, or London Stadium, call it what you will, and you get out at Stratford or maybe one of the smaller stations nearby.

If Stratford, you go along with the masses and pass through a sanitised shopping centre that really doesn’t want you in there. You take the exit and go along the concrete concourse towards the big stadium you see ahead. It’s your stadium, it’s our stadium, but where’s the claret & blue?
The crowd around you gets bigger the nearer you get and there might be an occasional shout here and there “Come on You Irons”. There’s no stalls, no merchandise, no programme sellers, no fast food, nothing you normally get on the way from a station to a game on match days elsewhere. It’s a home game, but if feels like an away day, no matter how many times you have done it.

If you’ve come from a smaller station, Bromley-By-Bow maybe, you walk almost alone crossing main roads as you go. The crowd builds a little, but not much. You get within sight of the ground, you are less than five minutes away, but it’s like you’re intruding on someone else’s game. It’s almost as if you are sneaking in after the kick off – so bare are the streets as you pass Pudding Mill Lane. Up the back, across the Greenway, and finally you mix and mingle as you approach the club shop – the only place you see where they are selling something football related on the day.
In you go, up those concrete and steel steps, all nice and neat and grey and silver. There’s no West Ham, no claret & blue, nothing making you feel at home. After the scaffolding and tarpaulin covered gaps, you see “Welcome to the London Stadium” time and time again. Maybe a beer in the bar – a little better, a splash of colour here and there, and then into the great big soulless bowl we now pretend is home. Take your white plastic seat and think to yourself the view don’t seem too bad. It’s deceiving though. You can see what’s going on, you even try to compare it with where you were in the Boleyn Ground. Doesn’t seem too bad – but human memory is notoriously myopic. You seem to have forgotten the view experienced by those down the front is absolutely nothing like what it was. No one is near the pitch. The game is going on before you realise you can’t hear the thud of the leather or smell the freshly cut grass. You can’t hear the players anymore, the refs whistle is barely audible. Your eyes drift to the giant tv screens where you see replays of what’s going on. You sometimes find yourself watching the screen rather than the game.

You are so far from the singing, you can only recognise Bubbles. Any new ditty barely gets a whimper and cannot make the rounds because only a few are singing. The happy clap has taken over simply because it can be heard and is easier to join in. You listen to the away support “You sold your soul for this ****-hole”. You don’t disagree with this sentiment.

You watch a game you do not feel a part of. You know you can shout as much as you like and no one on that pitch will hear you. The players are pretty small on the far side, the manager looks pretty isolated out there. You soon realise the players are not really getting a lift from the crowd. You know you are owned by people who do not understand you, your club, or your heritage.

When it’s all over, you move away with the masses. If Stratford, they follow you onto each train. It’s jam packed rush hour all over again. If elsewhere, you have beaten the crowd and soon find yourself in isolation once more. You are as detached from the club as you are from the pitch.

They say no man is an island. West Ham United is that no man right now. And there is your match day experience. The longer you follow, the more you become a beggar on the street of forlorn hope.

Despite modern collective amnesia, you remember walking the streets of East Ham. You remember going to and fro amongst your own. You remember the buzz when your bus went over the iron bridge at Canning Town and you saw the flood lights appearing on the horizon – even better when lit up for night games. The buzz when your train arrived at Upton Park and you got off and saw the signs “Alight here for West Ham United Football Ground”. The buzz when you parked your car down the side streets of East Ham and found yourself amongst your own going towards the ground. The endless hot dog and burger vans, street cafes, pie ‘n mash, fish ‘n chips. The multitude of West Ham pubs to meet up with your mates. The programme sellers, the fanzine sellers hollering out their wares. The stalls selling all sorts of football coloured merchandise, scarves, rosettes, badges. You passed by houses that have stood and seen the match day masses coming and going for a hundred years. You were amongst your own. You were West Ham. You were claret and blue. It was all around you.

You made your way into your favourite, lucky turnstile. Everything was painted claret and blue. You took up your seat, claret and blue was everywhere you looked. There was no mistaking it – you were at Upton Park in the Boleyn Ground.

You know we didn’t win much. But that didn’t stop you going. You knew it was something deeper – much, much deeper. You knew in your heart it wasn’t about winning. At the end of the day, it was you, your family, your mates, your life, your story, the feeling of belonging -the simply being there.

For those of us that felt this, for those of us that were as one, you know deep down this is what it was all about. There is no other level. There never was. There would never be a level above the glorious sixties - the moments we discovered ourselves under those misty lights on winter nights. There would never be another level above the European nights of 1976. There would never be another level above the coming together at Villa Park in April 1991. There would never be another level above the Ipswich play-off night or the last game at the Boleyn in May 2016. It ended there.

The soul of West Ham United was destroyed in the dust of destruction at Upton Park. The con-men responsible for the destruction are still at the helm today, churning out the same old razzle-dazzle nonsense knowing full well there is a mug born every day.

And that is West Ham London under Sullivan, Gold and Brady. A trio that cares little about anything other than sucking the last quid from your pocket. They need to go, and one day they will. Fear not where we will be when that day comes - bring it on.

But it is not about them. It never was. Regardless of who pulled the strings, at the end of the day it was all about us. It was always us. We had something special, the players felt it, the club felt it. We had each other inside our old home. We were at one with the Boleyn. We can never be at one with the London Stadium. This is a tough call – but at the end of the day there is only one solution. Either the stadium goes, or we do.

What a stunning post.

I loved Upton Park, always one of my favourite away trips. On Saturday, I will see for the first time what they swapped it for. It looks shite on TV, and I'm prepared for a shite view a mile back from the pitch. Luckily for me though, I'm not stuck with it. Thank god (and Tony) for the Amex.
The stadium itself is not shite, but it IS a shite football stadium. I was in the home end for our 3 nil win and it was a dreadful atmosphere.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Also I'm sure I'm remembering this correctly.
A couple of months into the season, when West Ham were 5th, the conversation was how they'd finally turned our London Stadium into their home.

I wonder what's changed, since then?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
A couple of months into the season, when West Ham were 5th, the conversation was how they'd finally turned our London Stadium into their home.

Can't say I remember that at all, but so what? It's not really about the players is it? It's about the supporters who have been shafted and have to suffer watching their football at a soulless athletics stadium so that the greedy twunts running the club can squeeze 20,000 more paying fans in.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Can't say I remember that at all, but so what? It's not really about the players is it? It's about the supporters who have been shafted and have to suffer watching their football at a soulless athletics stadium so that the greedy twunts running the club can squeeze 20,000 more paying fans in.

It was the supporters saying it.

Just as the supporters of Newcastle and Leeds are about to, (dare I say some fans of the Albion would also), sell their souls for a top 4 place.
If West Ham had stayed where they were in the table, during Autumn, they wouldn't be complaining about getting shafted out of Upton Park, now.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Arsene Wenger was surprisingly candid earlier this month, about the Highbury to Emirates move:

He told beIN Sports (h/t Goal's James Westwood):

"I moved from Highbury, which was similar to Anfield, but there was a soul in the stadium.

"We built a new stadium but we never found our soul—we left our soul at Highbury. We could never recreate it for security reasons.

"The distance from the pitch to the stand had to be bigger as we needed ambulances to come in. The inclination of the stands had to be smaller all things together that we didn't find to recreate the atmosphere."

He’s right, fans in this country have their hands tied largely by planning law plus a questionable desire by already rich owners to maximise profits I.e. they don’t care, as long as the money’s coming in which we, the eternal tap, seem to always oblige!

Anyway, great West Ham article my favourite comment was the fan when asked what’s wrong with his seat view told the club it’s facing the pitch. :clap:

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003

This is footballs problem. Loyal to the point many club-fan relationships are best described as abusive. But equally, owners know fans are hopelessly disunited on the whole...with possibly ONE exception in the entire history of the game :)

We need saving from ourselves never mind the clubs we devout more money than sense to.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I can really sympathise with them as the London Stadium is truly awful for watching football. Spurs move was miles better planned and also in the same place as for us, as we had no real home for so long unfortunately the Goldstone Ground memories all faded and we just wanted a home

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
This will be my 3rd time at the soulless bowl and I hate going there.

I feel so sorry for the Hammers fans. My mate used to go every home game, given up now. He also said that it is not the club he grew up with. Pretty sad to have heard that.

I know we won 3-0 the first time we went there but we had no idea Glenn scored, we were that far away.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here