Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Questions for the Recruitment Department

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
It’s looking like we’re not getting any additions this window. We certainly don’t seem prepared for it. If so we truly haven’t learned from last season. And some serious questions to be asked:

- Why let Andone and Locadia go without a replacement?
- Do the club really believe Maupay (Championship striker last season) and 36 year old Murray is sufficient to compete in the Premier League?
- if so, then Potter won’t even play Murray, and he won’t give Connolly a chance to play more than 1 game every few weeks. So we’re effectively pinning our goal scoring survival hopes on Maupay.

We can still stay up, don’t get it wrong. But crikey, it’s almost arrogant to assume we can stand still whilst rivals strengthen. I feel bad for Potter.

The price of being in the PL is astronomical, why are we scrimping and saving? And more importantly... what do our recruitment team do all year?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I'm really not sure which part of Tony's "we don't like doing business in the January window" is difficult to understand.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'm really not sure which part of Tony's "we don't like doing business in the January window" is difficult to understand.

?? This isn’t the same as saying the club doesn’t do business in July.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo

Which part of "we're in a relegation scrap for 3rd season in a row and desperately need a striker" is difficult to understand??

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
It’s looking like we’re not getting any additions this window. We certainly don’t seem prepared for it. If so we truly haven’t learned from last season. And some serious questions to be asked:

- Do the club really believe Maupay (Championship striker last season) and 36 year old Murray is sufficient to compete in the Premier League?
- if so, then Potter won’t even play Murray, and he won’t give Connolly a chance to play more than 1 game every few weeks. So we’re effectively pinning our goal scoring survival hopes on Maupay.

We can still stay up, don’t get it wrong. But crikey, it’s almost arrogant to assume we can stand still whilst rivals strengthen. I feel bad for Potter.

The price of being in the PL is astronomical, why are we scrimping and saving? And more importantly... what do our recruitment team do all year?

Many a team have "invested" significant money in order to stay up, and then gone down anyway. So I think we are right to be careful. I also think we could use a striker, however.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Let’s wait and see, Friday isn’t that far away, if we haven’t singed anyone by 11 o’clock Friday night, then will be the time to criticise.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I think it's proving difficult to get in anyone who is going to make a difference at a palatable price.

I wonder if they are looking at the loan market.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

I’m holding fire on this. If:

a) We sign a quality CF, as well as taking 4 or 6 points from Watford/West Ham - we’re in a good place.

b) No striker and no wins, we’re in deep :shit: .

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
I think it's proving difficult to get in anyone who is going to make a difference at a palatable price.

I wonder if they are looking at the loan market.

Fair, but this is the point. We’ve all known this window was coming, surely our Recruitment team should be prepared for this?

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven

That will bite him on the backside.

Oh and we have obviously signed Mooy so maybe he's realised by not doing business in January it may actually bite him on the backside.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The bit that goes something like “we are planning to be a top 10 prem club”

Cringeworthy at the time said, the Championship and League One is littered with clubs where owners had said the next step was Europe. It’s normal for a Board to have medium term goals, but better to keep it in-house when in the very unpredictable football business. Under promise and over deliver.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

I’m surprised nobody has thought of these questions before. I’m sure Bloom will be willing to answer them from the next imbecile at the next fans forum. Perhaps you should attend?

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
OP. I think you have to look at what the recruitment team actually do.

They are basically a very large scouting network that can make recommendations of players they've seen and provide reports on players who agents are touting to us.

Whether Tony Bloom is willing to sign off on these recommendations or not is up to him. Presumably he'll be strongly influenced by the opinions of Potter and Ashworth. But even if he is willing to sign the cheques, plenty can still go wrong. The player might not want to come to us, another club might come in, the agent might make unreasonable demands, there might be work permit issues, the player might fail the medical etc.

The recruitment team certainly don't sign off on players such as Locadia and Andone leaving. Again that would be agreed by the key people at the top of the club.

The idea that there is this faceless department within the club that is responsible for all our failures (if you regard us as failing) might meet your simplistic need to blame someone, but it doesn't recognise the complexities of dealing within the modern transfer market.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Questions for the Recruitment Department -

Are you enjoying your holiday?

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I’m surprised nobody has thought of these questions before. I’m sure Bloom will be willing to answer them from the next imbecile at the next fans forum. Perhaps you should attend?

Don't encourage him for crying out loud. It's a hard enough listen as it is

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here