Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Saudi consortium to take over Newcastle

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I still don't really understand what the Newcastle fans are so pissed off about. I don't know the man, but I've read on here that he is apparantly a shite employer who treats his workers like carp; whatever - but has he been a bad owner for Newcastle United?
He's put in a fair wedge of his money, they're in te PL and stay there reasonably comfortably, and AFAIK they're not up to their ears in debt. That sounds to me like not a bad place to be, and with not too bad an owner. If they object to his human rights policies with regard to his employees on moral grounds, how come the human rights policies of the Saudis are OK?
Are Newcastle fans, possibly, just a bit, as entitled as f***?

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Send them off to the superleague with the other ridiculous clubs. Bring some sensible rules to an English league that focus on competition and we'll run clubs for people who like football not soap opera.

There is a place for both but I would like to see them separated.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
There’s a depressing inevitably about all this and more to come. Clubs whoring themselves out to blood money or overseas best mates of criminal leaders.

Spuds and Arse will succumb one day if the price is right. Derby thought they were in 9 months ago …. every poster on ramstalk didn’t give a xxxx about EFL due diligence.

The brave new world of 51% fan ownership was a pipe-dream and fans love the current blood money buyers in any case.

This century Leicester, Wigan, Birmingham and Pompey were unlikely winners of proper trophies. See that receding into the ever distance memory.

The very fact that it has only been Leicester, Wigan, Birmingham and Pompey as unlikely winners this century is already pretty damning. As you say though, it'll soon be laughable to even contemplate a club outside of the petrostate clubs winning anything major.

Football fans and the media were up in arms over the breakaway 6 in a united fashion not seen in a very long time. Protecting our sacred pyramid, integrity. Yet the very same fans and the media are clearly absolutely fine with all that is happening with petro states taking over club after club and ever decreasing the wider competition.

PeterOut

Aug 16, 2016
From my perspective, it's not really about them - it's about us.

It is already ridiculously difficult for any team to compete with the Chelski / City style of funding. The fact that they can, and do, spend ludicrous amounts of cash hoovering up any players of any quality, sometimes just 'to stop their rivals from being able to sign that player', has a genuinely bad effect on transfer fees and wages across the entire League (and beyond into the Championship too for the may clubs desperate to get promotion).

So, yes, our current plan to home-grow large numbers of players make some sense - but at the same time, our inability to pay the wages and fees that the super-super-rich clubs can pay, means that our ability to recruit from outside of our own academy will be further limited.

Meanwhile, those who barely blink when paying £100m and more for a midfielder, just continue to accelerate away. Sad times ahead.

(BTW, I do agree with the previous comments about what an awful regime it is that is planning to buy this particular club.)

Last edited:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
The very fact that it has only been Leicester, Wigan, Birmingham and Pompey as unlikely winners this century is already pretty damning. As you say though, it'll soon be laughable to even contemplate a club outside of the petrostate clubs winning anything major.

Football fans and the media were up in arms over the breakaway 6 in a united fashion not seen in a very long time. Protecting our sacred pyramid, integrity. Yet the very same fans and the media are clearly absolutely fine with all that is happening with petro states taking over club after club and ever decreasing the wider competition.

Only 14 different teams have won it over the last 60 years and 6 of those only won it once. 46 of those titles were won by only 5 teams!

Can't stand the fact that 'countries' can buy a club but can't see how they can stop it.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
If they do take over you wouldn't want to be manager, a losing streak might end up with a free and frank discussion Khashoggi style...

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I am starting to think that a Super League is not such a bad idea. British owned and controlled clubs in their own league structure. Foreign owned or backed clubs not accepted :smile:

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
I don't know why these foreign regimes don't just set up their own league and play amongst themselves instead of stealthily taking over our league bit by bit.

Another point for the Newcastle fans. Anyone can win week in week out by chucking vaste sums of money at it. Fail, just chuck more money. There is little satisfaction in that. It is just a fake bank balance competition before a ball is even kicked. No fun.

I've long felt Tony knows this - the real joy comes from triumph without pumping in eye-watering wealth.

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I don't know why these foreign regimes don't just set up their own league and play amongst themselves instead of stealthily taking over our league bit by bit.

Another point for the Newcastle fans. Anyone can win week in week out by chucking vaste sums of money at it. Fail, just chuck more money. There is little satisfaction in that. It is just a fake bank balance competition before a ball is even kicked. No fun.

I've long felt Tony knows this - the real joy comes from triumph without pumping in eye-watering wealth.

You must be one rich *******! I would call TB’s investment in the Albion as eye watering :wink:

stingray

Jan 23, 2018
Won't happen, Amanda Stavely has been sniffing around Newcastle for years and nothing has ever happened. If they had the money the first thing you'd know about it is when the deal was SINGED and delivered like the take-overs at Chelsea and Man City

is happening

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Entitled fans with delusions of grandeur....

Belligerent owners with little regard for human rights.....

They deserve each other.

What I do not get, is talksport are all over the take over, implying Newcastle will now be one of the big four, and compete for titles and cups. Newcastle deserve a break and the fans deserve so much more....
This from the station that actively promotes BLM and various inclusive causes, they are the first to call for bans of fans who commit racist crimes. Yet do they bring up Human Rights, Beheadings, Women's rights.....
Nope.
Utter shite, they don't broadcast news, they have fat old blokes spouting nonsense, and drivel, giggling at their own jokes and glorifying a certain presenter being drunk or missing from action.

A1X

NSC Patreon
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I am starting to think that a Super League is not such a bad idea. British owned and controlled clubs in their own league structure. Foreign owned or backed clubs not accepted :smile:

"This is a local league for local teams, we'll have no trouble here..."

durrington gull

Aug 29, 2004
Worthing
Entitled fans with delusions of grandeur....

Belligerent owners with little regard for human rights.....

They deserve each other.

What I do not get, is talksport are all over the take over, implying Newcastle will now be one of the big four, and compete for titles and cups. Newcastle deserve a break and the fans deserve so much more....
This from the station that actively promotes BLM and various inclusive causes, they are the first to call for bans of fans who commit racist crimes. Yet do they bring up Human Rights, Beheadings, Women's rights.....
Nope.
Utter shite, they don't broadcast news, they have fat old blokes spouting nonsense, and drivel, giggling at their own jokes and glorifying a certain presenter being drunk or missing from action.

Tbf ive always find their fans a good bunch - knowledgeable and passionate so i dont begrudge them their days in the sun, however i hope that the Super League comes back and put all these foreign owned billionaire clubs into one league and let them get on with it.............................

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
"This is a local league for local teams, we'll have no trouble here..."

I wasn’t thinking of Whitehawk, Moulsecoomb and Crawley when I made the suggestion :lolol:

Can you imagine the trouble though……?

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Rumours circulating that the new owners want to bring Keegan back home. Unfinished business.

Releasing this rumour surely just a way of getting the fans back onside. I'd be very surprised if they did. They'll be spending big money and will want a more modern manager.

Brucey must have a big smile on his face today. That pay off he's been waiting for is a step closer. All that abuse will seem worth it when he's on that yacht

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Rumours circulating that the new owners want to bring Keegan back home. Unfinished business.

Kevin Keegan turned 70 this year. Just sayin'.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
The last time I looked Newcastle were 19th in the league. The irony if they dropped this season would be fantastic.
Big club? I’m 52 and they haven’t won a trophy in my lifetime. Yeah really massive…….

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here