Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
33141bec1f6ac06c71d17a0b9135afee.jpg

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
With reference to the above, I hope it's not that picture of [MENTION=409]Herr Tubthumper[/MENTION] chasing a wild boar again.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
They did but the global condemnation and the effect that would have had on MBS probably means that’ll be the last time they do that. He’s desperate to be seen as a serious world leader.

But Cinemas, theme parks, sports events, concerts, girls playing sports (first female cycle race recently held), women driving, reduced reliance on low paid expatriate maids/drivers/construction workers shows the country is quickly changing from its hideously restrictive past. Despite the occasional zealot trying to disrupt this new western lifestyle (three performers from a foreign group stabbed during an open air concert in November)

No means perfect though.

Still got the old democracy and open press issues but so have all other gulf states and the war in Yemen and oppression of Shia Saudis in the east.

Errr....https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-53677869

The fact that the government is cracking down on critics such as writers, academics and entrepreneurs shows they are trying to silence criticism of the Saudi Government.

And lots of other stuff:

Check out Amnesty's report from last year:

https://www.amnesty.org/en/countries/middle-east-and-north-africa/saudi-arabia/report-saudi-arabia/

Still, there's a female cycle race on.

As much will be given as to quell unrest. Nothing more.

Last edited:

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Personally hope the deal still fails. Newcastle fans don't deserve it.

You could read that in two ways.

1 - They don't deserve to be showered with riches because their means of 'protest' against an owner they despise is to fill the stadium every week, buy kit at his stores and then wonder why he won't go away all the while boring the rest of us to tears.
2 - They don't deserve to become yet another sports-washing PR mechanism for an oil state with an atrocious human rights record.

Either way, I agree. They don't deserve it.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
If it happens, they’ll be guaranteed EPL football ad infinitum and will never again be a relegation candidate, joining Citeh and Chelski as sportswashing/dubiously financed clubs. The ruling classes of Saudi commit atrocities home and abroad. The CL will become NUFC’s realistic aim.

Is that a good thing for the Albion and football in this country?

Danny Wilson Said

May 2, 2020
Palookaville
If it happens, they’ll be guaranteed EPL football ad infinitum and will never again be a relegation candidate, joining Citeh and Chelski as sportswashing/dubiously financed clubs. The ruling classes of Saudi commit atrocities home and abroad. The CL will become NUFC’s realistic aim.

Very, very bad indeed, and not just for us. To sell to a wealthy owner is one thing, but to the financial arm of a regime with a very dubious human rights record and which executes its own citizens at home and abroad? I know Ashley is a bad owner, but surely this is too high a price to pay to get the club away from him.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
How sad.

Another football team loses its soul to a Petrostate.

I'd be corrupting my digital season ticket if it was us.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
They'll still moan.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
They'll still moan.

If they spend like Citeh and Chelski, all that also-rans whinging will disappear overnight. Already tentative Champagne corks are popping online, cockiness, talk of the next manager and spend.

Once likeable Citeh fans and many peoples second favourite club, almost overnight became insufferable in phone-ins. If anything it led to enhanced arrogance .... "after what we've endured, we're owed all this success. Don't give a monkeys where the money came from".

The EPL doesn't do humility or morality.

Last edited:

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
It’s funny isn’t it? Pretty soon the Premier League will be 80-90% owned by sovereign wealth or Private Equity all demanding instant success and chasing effectively 4 prizes of any worth. 16/18 into 4 doesn’t go. And then what?!

Our little island of private ownership will become the exception to the norm and I only hope we can continue to exist amongst the big boys against all adversity and occasionally challenge the status quo and watch them implode.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I’d rather get relegated from the PL with TB than win the PL as an Arab states play thing. Mad I know :shrug:

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
It’s funny isn’t it? Pretty soon the Premier League will be 80-90% owned by sovereign wealth or Private Equity all demanding instant success and chasing effectively 4 prizes of any worth. 16/18 into 4 doesn’t go. And then what?!

Our little island of private ownership will become the exception to the norm and I only hope we can continue to exist amongst the big boys against all adversity and occasionally challenge the status quo and watch them implode.

Looks that way, in years to come there may only be a 'few' places left for all the other teams to spend a season or so in the premier League.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017

No, it's depressing as **** as far as fair competition etc in football is concerned. This is the way the world at large has gone though in terms of the super rich, which is also depressing as ****.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
You could read that in two ways.

1 - They don't deserve to be showered with riches because their means of 'protest' against an owner they despise is to fill the stadium every week, buy kit at his stores and then wonder why he won't go away all the while boring the rest of us to tears.
2 - They don't deserve to become yet another sports-washing PR mechanism for an oil state with an atrocious human rights record.

Either way, I agree. They don't deserve it.

Not just about their means of protest being almost invisible but there was a clip of a representative of supporters group who basically said he didn't give a damn about human rights overseas if it meant his beloved club were rich.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
No, it's depressing as **** as far as fair competition etc in football is concerned. This is the way the world at large has gone though in terms of the super rich, which is also depressing as ****.

There’s a depressing inevitably about all this and more to come. Clubs whoring themselves out to blood money or overseas best mates of criminal leaders.

Spuds and Arse will succumb one day if the price is right. Derby thought they were in 9 months ago …. every poster on ramstalk didn’t give a xxxx about EFL due diligence.

The brave new world of 51% fan ownership was a pipe-dream and fans love the current blood money buyers in any case.

This century Leicester, Wigan, Birmingham and Pompey were unlikely winners of proper trophies. See that receding into the ever distance memory.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here