Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Saudi consortium to take over Newcastle

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...keover-sportswashing-saudi-consortium-amnesty

Any thoughts on this? Or about Saudi's increasing activity in the sporting world generally?

My personal view is that a lot of Newcastle fans (well the ones I know anyway) would rather have a body connected to the Saudi state than a Londoner on principle, and will as most fans would, quite happily not consider where the money came from, as long as it comes.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...keover-sportswashing-saudi-consortium-amnesty

Any thoughts on this? Or about Saudi's increasing activity in the sporting world generally?

My personal view is that a lot of Newcastle fans (well the ones I know anyway) would rather have a body connected to the Saudi state than a Londoner on principle, and will as most fans would, quite happily not consider where the money came from, as long as it comes.

Always good to have the Saudi's involved, with their moral leadership.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Haway Shearer

Shearer.png

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
Whether or not it actually comes to pass, the fact is that Middle Eastern money of dubious ethics is happening in world sports from football to horse racing and others....
Newcastle could certainly do with a new direction.... many people would welcome it. Mind you we don’t want too many mega rich clubs leaving the rest of us behind..:down:

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
As I understand it old matey (i.e. Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman) will be in control - what could possibly go wrong do I hear you ask???

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
As I understand it old matey (i.e. Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman) will be in control - what could possibly go wrong do I hear you ask???

Fingers crossed, enough to have the Geordies screaming for Ashley to come and save them. :lolol:

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Mike Ashley, is one of the highest tax payers in the UK, there's a lot of "national treasure's" that aren't.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Fingers crossed, enough to have the Geordies screaming for Ashley to come and save them. :lolol:

I'm sure some of them are regretting the Chinese telecoms giant didn't show a hand. They would then have been able to shout "Huawei the lads!"

Not at all sininster. Hang on....I seem to be losing conscinsnees.......

Last edited:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Newcastle fans won’t give a toss, just as Abramovich and Mansour were met with open arms, no matter their associates, sauce of wealth and the human rights record of Mansour’s Abu Dhabi.

It’s football. Fans only care about the money spent and trophies, plus the PL and EFL don’t do ethics.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I'm sure some of them are regretting the Chinese telecoms giant didn't show a hand. They would then have been able to shout "Huawei the lads!"

Not al all sininster. Hang on....I seem to be losing conscinsnees.......

Even better if it was a co-investment with Dubai ruler Sheikh Al MakhTOON.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Newcastle fans won’t give a toss, just as Abramovich and Mansour were met with open arms, no matter their associates, sauce of wealth and the human rights record of Mansour’s Abu Dhabi.

It’s football. Fans only care about the money spent and trophies, plus the PL and EFL don’t do ethics.

To a point. As long as the owner, if local (a Brit) has had no truck with The Others (another English club). I was under the impression the current Toon owner has spent more than any, previously, even bringing Rafa in (could we do that? ???) and the real reason the Toon unwashed hate him is because he is a Londoner who supports another club. ???

Goes to show the scope for hatred is greatest against the nearest neighbours (the French, anyone? And, if you are a sweaty, paddy or sheepshagger, the English? ???). If the owner comes from some far-away bongo-bongo land, it hardly matters that he may be a gun-toting cannibal muslim on crack, as long as he puts up the cash for players. The rules all change when the owner looks like a local but doesn't profess to bleed local football blood.

People are a masterpiece of hypocrisy. :shrug:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
To a point. As long as the owner, if local (a Brit) has had no truck with The Others (another English club). I was under the impression the current Toon owner has spent more than any, previously, even bringing Rafa in (could we do that? ???) and the real reason the Toon unwashed hate him is because he is a Londoner who supports another club. ???

Goes to show the scope for hatred is greatest against the nearest neighbours (the French, anyone? And, if you are a sweaty, paddy or sheepshagger, the English? ???). If the owner comes from some far-away bongo-bongo land, it hardly matters that he may be a gun-toting cannibal muslim on crack, as long as he puts up the cash for players. The rules all change when the owner looks like a local but doesn't profess to bleed local football blood.

People are a masterpiece of hypocrisy. :shrug:

A neighbour and friend is a life long NUFC supporter. He says that Ashley’s net spend was bugger all in the first many years of his ownership. Only finally opening the purse strings in the last 2 summer windows, to protect their PL status. Owning Newcastle has been all about advertising the Sports Direct brand.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here