Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Saudi consortium to take over Newcastle

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I think they will appoint Eddie.

The fans are behind him and Stavely etc are sensitive to that. Also he's obviously done enough to get the job.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Ridiculous scenes on the pitch at SJP last night, with not just Staveley joining in the players’ lap of honour :facepalm: but also Ant and ****ing Dec! :shrug:

Sounds like an inspired way to ensure the stadium clears rapidly. Hats off to the local police force for thinking of this - probably saved them a fortune in overtime too.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Roma have their Europa Conference Final coming up against Feyenoord and that would be a great way to bow out.

They are winless in their last 5 in Serie A, 6th spot and 23 points off AC Milan, so no chance of mounting a title challenge any time soon. This may be as good as it gets for Roma. However, Mourinho says he intends to stay for another year.

Newcastle have no European football next season so a purely domestic calendar. The sort of player they're being linked with would create a team of: Henderson, Trippier, Targett, Tarkowski, Burn, Bruno Guimaraes, St Maximin, Lingard, Joelinton, Wilson, Calvert-Lewin. I don't necessarily see that side under Howe breaking into the top 6, although it should be good enough for top half.

The problem is that to break into the Top 6 you'd need to attract elite players, and that is easier to do with a manager with a track record of elite success. Is Paolo Dybala or Darwin Nunes going to leave Juventus to play under Eddie Howe at Newcastle? No. Pochettino or Mourinho? Maybe.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Smug is history in the summer but he will be incredibly happy about his repaired managerial reputation and his enhanced bank balance.

You can make a case for Smug being the one to push this narrative.

6 months work with a team who weren't as bad as their league position.
Plus an extra £50m spent.
Massive staying up bonus.
Massive contract pay off.

Minimal tarnish from the owners.
Off to a new club with, as you say, reputation completely restored.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
They have been quite so far, I was expecting a full frontal surge of new players and targets.
It will be interesting to see if all they can attract while Ken is in charge are mercenaries, I suspect until they get a big name manager that will be the case.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Yep, but like the war in Ukraine it's old news. Respect to Palace for their display at Selhurst last season, but since then very little. Should be driven out of the PL, which will never happen of course. I hope Ashworth sleeps well, I'm sure he does.

Agreed. It's Palace, and only Palace, that has left a/ny mark. For our two home games, we've been pathetic. There were a few involved in continual chanting up there last season, but it didn't manage to spread sufficiently and/or sustain itself.

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
Regime of ****ing savages that never should've been allowed anywhere near our league.
Every fan who makes excuses for them is an apologist for that regime

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
Yep, but like the war in Ukraine it's old news. Respect to Palace for their display at Selhurst last season, but since then very little. Should be driven out of the PL, which will never happen of course. I hope Ashworth sleeps well, I'm sure he does.

Just hope it catches up with them as it did with Abramovic at Chelsea. But much, much sooner

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here