Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] MEN. Stop talking about sport at work. NOW.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51261999

Chat about football or cricket in the workplace should be curtailed, a management body has warned.

Chartered Management Institute head Ann Francke said sports banter can exclude women and lead to laddish behaviour such as chat about sexual conquests.

"A lot of women, in particular, feel left out," she told the BBC's Today programme.

"They don't follow those sports and they don't like either being forced to talk about them or not being included."

"I have nothing against sports enthusiasts or cricket fans - that's great," she said.

"But the issue is many people aren't cricket fans," she added, arguing bosses should crack down on sports banter.

Ms Francke is concerned that discussing football and, for example, the merits of video assistant refereeing (VAR) can disproportionately exclude women and divide offices.

"It's a gateway to more laddish behaviour and - if it just goes unchecked - it's a signal of a more laddish culture," she said

"It's very easy for it to escalate from VAR talk and chat to slapping each other on the back and talking about their conquests at the weekend."

:lolol:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Just chatting this morning, 'I really don't think that Potter is making the most of the attacking talent we have, anyway onto the size of my Todger'

Happens all the time :lolol:

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
By the same token, will women no longer be able to talk about their favourite cleaning products or the best way to iron their husbands shirts?

Sorry, but if she’s allowed to live 30 years in the past and make ridiculous generalisations then so should the rest of us

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Sympathise actually! I work with three car bores who if they aren't talking about torques and camshafts are endlessly discussing the merits of various motor racing drivers. It is so, so boring. They are occasionally joined in this snorefest by a semi-car bore, but she's actually more of a motorbike freak.

Anyway, I'm trying to get the Irishman opposite me interested in Test cricket. He says he's interested but he think he's just humouring me. (The biker lady is more interested than him)

EDIT: And the car bores all hate football. (Again except the biker lady).

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
If she stayed in the kitchen then she wouldn't hear the football chatter. :whistle:

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
By the same token, will women no longer be able to talk about their favourite cleaning products or the best way to iron their husbands shirts?

Sorry, but if she’s allowed to live 30 years in the past and make ridiculous generalisations then so should the rest of us

Exactly. Sexist or what. My daughter is football mad and she's 30.

So we stop women talking about handbags, shoes, hair, clothes, household things like curtains and SALES / BARGAINS.

Jeez let's just not talk. :ffsparr:

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Shoes! Will women ever stop talking about the shoes they have purchased. Even Mrs. Marcos would tire of all the shoe talk.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If THEY didn't spend all their time droning on about inane bollox like, money, bills, the kids, education and the future, THEY might find life a little more inclusive.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Interesting piece on the Business news on Radio Four this morning. They invited the author of this bollocks on and she got schooled. Utter nonsense.

SUA Seagull

Jul 23, 2016
Stratford-upon-Avon
“Chartered Management Institute head Ann Francke said sports banter can exclude women and lead to laddish behaviour such as chat about sexual conquests.”

I strongly disagree with that assertion. In more than 40 years of regaling my work colleagues about all matters BHAFC, the conversation has never once transitioned from Bmuff to muff.:)

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
If find when I'm at work it's very easy to combine the cricket chat with the sexual conquest chat.

"That Broad ****ing loves Wood, what a pair, they were all over De Kock."

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Does this mean that women will stop talking about what happened in Eastenders, Coronation Street etc. I sometimes overhear conversations where I’m thinking “fecking hell, that sounds bad “ only to find out it was about a soap and they are being talked about like they are real people :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I'm in a fairly quiet office which is mainly women, so whenever I'm on the phone, I'm aware I have an "audience". Our CEO is a Watford STH, so whenever he calls me, we generally have about a 20 minute chat about our respective teams, before rounding it off with about 5 minutes of actual talk about work, ie what he actually called me about.

I can almost hear the eyeballs rolling around me when we're on the football. But I don't really give a shit tbh.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here