Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] MEN. Stop talking about sport at work. NOW.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Not in my office old love, I'd be upset if my staff didn't discuss football.

We've got the usual smattering of Albion fans, young Greg who plays up front for Eastbourne Borough and my sister-in-law Jane, who next summer becomes Mrs John Keeley. (so Pompey get mentioned)

Once again why try and force change because it appears to be trendy?

Before you know it they will remake a classic Dickens movie with an Indian actor playing the lead...…...

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I think what ACTUALLY needs cracking down on in offices are female CHUBSTERS who spend all day eating CRISPS or making HUMMING noises whilst actually doing **** all work..... :whistle:

Surrey Phil

Aug 3, 2010
I'm just jealous at the amount of time people seem to have to sit around chatting in the office rather than getting on with their work!

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Her advice for line managers - keep a diary of conversations you hear.

4814014643_b2e1da67c5.jpg

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I'm just jealous at the amount of time people seem to have to sit around chatting in the office rather than getting on with their work!

Or posting on messageboards in the middle of the afternoon

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
I work for a fashion retailer, it's mostly women in this office. The conversation is about usually clothes, makeup or some 'celebrity' nonsense. Instead of crying to HR about it, I just get on with my day/work. I suggest others do the same.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
I work for a fashion retailer, it's mostly women in this office. The conversation is about usually clothes, makeup or some 'celebrity' nonsense. Instead of crying to HR about it, I just get on with my day/work. I suggest others do the same.

I'm too busy posting on NSC to get any work done.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away

Yes, the life skill to be able to completely zone out when those around you are talking about something pointless is priceless

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
"I have nothing against sports enthusiasts or cricket fans - that's great," she said.

Why is cricket not a sport in this woman's mind?

As others have said, talking about the weekend results for various teams, or the current test score has never progressed into the other areas being suggested.

So on the same basis, talking about soap operas, reality TV...... should also be banned to avoid people being excluded from the conversation.

In fact why not ban all non work talk in the office.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
"I have nothing against sports enthusiasts or cricket fans - that's great," she said.

Why is cricket not a sport in this woman's mind?

As others have said, talking about the weekend results for various teams, or the current test score has never progressed into the other areas being suggested.

So on the same basis, talking about soap operas, reality TV...... should also be banned to avoid people being excluded from the conversation.

If I had to guess, she is married to someone more interested in sport than in her

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea

Because women talking about Love island all day is nothing to do with sex and demeaning men and women in the hope they will get drunk and get off with each other on camera

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Given our current run of form, I am not totally averse to a ban on football conversations in work, or indeed any other places, until we start winning again!

There are loads of work conversations, from which people are excluded and the conclusion of this piece was pretty much along these lines. Be aware of your audience and the impact of your conversation.

As for Anne Frank, I suspect she belongs in a museum.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The stereotyping is strong in this thread. I used to love talking about football at work. Unfortunately the day I retired, my superior's speech on presenting me with an away shirt, was from a West Ham fan, who mentioned three times, they'd beaten us 6-0 a few months earlier.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Does this mean that women will stop talking about what happened in Eastenders, Coronation Street etc. I sometimes overhear conversations where I’m thinking “fecking hell, that sounds bad “ only to find out it was about a soap and they are being talked about like they are real people :rolleyes:

In fairness I have much the same trouble with Jnr, differentiating between:-

Professional football.
His yoof team
&
FIFA.

It all comes out in such a blur, I'm sure Barnham Trojans once beat Real Madrid.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I think what ACTUALLY needs cracking down on in offices are female CHUBSTERS who spend all day eating CRISPS or making HUMMING noises whilst actually doing **** all work..... :whistle:

............or discussing diet plans and how many STEPS they’ve done today (mostly to and from the ****ing vending machine).....whilst tucking into a GRAB BAG of Maltesers.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here