Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] PL 'winter break' / FA Cup 4th round replays

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Liverpool field a third-choice team at Shrewsbury, and as a result, have to play a replay during the scheduled break, prompting Klopp to have a little :cry:

"I said to the boys already two weeks ago that we will have a winter break, which means we will not be there," said Klopp.

"You cannot deal with us like nobody cares about it. I know that it's not very popular but that's the way I see it.

"The Premier League asked us to respect the winter break. That's what we do. If the FA doesn't respect that, then we cannot change it. We will not be there."

Klopp said it "will be the kids who play" and also confirmed that reserve coach Neil Critchley, who took charge of the Carabao Cup quarter-final loss to Aston Villa in December while the first team were playing the World Club Cup, will again be in the dugout.

"We have to respect the players' welfare. They need a rest. They need a mental rest, a physical rest, and that's what the winter break is all about," said Klopp.

Newcastle are in the same position, after failing to put away L1 Oxford. Steve Bruce had a little bit to say about it, too, but given as he was let down by the full strength side he picked, its hard to hold it against him personally.

Saints and Spurs also replay, and seems slightly harsh on them, who both put decent sides out and cancelled each other out.

Klopp can ****ing do one though. The ****.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Klopp getting too big for his boots???
He does come across a nice guy, but sometimes you get the hint of that German arrogance.
I'm guessing he already knows he's won the title, but just won't admit it :lolol:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Klopp has a tiny point, that the PL and FA should have coordinated on this. dont have a lot of sympathy though for a large squad as their's, they should be able to cope.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Liverpool field a third-choice team at Shrewsbury, and as a result, have to play a replay during the scheduled break, prompting Klopp to have a little :cry:

"I said to the boys already two weeks ago that we will have a winter break, which means we will not be there," said Klopp.

"You cannot deal with us like nobody cares about it. I know that it's not very popular but that's the way I see it.

"The Premier League asked us to respect the winter break. That's what we do. If the FA doesn't respect that, then we cannot change it. We will not be there."

Klopp said it "will be the kids who play" and also confirmed that reserve coach Neil Critchley, who took charge of the Carabao Cup quarter-final loss to Aston Villa in December while the first team were playing the World Club Cup, will again be in the dugout.

"We have to respect the players' welfare. They need a rest. They need a mental rest, a physical rest, and that's what the winter break is all about," said Klopp.

Newcastle are in the same position, after failing to put away L1 Oxford. Steve Bruce had a little bit to say about it, too, but given as he was let down by the full strength side he picked, its hard to hold it against him personally.

Saints and Spurs also replay, and seems slightly harsh on them, who both put decent sides out and cancelled each other out.

Klopp can ****ing do one though. The ****.

If Liverpool eschew the lucrative pre season tours, then i'll listen to Klopp's points about his players being over-played

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Klopp does my head in, can’t stand the media love in over him either. He’s like a smiley Jose Mourinho, but almost more annoying because at least Mourinho doesn’t hide the fact he’s a t**t

Last edited:

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Klopp should have kept his counsel.

It does seem madness that FA Cup replays have been scheduled during the winter break - which idiot planned that ?

So let him play his 3rd team or his 4th team.

The fixture planner needs to do better next season.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Good luck to Shrewsbury and Oxford then, Klopp has no right to moan, he had the big guns on the bench, he chose not to start them, it's down to him, nobody else, grin at that all you like.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
He’s not having a cry is he. He’s just saying a winter break is planned for when the FA cup 4th Round replays are due. Which is unfortunate as he has organised for his team to have a break during the winter break.

No biggy as he’s made plans to send the U23s to play it. Shrug

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Klopp should have kept his counsel.

It does seem madness that FA Cup replays have been scheduled during the winter break - which idiot planned that ?

So let him play his 3rd team or his 4th team.

The fixture planner needs to do better next season.

This brings into sharp focus the tension between the Premier League and the Football Association. We also have Carabao second legs this week, so there will be a chat about the football league scheduling in extra games.

Whether domestically or internationally, there are many governing bodies who are only ever looking out for their bottom line and the way they improve their bottom line is to schedule more fixtures. It's pretty easy to say the FA should bin off replays, but the FA are completely broke. It's not like the Premier League or FIFA where there are billions sloshing around. The FA can barely afford to carry out it's wider duties whilst paying off the Wembley build

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Good luck to Shrewsbury and Oxford then, Klopp has no right to moan, he had the big guns on the bench, he chose not to start them, it's down to him, nobody else, grin at that all you like.

Yeh, he got away with it in the Everton game, but then continued to push his luck. I'm interested in the odds for the replay. Will Shrewsbury start favourites to win at Anfield?

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
He does have a point. Just telling FA in advance not to have a go at them for fielding a weakened team when he has already informed players they will have a weeks break. I do think a weeks break is a joke for most teams including Brighton. We dont show interest in cups so only 38 league games.The way Potter changes team likely only Stephens,Dunk, Ryan, Maupay Propper and Webster will play 30 plus. Cushy Life

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
He does have a point.

He really doesn't.

The Spurs or Southampton managers would have a point. They are forced the play a replay, through no fault of their own.

Klopp knew the published replay dates, ahead of yesterday's game. If he wanted to avoid a replay, it was completely within his power to do so. Arrogantly, he thought he could treat Shrewsbury with contempt, and sent a team of (mostly) kids. That is the issue here, nothing more.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Klopp knew the published replay dates, ahead of yesterday's game. If he wanted to avoid a replay, it was completely within his power to do so. Arrogantly, he thought he could treat Shrewsbury with contempt, and sent a team of (mostly) kids. That is the issue here, nothing more.

But I don't think he really cares anyway. They have a solution so what is the problem? The media are turning this into more of an issue then it really is.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
He really doesn't.

The Spurs or Southampton managers would have a point. They are forced the play a replay, through no fault of their own.

This, with bells on.

Liverpool are SIXTEEN points clear in the PL with a GAME IN HAND. It's not like he needed to hold all his players back for the tight contest at the top. By all means rest a couple of players, but if you're going to play an entire team of kids you won't get much sympathy if it doesn't pay off.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
But I don't think he really cares anyway. They have a solution so what is the problem? The media are turning this into more of an issue then it really is.

If he doesn't care then he shouldn't have said anything to the media.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

There's no logic to your argument.

If he 'really doesn't care' and was always going to play the kids, then why is the scheduling of the replay even an issue for him?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
There's no logic to your argument.

If he 'really doesn't care' and was always going to play the kids, then why is the scheduling of the replay even an issue for him?

It isn't a problem for him. He has a solution for it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here