Votes: 12 26.1%
  • No

Votes: 34 73.9%

• Total voters

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
You know, Tony knows good business, so when I heard Tony had sacked Chrissy boy I was shocked, that would be like Simon Cowell setting up at talent show in Antarctica. That would be bad business.

Since he bought GPott in to replace him I’ve been pleasantly surprised with the transition and the calibration of GPott as a manager but one nagging doubt I have with GPott is he is too much of a nice guy, particularly in the guts of a relegation battle. Chris didn’t suffer fools gladly and would happily dish it out if players weren’t performing to standard and would on occasion read the riot act (1714). However I’m beginning to wonder with GPott as some players fall below their usual standards whether GPott suffers fools gladly.

What do you think?

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
We don’t know what happens out of the public eye. He seems to have got rid of a couple of players who reputedly are hot heads and with whom Mr Hughton had trouble.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I was in Sweden for much of last week and when out for dinner the waiter asked where I was from. When I said the UK he immediately asked which team I support, as they invariably do. When I said Brighton he started raving about the GPott and all things Brighton. I thought I was going to eat for free. Given it was the night of the Bournemouth disaster (yet to unfold at this point in the evening's proceedings), I wish I had.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
I don't think it would be ideal to be surrounded by a team of 'yes' men, these tend to have little fire and desire curbed, just a thought.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
No but I do think that he may be very stubborn and have favourites. This is in itself is not a great thing though imo and I am starting to wonder if he has battling and being cynical is his tactics armoury. It could be that his preferred way of playing will be enough, we will see. It is enjoyable to watch either way.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
I don't think it would be ideal to be surrounded by a team of 'yes' men, these tend to have little fire and desire curbed, just a thought.

And it's a very good thought! I was shocked they all departed. Any decent manager should have been able to manage a couple of hotheads... especially as they all wanted to play in the team.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
And it's a very good thought! I was shocked they all departed. Any decent manager should have been able to manage a couple of hotheads... especially as they all wanted to play in the team.

Good point, I hadn’t actually thought of that before :thumbsup:

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Ask Andone Locardia and Knockaert.

Totaly agree Andone and Locardia were shipped out as they were not what GP wanted within the team, Knockaert on the other hand I got the feeling it was his choice to move on he was so close to CH I think he acted as a father figure after the sad loss of his own father and his wife and child moving back to France that for Kockaert the Albion without CH was just not the same.

Right now we miss Knockaert as an option in the team and I for one wish he was still here

A1X

NSC Patreon
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I think he does but only if they suit his "philosophy", hence why we're stuck with Webster ahead of Duffy.

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
You know, Tony knows good business, so when I heard Tony had sacked Chrissy boy I was shocked, that would be like Simon Cowell setting up at talent show in Antarctica. That would be bad business.

Since he bought GPott in to replace him I’ve been pleasantly surprised with the transition and the calibration of GPott as a manager but one nagging doubt I have with GPott is he is too much of a nice guy, particularly in the guts of a relegation battle. Chris didn’t suffer fools gladly and would happily dish it out if players weren’t performing to standard and would on occasion read the riot act (1714). However I’m beginning to wonder with GPott as some players fall below their usual standards whether GPott suffers fools gladly.

What do you think?

How do you know this about Chris Hughton, I've not been aware of him reading the riot act being well known?

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

Sounds like a lot of huge assumptions being made on here based on very little!

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
So no then...

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Give GP a chance ffs, from what I’ve seen it’s tactics are mostly spot on he’s always saying if we don’t put the game to bed when on top the inevitable will happen. Maupay tends to lash at the easier chances he should have scored a lot more than he has. Trossard we’ve seen glimpses and probably still adapting to the PL. Fingers are always pointed towards the defence because we can’t score more than one goal lately so a mistake is very costly making the need for a striker more important give him some players.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Give GP a chance ffs, from what I’ve seen it’s tactics are mostly spot on he’s always saying if we don’t put the game to bed when on top the inevitable will happen. Maupay tends to lash at the easier chances he should have scored a lot more than he has. Trossard we’ve seen glimpses and probably still adapting to the PL. Fingers are always pointed towards the defence because we can’t score more than one goal lately so a mistake is very costly making the need for a striker more important give him some players.

All true IMHO...

Albion my Albion

NSC Patreon
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Is it possible that GraPott dismissed these players (Locadia, Andone, Knockaert) with a slap on the back and a "great to have had you, mate. Can't wait till you get back." while a current player could get the "suffer fools gladly" treatment while still playing for the Albion. Every manager has to pick a starting 11 and not everyone is going to be happy about the choices no matter who gets picked.

Some would say the dismissal of Locadia, Andone and Knockaert has taken a lot of the "fire out of the belly" of this Albion team. Something GraPott may lack in certain ways but the seriousness of Hughton never did.

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I don't know if he suffers fools gladly, but I have started to wonder - we've heard from several players how Potter doesn't criticise them for making mistakes. While that has its merits, in that it gives players the confidence to try things, isn't there a balancing act where to not pull them up on mistakes could be incubating an attitude of not caring about making mistakes even though they are costing us so dearly?

Add to that Duffy and Murray. Starters last season now warming the bench.

That would imply you think Duffy and Murray are fools/have done something to deserve being benched.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here