Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] No hot water from boiler

Petunia

Living the dream
NSC Patron
May 8, 2013
Downunder
Have you switched it off and back on again?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
No, but i am saying this boiler is not 20 years old, and your 'plate heat exchanger' diagnosis is unfortunately incorrect.

It's not a binary answer to changing 20 year old boilers - I keep quite a few pre 2005 boiler on the go for clients; not every one can afford to spend upwards of £2.5k on a new boiler install, and different flue runs, a new condense run, and tenant inconvenience, can often outway the extra per month on gas. My own Potterton Suprima is over 20 years old and is very reliable (1 new PCB only) and have no wish to change it yet.

I dont have a lot of love for Ariston's, they were cheap shit when they were new (I bow to [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] who will have more experience on them than me) and only fit Vaillants and Viessmann's.

I definitely don't. I am to boilers what Megham Markle is to League Two football.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
That's a 3 port zone valve, and yes if he has a heat only or system boiler, then he'll have 1 of those or two of the two port valves which can fail, but also be manually switched over to get by for now.

My issue, is that he has a single channel programmer and receiver.. which works with combis... so no cylinder/immersion/zone valves..

We await pics of boiler.. showing data plate/model pls.. [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION]
So what's happening?

Has he gone for the "cheap but it might kill me" DIY bodge job, or paid for someone who actually knows what they are talking about?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I would recommend getting a British gas service Contract. Peace of mind & they will come out as many times as needed to resolve issues , often the same day or the next day. Well worth the £35 pm .

Don’t try and diagnose yourself , you can do a lot more damage. Leave it to the experts always is my advice.

I would never mess about with gas or electrics or plumbing . Get an expert in to sort.

How much? We have a contract with SSE, which involves a yearly service, covers all parts, labour & no call out fee for £23.25 a month. That’s for the whole system, not just the boiler.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
How much? We have a contract with SSE, which involves a yearly service, covers all parts, labour & no call out fee for £23.25 a month. That’s for the whole system, not just the boiler.

The top level BG Homecare service also includes plumbing, drains and electrics.

I'm sure they're still likely to be one of the most expensive services on the market, however.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
To be fair, we don’t try to ‘up sell boilers’ when we visit.
We are obliged to inform the customer if the boiler is a reduced parts list as they have an insurance product with us and it is wrong to take their money every month, knowing that we wouldn’t be able to fix it if we required one of the obsolete parts.
We advise of parts availability and efficiency.
I used to have a BG service contract - once had a boiler issue and the engineer insisted on quoting to replace it, plus the whole CH system. When I questioned him about the need for that he explained he was a 'churn engineer' and they were incentivised to quote for new systems. Was a while ago so might have changed. The boiler quote alone was about 50% more than I paid an independent fitter in the end.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
We have a home "something" policy with British Gas, they've always been good and even did a face time thing with me last time as all I had to do was increase the flow (or something) to the red ball cylinder thing on the floor, gave us back heating and engineer turned up 5 hours later, top job!

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
This is close to the cylinder.

fea46a9f4fab0ad2fc3b233e57dce78d.jpg

I see it is made in Spain. You may have to get some Juan to have a look at it?

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham

I'm sure they're still likely to be one of the most expensive services on the market, however.
Don’t get suckered into these payment plans save your money and just call a local tradesman when needed. I know exactly how they operate and have cleaned up the mess they leave plenty of times.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

We have a policy with Homeserve, just covering our heating system. We've got good value for money on the policy in recent years. It also includes an annual service of the boiler.

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
I used to have a BG service contract - once had a boiler issue and the engineer insisted on quoting to replace it, plus the whole CH system. When I questioned him about the need for that he explained he was a 'churn engineer' and they were incentivised to quote for new systems. Was a while ago so might have changed. The boiler quote alone was about 50% more than I paid an independent fitter in the end.

Part of my job is to visit engineers on site to ensure the customers get consistent and relevant advice. As you say, this was a while ago but as far as I am concerned, that behaviour is unacceptable. The reward they actually get for boiler leads is negligible. I would say the majority of our engineers have a ‘can fix’ attitude and would only advise on a replacement due to reduced service listed appliances or efficiency. Some of the boilers we see are 55% efficient so for every £1 the customer spends, 45p is wasted. Why wouldn’t we advise on that?

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
We have a policy with Homeserve, just covering our heating system. We've got good value for money on the policy in recent years. It also includes an annual service of the boiler.
Homeserve are good if you don't mind having to shout at them every single year to get the price down. I think they tried a 150% increase this year which a quick phone call got down to around 10%. They don't even haggle - just go straight to their bottom line. A few years ago, one guy actually asked me what I wanted to pay and then pretty much came down to it.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Good advice. The difficulty with Spanish plumbing units is diagnosing if the fault is José or Hose B.

And you have to paella ver lot for a call-out.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here