Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] No hot water from boiler

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
I would recommend getting a British gas service Contract. Peace of mind & they will come out as many times as needed to resolve issues , often the same day or the next day. Well worth the £35 pm .

Don’t try and diagnose yourself , you can do a lot more damage. Leave it to the experts always is my advice.

I would never mess about with gas or electrics or plumbing . Get an expert in to sort.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I would recommend getting a British gas service Contract. Peace of mind & they will come out as many times as needed to resolve issues , often the same day or the next day. Well worth the £35 pm .

Don’t try and diagnose yourself , you can do a lot more damage. Leave it to the experts always is my advice.

I would never mess about with gas or electrics .

As above, we have one of those.

It still has a flat-rate callout fee. so I was seeing if there was something simple/obvious wrong before I made the call.

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
I'm no expert but if the boiler keeps losing pressure, I'd suggest a leak? Old radiator maybe slightly dripping somewhere.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I’ve never been charged a call out fee. I book the call out online Bozza via their website .

I think there are different levels of cover - you can pay more per month and have less/no callout or pay less per month and have a callout.

Needless to say, I didn’t arrange this!

And yes we do it online.

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
This is close to the cylinder.

fea46a9f4fab0ad2fc3b233e57dce78d.jpg

In house expert eh.. love those..

Pressure should be 1.5max when cold, take that as read.

Heat anything, and it expands, so pressure will rise when CH/HW is on. Likely, the expansion vessel has gone flat, pressure risen over 3.5 bar (due to lack of expansion space) the prv kicked in, and all pressure dropped out. Even is topping up pressure in between, it's never ending cycle of events until repairs done.

The above zone valve could have (also) failed - move the lever over and hook behind catch to see if that changes anything (hot water either side of valve when on call?)

The previous zone valve is for CH, so leave alone.

Get BG in if you have contract - if you dont, use an independent engineer who will appreciate your business and not try to upsell you a new boiler)

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually

Heat anything, and it expands, so pressure will rise when CH/HW is on. Likely, the expansion vessel has gone flat, pressure risen over 3.5 bar (due to lack of expansion space) the prv kicked in, and all pressure dropped out. Even is topping up pressure in between, it's never ending cycle of events until repairs done.

The above zone valve could have (also) failed - move the lever over and hook behind catch to see if that changes anything (hot water either side of valve when on call?)

Get BG in if you have contract - if you dont, use an independent engineer who will appreciate your business and not try to upsell you a new boiler)

Are you saying that this would be wrong advice on a 20 year old boiler?

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
It must be one of those weekends for annoying plumbing incidents in Mod World.

Drain in the back garden blocked yesterday. Tried a plunger - nope. Tried our jet washer - nope. Called a decent local company (non decent ones may also be available) who came and the bloke unblocked it with a bigger plunger and more powerful jet. :facepalm:

£125 for about 10 minutes work. Still. it's not like late January is absolutely the worst possible time for these sorts of things to happen finance wise.....

I wonder if I'd have asked NSC they'd have told me to get a bigger plunger or just told me to clean the brickwork........

Same happened to me before Christmas. This is a great bit of kit, I'd assume they make them to fit all connectors/pressure washers (mine is a Titan). Cleared my blockage in about 15 minutes and saved me a £100.

https://amzn.to/3aNLBAO

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
Are you saying that this would be wrong advice on a 20 year old boiler?

No, but i am saying this boiler is not 20 years old, and your 'plate heat exchanger' diagnosis is unfortunately incorrect.

It's not a binary answer to changing 20 year old boilers - I keep quite a few pre 2005 boiler on the go for clients; not every one can afford to spend upwards of £2.5k on a new boiler install, and different flue runs, a new condense run, and tenant inconvenience, can often outway the extra per month on gas. My own Potterton Suprima is over 20 years old and is very reliable (1 new PCB only) and have no wish to change it yet.

I dont have a lot of love for Ariston's, they were cheap shit when they were new (I bow to [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] who will have more experience on them than me) and only fit Vaillants and Viessmann's.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
No, but i am saying this boiler is not 20 years old, and your 'plate heat exchanger' diagnosis is unfortunately incorrect.

It's not a binary answer to changing 20 year old boilers - I keep quite a few pre 2005 boiler on the go for clients; not every one can afford to spend upwards of £2.5k on a new boiler install, and different flue runs, a new condense run, and tenant inconvenience, can often outway the extra per month on gas. My own Potterton Suprima is over 20 years old and is very reliable (1 new PCB only) and have no wish to change it yet.

I dont have a lot of love for Ariston's, they were cheap shit when they were new (I bow to [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] who will have more experience on them than me) and only fit Vaillants and Viessmann's.

I have sat back and just read the comments on this thread.
I find it funny that people not in our trade know how to fix central heating problems just by seeing a few photos.
1- I'm not 100% sure what system Bozza has got.
2-Never seen that type of boiler before, I've heard of Ariston boilers but never seen that type.
3-Never seen the Telford Cylinders zone valve before, obviously seen hundreds of Honeywell.

As the boiler has a pressure gauge and there are 2 zone valves I'm guessing it's a system boiler and unvented cylinder.

Some people have mentioned changing the zone valve synchronised motor.
I have got a 21 year old system boiler and Megaflow UV cylinder, I changed my motors in both Zone valves recently, heating one was noisy and the hot water stopped working, I changed them ( motors )a few years back when they went wrong.
I am currently using my immersion as the hot water isn't working by just running the boiler :facepalm: FFS my own house :D I think the inside of the HW zone valve must be sticking.
Time for a drain down and new zone valve.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually

My heat exchange wasn't a diagnosis. I stated that it fixed mine. That Ariston was an older model than mine so 15 - 20 years is old by boiler standards.

My new boiler was a hell of a lot less than upwards of £2.5k tbf. The heating engineers who charge that much are the ones to steer clear of, so you would be correct to not be mugged by these types. Very happy with my new smart boiler with the warranty and helpful engineer.

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm

To be fair, we don’t try to ‘up sell boilers’ when we visit.
We are obliged to inform the customer if the boiler is a reduced parts list as they have an insurance product with us and it is wrong to take their money every month, knowing that we wouldn’t be able to fix it if we required one of the obsolete parts.
We advise of parts availability and efficiency.

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
Give it up eh, it's in writing - you said you had THIS problem, when you didn't have THIS problem or TYPE of boiler, and now denying it.

I had this problem with my Ariston a few years ago and the issue was a dirty plate heat exchanger.

I have since replaced the boiler on advice from my heating engineer and my Ariston looked like a newer model than yours, which I go ten years out of. Your Ariston model looks like 20 years old and will probably cost you more to maintain that than to get a new smart Vaillant fitted.

My heat exchange wasn't a diagnosis. I stated that it fixed mine. That Ariston was an older model than mine so 15 - 20 years is old by boiler standards.

My new boiler was a hell of a lot less than upwards of £2.5k tbf. The heating engineers who charge that much are the ones to steer clear of, so you would be correct to not be mugged by these types. Very happy with my new smart boiler with the warranty and helpful engineer.

Yeah, i've seen your dig at costs too :wanker:

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Give it up eh, it's in writing - you said you had THIS problem, when you didn't have THIS problem or TYPE of boiler, and now denying it.

Yeah, i've seen your dig at costs too :wanker:

Blimey you're sensitive little one aren't you with your offensive emoji. Yes I have had the problem with having heating and no hot water. That is a symptom not a diagnosis. Of course you've seen me question your cost. You claimed falsely that it would cost over £2.5k ???

It is you who needs to get over oneself as I was only trying to help someone, not you and I recommend Pavilion Heating again, who won't rip people off with your silly costings, whilst I am at it.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Fecking boilers, guaranteed to cause problems at the worst possible time.

Mine went at the coldest time of the year a couple of years ago and the plumber was so busy it took a week to sort. Had to buy electric heaters to keep the house warm

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here