Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] No hot water from boiler

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Aroused maybe overdoing it a bit , but i did dream of a dungeon and cold water torture last night so it could well be this thread had something to do with it .

Could have been the cat grabbing the goldfish from the aquarium and dripping it's mutilated carcass over your head in the shower.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Homeserve are good if you don't mind having to shout at them every single year to get the price down. I think they tried a 150% increase this year which a quick phone call got down to around 10%. They don't even haggle - just go straight to their bottom line. A few years ago, one guy actually asked me what I wanted to pay and then pretty much came down to it.

Yep - same with me. The first year I basically had to ask them to cancel it before they'd discuss reductions. Now they effectively drop it immediately. Like you, one time they said 'what do you want to pay?' - and I said 'the same as you are offering to new customers' - so not only did they agree, they made me a new customer, so I also qualified for a free service!

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
British Gas - cowboys in suits

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Yep - same with me. The first year I basically had to ask them to cancel it before they'd discuss reductions. Now they effectively drop it immediately. Like you, one time they said 'what do you want to pay?' - and I said 'the same as you are offering to new customers' - so not only did they agree, they made me a new customer, so I also qualified for a free service!

I don't have a boiler so just have the plumbing cover with a £50 excess. This has risen to around £90 which I can just about cope with as I have used it a couple of times and a lot easier than trying to arrange a plumber yourself. But the renewal a couple of weeks ago went to £240. I phoned them up and told them what the percentage increase and he went straight with - the maximum discount I can give you takes it down to £98. It really is preying on the weak and vulnerable and really needs a clampdown as I know there are people like my mum's neighbour who never query anything so must have overpaid by thousands. I hate haggling and will happily flounce off if they get silly but with Homeserve and Sky - there really aren't many alternatives. I don't think my car insurance people could be bothered last year as my renewal was the same as the previous year - to the penny.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Isn’t his advice limited to Apple products?

As I am an Omsung devotee, he may never be able to reciprocate in providing assistance to me.

Don't be surprised if your Omsung suddenly comes down with a "Chinese" virus after you post another comment on NSC.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I’m not sure I understand the negative comments about Ariston.

B4018338-2195-4B3D-ABE1-C9FAC75D0F6B.jpeg

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I don't have a boiler so just have the plumbing cover with a £50 excess. This has risen to around £90 which I can just about cope with as I have used it a couple of times and a lot easier than trying to arrange a plumber yourself. But the renewal a couple of weeks ago went to £240. I phoned them up and told them what the percentage increase and he went straight with - the maximum discount I can give you takes it down to £98. It really is preying on the weak and vulnerable and really needs a clampdown as I know there are people like my mum's neighbour who never query anything so must have overpaid by thousands. I hate haggling and will happily flounce off if they get silly but with Homeserve and Sky - there really aren't many alternatives. I don't think my car insurance people could be bothered last year as my renewal was the same as the previous year - to the penny.
Is it really that difficult to arrange a plumber/electrician etc? people call us daily and book jobs in. I’ve had all these companies at one time or another desperately calling us because they can’t cover jobs the fact they are prepared to pay literally any amount to get rid of a difficult client is telling.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Part of my job is to visit engineers on site to ensure the customers get consistent and relevant advice. As you say, this was a while ago but as far as I am concerned, that behaviour is unacceptable. The reward they actually get for boiler leads is negligible. I would say the majority of our engineers have a ‘can fix’ attitude and would only advise on a replacement due to reduced service listed appliances or efficiency. Some of the boilers we see are 55% efficient so for every £1 the customer spends, 45p is wasted. Why wouldn’t we advise on that?

Good to hear - I was pretty taken aback by how upfront he was about it.....and he made no attempt to fix the boiler at all (it was very old to be fair, but I called a local fella the following day and he fixed it in 15 minutes - we were in the throes of finalising plans for an extension so ideally I needed the old one to hang on for a few weeks as we were replacing it anyway). Agree re the efficiency point - would hope and expect this to be pointed out.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Can I slightly hijack this thread by asking about shower water temperature? It's boiling hot, too hot to shower in, or with the slightest touch on the dial, very cold. Is this caused by shower cartridge?
To clarify, I have no clue WTF I'm talking about when it comes to anything to do with these problems. Not home at the moment, but will need fixing when I get back.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Is it really that difficult to arrange a plumber/electrician etc? people call us daily and book jobs in. I’ve had all these companies at one time or another desperately calling us because they can’t cover jobs the fact they are prepared to pay literally any amount to get rid of a difficult client is telling.
I call one number, know I will get someone the next day and that it will only cost £50. Finding a trusted plumber who is available at short notice is nowhere near as easy. Well worth the cost of the insurance for me.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Can I slightly hijack this thread by asking about shower water temperature? It's boiling hot, too hot to shower in, or with the slightest touch on the dial, very cold. Is this caused by shower cartridge?
To clarify, I have no clue WTF I'm talking about when it comes to anything to do with these problems. Not home at the moment, but will need fixing when I get back.

When you get back send me a photo of your shower valve ( use Twitter ) probably the temperature cartridge is scaled up or needs replacing.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I call one number, know I will get someone the next day and that it will only cost £50. Finding a trusted plumber who is available at short notice is nowhere near as easy. Well worth the cost of the insurance for me.

You are probably right, a good trusted plumber is usually booked up in advance and not sitting around waiting for the phone to ring. :) :wink:

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
You are probably right, a good trusted plumber is usually booked up in advance and not sitting around waiting for the phone to ring. :) :wink:

Very much the problem. For instance, the cold tap broke on my mixer tap in the kitchen recently and would not reattach. Now I am sure some people on here are DIY savvy enough to fix it but I don't touch stuff that can flood my house or fry me. For £50, I had someone out the next day who fitted the tap, which was included (after 30 minutes of fighting it under the sink - so not such a DIY job). Can't imagine these top plumbers being thrilled when I phone them up and demand they come the next day for such a minor issue. Proper, decent plumbers are for new installations or major replacements. Such as replacing my hot water heater. But for fixing things you want/need doing quickly, services such as Homeserve are ideal - if you can stop them taking the proverbial with the insurance costs when you aren't a new customer.

Which reminds me, when I wanted rid of my boiler to replace with an electric system a few years ago, it took 5 calls to different firms to get someone to come out. Emails and voicemails all went unanswered. Plumbing in a new water heater is not fixing a tap but I struggled to get anyone to even quote me.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
When you get back send me a photo of your shower valve ( use Twitter ) probably the temperature cartridge is scaled up or needs replacing.

Cheers Steve.When I get home; my God, that seems like a life time away.

Hampden Park

Ex R.N.
Oct 7, 2003

Oh dear Smudger, not done yourself any favours there shipwreck. Wafu and shower in the same sentence :wink: Man up, stop whining, 2 mins in, soap up, 2 mins wash down and out you get. no time to get burnt/cold. Make the most of the showers onboard matey :smile:

you have not been charged for this priceless information.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here