Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] No hot water from boiler

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Our boiler has stopped giving us hot water. The central heating from the same boiler is still working just fine.

The hot water is controlled by this box on the wall, which connects to another bigger box (second post) and then the boiler itself.

Any experts any idea what the likely issue is going to be?

(We have an immersion heater so we are urging that instead for now)

509faac26fdd6d83d0979e5680e35c6a.jpg

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
This is out in the garage. I'm sharing this detail to provide an excuse for what an utter mess it is.

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
Not an expert, but when mine went the same way a few months back it turned out that the timer switch had malfunctioned. Just needed a new one.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
If the hot water is showing as on and you're not getting any it would suggest your tri-valve isn't working.

I had this problem in my old flat 20 iodd years ago . . . . hot in and a 2 way outlet, one for water, one for heating, or a bit of both . . . . valve scales up and ceases to move . . . . a quick fix was to remove the electric control part and manually move the valve to 50/50

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
I would recommend to try a "plumber".

Works for me.

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
pic of boiler pls..

Also, pic of cylinder, with zone valves (if you have have any, they are silver boxes close by)

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
If the hot water is showing as on and you're not getting any it would suggest your tri-valve isn't working.

You mean this? Happened with ours as well. Might I suggest turning the heating off temporarily and leaving the hot water on and see if the heating remains on? That's pretty much how it was confirmed mine had stopped working.

109005926.jpg

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
You mean this? Happened with ours as well. Might I suggest turning the heating off temporarily and leaving the hot water on and see if the heating remains on? That's pretty much how it was confirmed mine had stopped working.

View attachment 119477

That's a 3 port zone valve, and yes if he has a heat only or system boiler, then he'll have 1 of those or two of the two port valves which can fail, but also be manually switched over to get by for now.

My issue, is that he has a single channel programmer and receiver.. which works with combis... so no cylinder/immersion/zone valves..

We await pics of boiler.. showing data plate/model pls.. [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION]

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton

View attachment 119477

I had the opposite recently, no heating but hot water. It was whatever this gadget is. Screwfix and very easy to swop over. Don't need to change the pipe only the box. Check the cables are the same colours though.

LowKarate

Jan 6, 2004
Wombling free
Our boiler has stopped giving us hot water. The central heating from the same boiler is still working just fine.

The hot water is controlled by this box on the wall, which connects to another bigger box (second post) and then the boiler itself.

Any experts any idea what the likely issue is going to be?

(We have an immersion heater so we are urging that instead for now)

Turning the heating on in September (before you really need it) is usually the cause.

I don’t know how to fix it though.

That’ll be £50 for calling me out to post on this thread.

boik

Had this problem a couple of years back. It was the motor in the hot water valve. Easily replaced and cheap to do. Google will find you a video on how to test and how to replace. Screwfix have them in stock usually. Under £20

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
That's a 3 port zone valve, and yes if he has a heat only or system boiler, then he'll have 1 of those or two of the two port valves which can fail, but also be manually switched over to get by for now.

My issue, is that he has a single channel programmer and receiver.. which works with combis... so no cylinder/immersion/zone valves..

We await pics of boiler.. showing data plate/model pls.. [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION]

The heating is controlled by a little wireless box/thermostat thing we have in the house.

Heading back to the garage - pics coming in a few minutes...

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
If I press the +1HR button on box 1 it should give the hot water a 1 hour boost. I’m not sure if the PROG light on box 2 should light up when I do this, but it’s not lit.

119a6c6ced2e1eec51ef13bc7a46423d.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here