Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Hs2 v This.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
I am one of many here north of the Home Counties who are not impressed by Hs2,just electrify the whole network. We can't get anything like this 90mph within four mins. Stoke to Derby is an hour for thirty miles no wonder people use the A50 and drive in half the time and you can forget bus travel Leek to Hanley at £7-50 A/Rtn for a 24 mile round trip ! Rant over. :wave: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KCNlPvxomM&t=303s

Jul 7, 2003
HS2 is a vanity project that benefits very few. If they invested that money in resolving the issues around Manchester (and replacing the Northern Rail franchise) train travel in the North would be so much better.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
You are like a human Taboola. You'll never guess what Oswald Mosley looks like now.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
I am one of many here north of the Home Counties who are not impressed by Hs2,just electrify the whole network. We can't get anything like this 90mph within four mins. Stoke to Derby is an hour for thirty miles no wonder people use the A50 and drive in half the time and you can forget bus travel Leek to Hanley at £7-50 A/Rtn for a 24 mile round trip ! Rant over. :wave: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KCNlPvxomM&t=303s

Thanks for that, did the HH to Brighton for school and then the HH to London Bridge so really enjoyed that bit. Diesel in this bit of Wales not sure if HS2 will ever happen.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
I am one of many here north of the Home Counties who are not impressed by Hs2,just electrify the whole network. We can't get anything like this 90mph within four mins. Stoke to Derby is an hour for thirty miles no wonder people use the A50 and drive in half the time and you can forget bus travel Leek to Hanley at £7-50 A/Rtn for a 24 mile round trip ! Rant over. :wave:

Again, HS2 is not about speed. The east and west coast lines are at full capacity and new lines are needed to increase that.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I am one of many here north of the Home Counties who are not impressed by Hs2,just electrify the whole network. We can't get anything like this 90mph within four mins. Stoke to Derby is an hour for thirty miles no wonder people use the A50 and drive in half the time and you can forget bus travel Leek to Hanley at £7-50 A/Rtn for a 24 mile round trip ! Rant over.
Electrification doesn't mean faster. Cheaper to run (once installed) and cleaner, certainly, but not necessarily faster.

We have dual-power trains on the London route - electric when there are wires and diesel electric when not, and diesel electric units on the North East to South West cross country services - all can and do go up to 100mph.

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
Even Steam locos could hit 125mph, its not about the power source, it's about the infrastructure. Even the HST designed in the 70's had excellent acceleration.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
HS link between Manchester and Leeds would be WAY more beneficial to 'The Northern Powerhouse' and all its inhabitants. Current arrangements are beyond pathetic. Victorians would have just dug tunnels and built viaducts and made if happen double quick. Might have come up withsomething other than a two carriage converted bus chassis also.

Anytime I've used HS1 in recent years, off-peak, it's ZOOMED to Stratford and Ebbsfleet, then trundled pathetically slowly down to Faversham via a dozen Duck Halts.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here