Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Random Brighton / Palace rivalry incidents

Withdean and I

Aug 6, 2003
Most of us get to know of the bigger incidents that happen in and around our rivalry with ‘that lot up the road’ but there must be loads of random, funny, low key incidents that happen during everyday life in towns and villages.

When we were younger there was a group of lads we knew from our town on the Sussex coast that started going to Palace matches in their ‘Wright-Bright’ days.
They used to drink in the same pub as us. We once got back from an away day watching the Albion at Oxford (Manor Ground) only to turn up at the pub, pristine programme in my hand, only for one of them to grab it and rip it up!
Now I’m a lover not a fighter but that really upset me. The bloke himself was an utter twonk with issues but I still remember what he did.
I replaced the programme as I used to collect them.

There must be other stories out there of minor incidents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Most of us get to know of the bigger incidents that happen in and around our rivalry with ‘that lot up the road’ but there must be loads of random, funny, low key incidents that happen during everyday life in towns and villages.

When we were younger there was a group of lads we knew from our town on the Sussex coast that started going to Palace matches in their ‘Wright-Bright’ days.
They used to drink in the same pub as us. We once got back from an away day watching the Albion at Oxford (Manor Ground) only to turn up at the pub, pristine programme in my hand, only for one of them to grab it and rip it up!
Now I’m a lover not a fighter but that really upset me. The bloke himself was an utter twonk with issues but I still remember what he did.
I replaced the programme as I used to collect them.

There must be other stories out there of minor incidents.

Your very bored aren't you....

Not to mention a bit of a Frankie Howard....

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Palace fans hanging over the bridges on the A23 on the way back to Brighton gloating and gesticulating after a Palace win against us. An unpleasant memory for me.

This was a long time before the Bright-Wright days and we were normally top dogs in games against them in those days

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
I was victim of a drive by shouting this afternoon. There I was walking to the local Sainsbury’s with the wife, a car pulls up and I hear “we are Palace, super Palace....” shouted at me. Needless to say I returned a volley of “It ain’t over yet” and “you jammy bast*rds” as he zoomed off. I did know the fella, so it wasn’t entirely random.
Another very interesting tale, I’m sure you’ll agree.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Duffed him up!!!

Love that phrase

It's great isn't it as real old school. I like looking in the local paper court briefs and wouldn't it be nicer to see " Joe Blogs accused of assault by duffing ".

With regard to original incident I expect it the duffing didn't happen as somebody's dad must have been bigger than the other's :)

Withdean and I

Aug 6, 2003
Your very bored aren't you....

Not to mention a bit of a Frankie Howard....

Not at all, just love finding the daft stories of real life. Made me think about it coming back from London late last Tuesday and seeing a few Palace at Hayward’s Heath station after their match v Southampton.

There maybe hilarious stories as yet unknown of Brighton/Palace neighbours who genuinely don’t like each other.

We all know about the face-off’s surrounding every match but what about the person in your village who walks their dog in their Palace training top and it secretly winds you up.

Come on, there’s gold in them there hills!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Palace fans hanging over the bridges on the A23 on the way back to Brighton gloating and gesticulating after a Palace win against us. An unpleasant memory for me.

This was a long time before the Bright-Wright days and we were normally top dogs in games against them in those days

A colleague said that after we lost at Wembley May 1991, they did just that in Croydon.

Last edited:

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
A few years back we were driving up to Stockport for our do or die game ( my namesake got the only goal). On nearing Stockport a car drove past and beeped as we looked over he was giving the thumbs down sign , we were bemused until we saw his Brighton sticker in the rear window.
Well , we eventually caught up with him at the lights and pulled up next to him . He was looking steely straight ahead as we gestured at him amid much laughter , the lights changed and he stayed still so we moved away. On looking back his old women was giving him plenty of grief with the wagging finger working overtime :D

Last edited:

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Not an internationally known incident, but it went down well in my world.
When I was a yoof and still living at home, I chalked 'Palace are crap' on the many paving slabs that sided my parents house.
It took a while for the rain to get rid :D

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Didn’t speak to a group next to us on the beach in Algarve cos one of them had a Palace towel

origigull

Jun 29, 2009
On a wet day up at Palarse in the 70s I was in the Brighton away end when I was collared by the old bill and was asked to take off my shoes. They said my shoes were weapons of mass destruction. I was manhandled to the police box and gave over my shoes. There were loads of bovver boots and just my shoes. The policeman behind the desk had a 'what the f@@k' look when I handed over my shoes. The reason was I had blakeys (a little metal strip) in the heels. I had to wear crisp packets on my feet the whole game. No wonder I hate them up the road.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
On a wet day up at Palarse in the 70s I was in the Brighton away end when I was collared by the old bill and was asked to take off my shoes. They said my shoes were weapons of mass destruction. I was manhandled to the police box and gave over my shoes. There were loads of bovver boots and just my shoes. The policeman behind the desk had a 'what the f@@k' look when I handed over my shoes. The reason was I had blakeys (a little metal strip) in the heels. I had to wear crisp packets on my feet the whole game. No wonder I hate them up the road.

blakeys....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here